HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Discussion of aesthetics aside, and flawed though it may be, an awful lot of design thought and resources went into creating the Thompson Center, and it would be a shame and a waste to just throw it all away 30 years after it's completion. Personally I think it's atrium is one of the most impressive publicly accessible interior spaces in a city that doesn't really offer that many.
This.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 11:28 PM
MPLSXCHI

I agree it's a beautiful building, the atrium is excellent... however the reason why they want to demolish because it noneffective. It's a terribly inefficient building, and as shown nobody likes working there. Hopefully they can try to reuse it, but I wont be complaining if they demolish it.

edit: yes the State is partially responsible for its condition

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 12:05 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Have you ever been in the Thompson Center when even just one escalator is down, which isn't a rare occurance. Tear it down! It would be ironic if Jahn designed an iconic tower in its place though....

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 12:08 AM
Chicago

200 North Michigan

October 14, 2015

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
If anyone looks back at preservation history, most of the arguments made now, are the same ones that brought down many buildings in the 1960s and 70s that we wish we still had today.
There is a definitely a formula at work to tear down landmarks including letting a building fall into disrepair and having someone prominent (like a governor) proclaim 'it's worthless, nobody will want it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it will be replaced with something better...' to lay the groundwork for destruction.

The arguments for tearing down Block 37 were similar. Of course, now we see those buildings could have been repurposed. And all the promises of a suitable replacement were nonsense. I recall a particularly galling newspaper article advocating for tearing down the block indicating that the presence of a wig store - I believe it was a wig store - somehow lessened a building and made it unworthy of saving (as though every store should be Tiffany). Point being, it doesn't seem to take much to sway the general public to support tearing down a landmark.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 12:59 AM
BANNED

Blair Kamin weighs in on the Thompson center. He favors reuse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...14-column.html

Spare Jahn's Thompson Center from Rauner's death sentence

Blair Kamin

October 14, 2015, 7:03 PM

Not so fast, Gov. Rauner.

In announcing that he wants the state to sell the Helmut Jahn-designed James R. Thompson Center in Chicago's Loop, the private-equity-investor-turned-governor all but endorsed its demolition. The building, he opined on Tuesday, is "just not usable for much of anything."

But handing down a death sentence for Jahn's 30-year-old postmodern glitter palace is both premature and ill-informed. By viewing the building's future through the prism of a spreadsheet, the governor is ignoring the vital role it plays in the life of the Loop — and how renovation could transform it into a far more appealing civic hub than it is today.

Renovation and repurposing, in short, should be considered before demolition.

Last edited by bnk; Oct 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:35 AM
BANNED

its built more like a mall than an office building. build a tower on top of it with a core in the atrium.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:16 AM

sloopin is reporting a potential new hotel (hilton?) for 11th and Wabash.

http://www.sloopin.com/2015/10/new-h...or-1101-s.html

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Baron View Post
sloopin is reporting a potential new hotel (hilton?) for 11th and Wabash.

http://www.sloopin.com/2015/10/new-h...or-1101-s.html
A few more details from the article above. Seems a little odd with a giant hilton just two blocks away.

Quote:
mixed use tower of 29 stoires, containing on-site parking (150 spaces), Hotel/Hilton (196 rooms) and extended stay (85 rooms), structure height 298' (maximum), ground level commercial of 3,000 s.f.+/-, ground level site 13,678 s.f., total building 233,587 s.f.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:20 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Well, it does say 'mixed-use', so perhaps it won't just be a hotel?

A couple of things:

Seems like there's a number of new forum members, based on recent posts, so welcome to all!

Apologies again, as I haven't yet had time to update page 1 and the project images that need to be reloaded/re-hosted. I went from 0 to 60 in about a week and half, and now I'm swamped with work. But I hope to update all of that within this next week.

Coincidentally, the projects I'm currently working on are two high-rise projects that have been mentioned here before...and cannot say anything more than that right now, unfortunately. Perhaps you'll be hearing something soon enough....

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Discussion of aesthetics aside, and flawed though it may be, an awful lot of design thought and resources went into creating the Thompson Center, and it would be a shame and a waste to just throw it all away 30 years after it's completion. Personally I think it's atrium is one of the most impressive publicly accessible interior spaces in a city that doesn't really offer that many.

If anyone looks back at preservation history, most of the arguments made now, are the same ones that brought down many buildings in the 1960s and 70s that we wish we still had today. When the Old Federal Building was demolished in 1965 at an age of only 60, it was considered outdated, inefficient, costly to maintain and worn out. But if it had managed to hold out for another 15 years, it would probably still be here.
Maybe some savvy developer could readapt it and stradle a tower over it while keeping the Thompson Center's atrium. Something like the dead SOM Transbay proposal

Source: SOM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
A few more details from the article above. Seems a little odd with a giant hilton just two blocks away.
I'm seeing 306' to upper roof on the dwgs I have. Plus, some of the units are 2 bedroom. That seems odd even for an extended stay hotel.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I didn't read the sketchy reports to indicate that is would necessarily be branded "Hilton". They have a whole host of brands - Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn to name a few. Any of those would make since at that address.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 4:14 PM

FYI, passed by 2950 N Sheridan the other day and it is under construction with cassion rigs running full bore. This will be rising soon, great addition to the little slice of downtown that is Sheridan Rd:

curbed

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 8:30 PM

1061 West Van Buren was approved by the plan commission, granted at a smaller scale than proposed two years ago.

The tower at one time was going to be about 32-33 stories and that's now down to 25 floors.
The unit count was at one time near 400 and that's now down to 298 apartments.

The developers stated that they'd like to get started mid-2016.

There will also be 6,000 sq ft of retail space, and the "tower" will be 275'.

Last edited by BVictor1; Oct 16, 2015 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
1061 West Van Buren was approved by the plan commission, granted at a smaller scale than proposed two years ago.

The tower at one time was going to be about 32-33 stories and that's now down to 25 floors.

Would this be a case where the developer purposely made his proposal bigger than he wanted, so that he could chop off a few floors and units to give to the Alderman some positive press when he tells the local NIMBYS he made the project smaller?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 9:02 PM
MPLSXCHI

Yes

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 9:30 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

Thanks for letting us know.....

And, what about 465 N Park Dr? Heard (approved) or postponed?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 9:52 PM
dream fast

10/14

200 N Mich

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:

There will also be 6,000 sq ft of retail space, and the "tower" will be 275'.

Last edited by BVictor1; Oct 16, 2015 at 1:08 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations