HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:16 AM
Chicago

1000 South Clark

October 6, 2015

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:17 AM
Chicago

9th and State

October 6, 2015

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:27 AM
Chicago

500 North Milwaukee

October 7, 2015

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:54 AM
Chicago

720 North LaSalle "HoJo Tower"

October 7, 2015

^ Assembling the tower crane; 707 North Wells in the foreground

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post

^ I agree this is turning out much better than I initially expected. I also like the limestone treatment of the base. What really will make a difference to me is how they treat the windows. If they are just fake, opaque windows with a blue-green background ala 2004, I'll be pretty disappointed. I really hope they just leave them the way they look now.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I agree this is turning out much better than I initially expected. I also like the limestone treatment of the base. What really will make a difference to me is how they treat the windows. If they are just fake, opaque windows with a blue-green background ala 2004, I'll be pretty disappointed. I really hope they just leave them the way they look now.
Ugh. I hate the base. It's MASSIVE and especially oppressive wedged as it is into a human-scaled, fine-grained streetscape. I'm meh about SCB in general but just exasperated by their continued total cluelessness when it comes to their towers' bases/podiums (with one or two exceptions).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 3:38 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yeah, this base is absolutely awful - awful. Not sure what people's expectations were for the base of this one.....I think it's exactly as it appeared in renderings - or at least exactly how I expected it to appear - and that's very, very bad. I mean, how clumsy and awkward is this thing, because of the base?

All that being said, I think that the tower itself here is just fantastic. The tower work here in my view is a step-up for SCB......very nice work.

Yet....

......Shame about that base.......

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 3:41 PM
you know where I'll be

1061 W Van Buren, 465 N Park

As mr Munchymunch mentioned over on the Lucas Museum thread (as that appears to be heading to Plan Commission next week), two high-rises appear to be headed to the meeting agenda: Pizzuti Companies-developed, Arquitectonica-designed 1061 W. Van Buren, and Jupiter Realty-developed, P/H-designed 465 N Park......

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 3:55 PM

The Halsted/Lake apartment tower has started getting glass on the west face. Didn't have time to take a pic unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
The Halsted/Lake apartment tower has started getting glass on the west face. Didn't have time to take a pic unfortunately.
My favorite part of this tower is its obstruction of Presidential Towers heading inbound on the Kennedy. No pic either, but its already starting to happen.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Ugh. I hate the base. It's MASSIVE and especially oppressive wedged as it is into a human-scaled, fine-grained streetscape. I'm meh about SCB in general but just exasperated by their continued total cluelessness when it comes to their towers' bases/podiums (with one or two exceptions).
This one is OK to me, but if those windows are dead-eyed (well, they're going to be), that's a bummer. The scoring on the precast panels looks ridiculous, though; for the prices they're charging for these condos, one would think they could get them to simulate actual masonry joints a little better (see the 'joints' that are inches away from the facade openings).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 5:48 PM

Not sure if this belongs in Highrise thread or general developments. It's vague:

From Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance Newsletter email:

Quote:
IMPORTANT SOUTH LOOP
COMMUNITY MEETING
Tues, October 20th at 6:30pm
Second Presbyterian Church, 1936 S. Michigan

More development in Store for the South Loop in 2015? Please Join the PDNA for this Very Important Community Meeting to Learn About Impacts to our Neighborhood. With real estate development and crime incidents heating up, It is critical that community members have the opportunity to ask questions and provide valuable feedback to our Alderman, 1st District/CAPS, City Officials and Developers.

Zoning attorneys and Developers will be on hand to provide more details on their project slated for the South Loop. 1st District Policing will be addressing concerns over recent spikes in crime in the South Loop.

Meeting Date: Tuesday, October 20, 2015
Meeting Time: 6:30pm
Meeting Location: Second Presbyterian Church, 1936 S. Michigan Ave. Limited parking in lot NE corner of Michigan and Cullerton
Meeting Agenda: PDNA Organization Update and South Loop Business Spotlight, 1st District Police Update, Proposed Developments and Updates and much more.
Special Guests: Alderman Pat Dowell and more to be announced

For more info, please email: pdna.chicasgo@gmail.com

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 7:30 PM
you know where I'll be

^ PDNA needs to be watered-down as a 'respected' community group in the South Loop/Near South Side. Tina Feldstein is simply the worst that humanity has to offer (I literally can't conjure up a creative reason for her persistently stubborn existence). THE. WORST. Period. Her voice must be ignored or drowned-out by the sounds of relentless progress and a future worth fighting for. Life must go on.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 8, 2015 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 7:39 PM
you know where I'll be

New Office Tower Outlook.....Brightens Further.....

I have to say I'm feeling very good right now about prospects for new tower launches as the first two office towers under construction this cycle continue to get filled-up with quite impressive speed (latest yesterday's news seen in Crain's that Navigant Consulting may soon sign a deal for a respectable chunk of 150 N Riverside).........this is only going to further embolden the developers of the office towers that are currently proposed, and the shrinkage of still-available space in the under-construction towers is going to prompt tenants that are set on newly constructed space (and there definitely are several large and several medium-sized tenants out there in the market) to commit to the proposed towers.....and, AND, AND - potentially spark another 1 or 2 serious, new, large office proposals to come to light over the next 6-9 months or so........good times......we're at that point in the cycle (for the next year or perhaps up to 2, maybe) where you wanna get a bit more aggressive.......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:26 PM
MPLSXCHI

Bet we'll see Jahn and 830 s Michigan there. ^^

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:43 PM
MPLSXCHI

Tribune Tower is for sale
Robert Channick-Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Tribune Tower, the historic Michigan Avenue home of the Chicago Tribune, is for sale.

The building's owner, Tribune Media, announced Thursday that it has hired real estate investment banker Eastdil Secured to explore an outright sale or partnership for redeveloping the 36-story building, which sits on 3 acres along one of Chicago's busiest shopping districts.

"The global renown of this building, its unparalleled location and development potential make this an incredible opportunity and we are expecting a high level of interest from a broad range of private and institutional investors and developers," Murray McQueen, president of Tribune Real Estate, said in a statement.

Tribune Real Estate unveiled conceptual plans last year to redevelop the parcel, potentially tripling Tribune Tower's space with residential, retail and hotel components. The landmarked neo-Gothic building, which houses the Chicago Tribune and other tenants, has 737,000 square feet of space but is zoned for up to 2.4 million square feet.

Built in 1925, Tribune Tower was designed by New York architects Raymond Hood and John Mead Howells, who won a contest held by Chicago Tribune co-publishers Robert R. McCormick and Joseph Patterson to create the newspaper's headquarters.

Named a Chicago landmark in 1989, Tribune Tower itself would likely remain a centerpiece of any redevelopment.

"This property offers 100 linear feet more frontage on Michigan Avenue than Rockefeller Center has on Fifth Avenue in New York City," McQueen said. "We see this as the future site of an exciting retail destination, surrounded by world-class adaptive re-use of the Tower and additional mixed use development."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...008-story.html

from press release
Quote:
Tribune Real Estate will explore all transaction options with a goal of maximizing proceeds to the company while creating a compelling mixed-use destination for the city.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ PDNA needs to be watered-down as a 'respected' community group in the South Loop/Near South Side. Tina Feldstein is simply the worst that humanity has to offer (I literally can't conjure up a creative reason for her persistently stubborn existence). THE. WORST. Period. Her voice must be ignored or drowned-out by the sounds of relentless progress and a future worth fighting for. Life must go on.....
Then go to the meeting, speak up, and drown out hers and other NIMBY voices...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:07 PM

^^ Oh damn, imagine if the Tribune Tower redevelopment uses the remain 1.7 million square feet of land. They better not mess this up.

In not as interesting news, here's a rendering of the 12 story high rise for Jefferson Park. That certainly is a lot of retail space, let's hope most of it doesn't go vacant

http://nadignewspapers.com/2015/10/0...07ac-272210017

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Bet we'll see Jahn and 830 s Michigan there. ^^
I'm not so sure. PDNA and Alderman Dowell are 3rd ward, Jahn and 830 S Michigan are 4th ward.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:24 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I'm not so sure. PDNA and Alderman Dowell are 3rd ward, Jahn and 830 S Michigan are 4th ward.
You're right sorry my bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations