HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Twelve01West This glassy office building will add some nice contrast to the West Loop style of architecture
Not often that you see window wall and no spandrel glass on an office building. I guess this one will have all open ceilings. I think the glass looks pretty good.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:28 AM
THAT Guy

Cool little video showing a Chicago skyline model going up in bKL's office. It also seems to highlight some of the existing and future projects that I've seen rough models of before, including a tower on Wabash behind the CSO (this was going to be a potential supertall pre-recession) and a pair of buildings west of PT.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:11 AM
Chicago

14th & Wabash

August 22, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:12 AM
Chicago

Homewood Hilton - 1101 S Wabash

August 22, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:13 AM
Chicago

Renelle on the River - 403 N Wabash

August 23, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:45 PM

Looks like site prep work may be starting on the Roosevelt Collection tower:

http://www.sloopin.com/2018/08/const...roosevelt.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:19 PM

Hey guys, I'll be visiting from Philly for the first time on Friday, and I'm probably gonna have a day or two with nothing planned. As an architecture nerd, what would you guys say are the coolest/best things to see?
(Food recommendations are also appreciated).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Hey guys, I'll be visiting from Philly for the first time on Friday, and I'm probably gonna have a day or two with nothing planned. As an architecture nerd, what would you guys say are the coolest/best things to see?
Check out the new CAF (Chicago Architecure Foundation) center on East Illinois to orient yourself, and definitely take their architectural boat tour. They do a lot of walking tours as well if you’ve got appetite for more, but the boat tour is a must. If you want to do something self-guided, buy a book like the AIA guide to Chicago (no doubt available from CAF).

The West Loop has many of the most interesting restaurants these days. Anything from Brendan Sodikoff (Au Cheval, Navette’s, Maude’s, etc) or Paul Kahan (Blackbird, avec, the Publican, etc) is worth checking out. If you like your Mexican food, check out Pilsen (look at Eater or something like that for specifics). For the main traditional foods, try Al’s #1 for Italian beef, Pequod’s for Chicago style deep dish (if you care enough to go up there and wait), or Lou Malnati’s (various locations) if you don’t.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You could always check this old thread out its 46 pages and starts in 2006. It is kind of old though activity seemed to end in 2013 but I can give you a rough idea.

The Official "I'm visiting/moving to Chicago, what should I do?" Thread

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...338356&page=46

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:58 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post

Damn, that came out of left field. Forgot completely about this one.

God save the highrise boom

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:59 PM
The City

Quote:
I would eat a hot dog and check out this really neat gas station at Roosevelt and Wabash

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Check out the new CAF (Chicago Architecure Foundation) center on East Illinois to orient yourself, and definitely take their architectural boat tour. They do a lot of walking tours as well if you’ve got appetite for more, but the boat tour is a must. If you want to do something self-guided, buy a book like the AIA guide to Chicago (no doubt available from CAF).

The West Loop has many of the most interesting restaurants these days. Anything from Brendan Sodikoff (Au Cheval, Navette’s, Maude’s, etc) or Paul Kahan (Blackbird, avec, the Publican, etc) is worth checking out. If you like your Mexican food, check out Pilsen (look at Eater or something like that for specifics). For the main traditional foods, try Al’s #1 for Italian beef, Pequod’s for Chicago style deep dish (if you care enough to go up there and wait), or Lou Malnati’s (various locations) if you don’t.
+1 to all of this. The grand opening of the new CAF location is actually this weekend, so your visit is well-timed. I've enjoyed every one of the walking tours I've done with them, so definitely check out that list and see if any tickle your fancy. They tend to be ~2 hours though, so may or may not fit into your schedule / desire to be on your feet.

In addition to all of the above, there's a few other ways you can work architecture into some of the Chicago stuff you might want to do anyway:
  • If you are flying Southwest into Midway, try to get a window seat on the right side of the plane. Frequently (but not always), you can get an excellent view of the skyline out of your window (see here for an example). If you are flying into O'Hare try for the left side, although usually they approach path isn't as nice.
  • If you are going to any of the museum at Museum campus (Field museum, Shedd aquarium, Adler planetarium), head to the water's edge on the north side of Adler planetarium to get one of the best views of the skyline.
  • You can also get good skyline views from the north side beaches, especially Oak St and North Ave beaches. From North Ave beach, you can walk/bike up the lakefront path to near Fullerton, where the land juts out east and there's a great viewpoint
  • Grant Park is great to walk around, and a very neat effect with skyscrapers walling it in from 3 sides. Millennium Park is full of tourists, but still very much worth a visit to get your picture with the Bean like everyone else
  • If you are going to Navy Pier (wouldn't recommend unless you are with young children), you can walk a couple blocks west to check out the under construction One Bennett Park, whose exterior is almost finished.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:20 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Have we seen this here before? Lucian LaGrange 'architecture', in the South Loop, 14th and Wabash..although it is being marketed as a TOD since there are 'only' two levels of parking:

http://www.lucienlagrange.com/14th-a...cago-home-info

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Have we seen this here before? Lucian LaGrange 'architecture', in the South Loop, 14th and Wabash..although it is being marketed as a TOD since there are 'only' two levels of parking:
yes quite a while ago now.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:37 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
yes quite a while ago now.
Meh, maybe I deliberately purged it from my memory..

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:

A sure sign the cycle is closing in on an end.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:16 PM
The City

Quote:

I'm requoting this because it got lost in the "what to do in Chicago" and Lucien LaGrange's crap-tower discussion.

This is pretty significant. Another one from back in the day about to start construction.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:27 PM

Greyhound bus site on Chicago River moves closer to big residential development
Quote:
Buss line Greyhound is moving forward with plans to move a maintenance facility off Goose Island, paving the way for another large real estate development along the Chicago River.
Greyhound has had the property — mostly at 901 N. Halsted St., but also including land across the street at 904 N. Halsted — up for sale since January 2017. In March, Crain’s Chicago Business reported that Onni Group wanted to buy the property, demolish the existing structure and build as many as 1,000 apartments on the site.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...story,amp.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Greyhound bus site on Chicago River moves closer to big residential development

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...story,amp.html
Wow, ambitious. Onni is really jumping on to the scene. I wonder how much demand there is to live on Goose Island?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:11 PM

Do you know whats the estimated height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm requoting this because it got lost in the "what to do in Chicago" and Lucien LaGrange's crap-tower discussion.

This is pretty significant. Another one from back in the day about to start construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations