HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 1:58 PM
I've been around

Cumberland/Galleria filling in - soon liveable community?

Have you noticed that the Cumberland area is beginning to fill in? I can't wait to see Cumberland turn into a real livable community like Perimeter and other areas. Right now it's just a bunch of disjoint office park and strip malls. The Cumberland mall had that outdoor shopping area added along with some new buildings, and there is a planned development near the strip mall across from the Galleria along Aker's Mill. Additionally, down near Cumberland, there is a mixed-use community going in across from Copeland's and the AMC, Park Vinings across Cumberland Blvd from that, and another shopping center across 75 on Cumberland Blvd.

Does anyone know where to find any pictures of the plans? I've only seen the billboards when driving by and some ground-breaking happening.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 2:08 PM

I wish I could buy a condo up here because it's right on top of that ridge guaranteeing incredible views, but alas I haven't seen anything less that $400k.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Have you noticed that the Cumberland area is beginning to fill in? I can't wait to see Cumberland turn into a real livable community like Perimeter and other areas. Right now it's just a bunch of disjoint office park and strip malls. The Cumberland mall had that outdoor shopping area added along with some new buildings, and there is a planned development near the strip mall across from the Galleria along Aker's Mill. Additionally, down near Cumberland, there is a mixed-use community going in across from Copeland's and the AMC, Park Vinings across Cumberland Blvd from that, and another shopping center across 75 on Cumberland Blvd.

Does anyone know where to find any pictures of the plans? I've only seen the billboards when driving by and some ground-breaking happening.
Park Vinings is the biggest joke in Atlanta condo lore. Vaporware. Too much too soon for that part of town.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Park Vinings is the biggest joke in Atlanta condo lore. Vaporware. Too much too soon for that part of town.
Why too much too soon? I thought Vinings had some of highest real estate value (i'm sure it's up there with Buckhead, Midtown as most desirable) in all of Metro Atlanta and is filling in rapidly?

Cobb Pkwy&Cumberland Blvd may not be the heart of Vinings but its only a stones throw away (and the Chattahoochee).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 5:23 PM
Oak City

Some crappy old pictures of mine of the area:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid0NE View Post
Why too much too soon? I thought Vinings had some of highest real estate value (i'm sure it's up there with Buckhead, Midtown as most desirable) in all of Metro Atlanta and is filling in rapidly?
Nobody is going to spend the kind of money they'll need to live in Park Vinings and then drive to somewhere (Buckhead) to shop & eat at places they're accustomed to in their price range. Vinings/Cumberland isn't there yet. PV has been on the boards for 8 years now, it may be another 8 before it hits the market.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 9:47 PM

Galleria Office Complex

View from the new CobbEnergy Performing Arts Center;

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 1:28 PM

The Aberdeen, this is more Vinings speed, a perfect match for the area.

Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates
An artist's rendering of The Aberdeen, a 12-story luxury condo tower planned for Vinings. Construction is scheduled to start in a month, with occupancy in mid-2009.

All the amenities with a great skyline view

By BILL HENDRICK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/20/07

WHAT IT IS

Want to live within a stone's throw of the spot where Union Gen. William T. Sherman is said to have watched Atlanta burn? Got at least $750,000 for a new condo with a view of Atlanta's skyline? Want to be spoiled in an upscale community with 24-hour security, concierge service, an outdoor fireplace and grilling center, a health club and an 18,000-square-foot outdoor pavilion where you can play bocce ball, go swimming or practice your putting?

Coming soon to a mountaintop in Vinings is The Aberdeen, which offers those features in a $73 million, 12-story luxury condo tower. The project is under construction at 4700 Paces Ferry Road in Vinings. Geoff Anderson is building the tower with his father, former Atlanta Falcons player Taz Anderson.

A typical two- or three-bedroom condo will have 2,800 square feet of living space, and there will be 14 penthouse units. The highest-priced will go for $2 million or more.

WHAT IMPACT IT WILL HAVE

The tower is being built atop a 2.7-acre hill in one of metro Atlanta's real estate hot spots, and the Andersons tout the project as a great place for Buckheadites tired of the traffic and crowds on Peachtree. Taz Anderson himself plans to give up his Buckhead lifestyle and move into a new home in The Aberdeen. But while slightly slower-paced than Buckhead, Vinings is growing fast, along with the rest of Cobb County, whose population has grown more than 12 percent since the year 2000. The Andersons said the condos will have a low impact on traffic because it won't be a mixed-use building. The Aberdeen will add substantially to Cobb's tax rolls, as the average unit will go for $1.3 million.

WHEN IT WILL BE DONE

Geoff Anderson said construction will start in a month, and that 13 of the 55 units have been sold for about $23 million. They'll be ready for occupancy, he says, in mid-2009.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:10 AM

Right, and it looks like some of the other condo projects that have gone up in the area recently, in the 10-17 floor range. Start small and work your way up!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:35 PM
I've been around

Why do you believe the Aberdeen has a better chance than Park Vinings? Wouldn't the views be better on Park Vinings? Additionally, because of the small footprint of Park Vinings, more floors doesn't necessarily mean more units. Across from the sign from Park Vinings, there's a new mixed-use community going in, so there should be plenty of shopping. The only difference I can think of that will really matter, long-term, is that Vinings village is cuter and Cumberland is more commercial.

Last edited by netdragon; Aug 31, 2007 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Why do you believe the Aberdeen has a better chance than Park Vinings? Wouldn't the views be better on Park Vinings? Additionally, because of the small footprint of Park Vinings, more floors doesn't necessarily mean more units. Across from the sign from Park Vinings, there's a new mixed-use community going in, so there should be plenty of shopping. The only difference I can think of that will really matter, long-term, is that Vinings village is cuter and Cumberland is more commercial.
Aberdeen at Vinings is appealing to the older empty-nester crowds/retirees, and are doing so successfully (I think 25-35% have been sold already). Park Vinings is the type of community that is going to appeal more to the working CEO professional, and I think I agree with other folks here - it isn't going to fly too well in that market because it is not "trendy" right now. I cannot explain any better than that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Park Vinings is once again put on the back burner.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 5:43 AM

The Buckhead skyline from the area (taken a couple of months ago at the edge of the Eckerd's parking lot at the top of the hill on Paces Ferry):

Historic Vinings is actually a nice, quaint, urban area along Paces Ferry. Didn't even know it existed until a friend of mine moved to the area about a year or so ago. With some vision, it could serve as the historic core of an emerging urbanizing area. But for some reason, I don't think it will happen.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:45 AM

Looks like I'm not the only person on this forum who's stayed at the Waverly.

Seriously though, Cumberland has potential. It's undisputably Atlanta's #2 edge city, and a lot of the surrounding area is seeing new development.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:25 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Looks like I'm not the only person on this forum who's stayed at the Waverly.
Yeah AWA!!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Yeah AWA!!!
Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed myself there last month!

And it's always nice to pay a visit to the Big Peach.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:56 PM

You can't build without Water. Me worries that there will be a lot of cranes in the very near future just sitting there not building anything.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
You can't build without Water. Me worries that there will be a lot of cranes in the very near future just sitting there not building anything.
stop already, there's a thread about atlanta water in which you've made your thoughts on the subject perfectly clear. no need to troll all the atlanta threads to keep the topic going. you're a poke in the eye.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
stop already, there's a thread about atlanta water in which you've made your thoughts on the subject perfectly clear. no need to troll all the atlanta threads to keep the topic going. you're a poke in the eye.
That wasn't designed to make a poke in the eye of anyone. It's just not gonna be feasible to build anything if water supplies continue to dwindle. There is nothing wrong with making the realistic point that in my opinion, ALL projects under construction should be placed on hold if conditions do not improve, and all proposed projects should be put on hold indefinitely until conditions improve.

Best case situation is that things are at a standstill this winter and things start back up in a big way once we get into next year and have enough water to support the existing infrastructure as well as any new projects on the table.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
That wasn't designed to make a poke in the eye of anyone. It's just not gonna be feasible to build anything if water supplies continue to dwindle. There is nothing wrong with making the realistic point that in my opinion, ALL projects under construction should be placed on hold if conditions do not improve, and all proposed projects should be put on hold indefinitely until conditions improve.

Best case situation is that things are at a standstill this winter and things start back up in a big way once we get into next year and have enough water to support the existing infrastructure as well as any new projects on the table.
your post is of little or no practical value or meaning - you responded to a post about infill in the northwest quadrant of altanta which will unfold over many years, not just this winter.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
your post is of little or no practical value or meaning - you responded to a post about infill in the northwest quadrant of altanta which will unfold over many years, not just this winter.
And that long term vision will have to be directly tied to infrastructure improvements and the like that everyone on here has complained about there being a lack of over the past couple of years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta