HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 9:17 PM

Unfinished construction projects

Are there any other unfinished construction projects in the Metro Vancouver / Fraser Valley areas; like this on at 104 Ave & 141st Street in Surrey?

It's an abandoned mall owned by a cowboy in Nevada.

Google Map Street view of the building.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Are there any other unfinished construction projects in the Metro Vancouver / Fraser Valley areas; like this on at 104 Ave & 141st Street in Surrey?

It's an abandoned mall owned by a cowboy in Nevada.

Google Map Street view of the building.
It was completed. Its used for the Surrey Mayor's Ball and that's about it.

The original purchasers ran into money issues. Its owned by a Billionaire that resides in Arizona. He only will lease the whole building and not portions of it, thus the demand is non-existent.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCityDeveloper View Post
It was completed. Its used for the Surrey Mayor's Ball and that's about it.

The original purchasers ran into money issues. Its owned by a Billionaire that resides in Arizona. He only will lease the whole building and not portions of it, thus the demand is non-existent.
Thanks for the additional information regarding this building. I always wondered why there were no commercial leasing opportunities for this project. The stubbornness of the billionaire really has created a toxic asset on the books. There is also something about the building looking like a mental hospital rather than an aesthetic office complex.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:15 AM
More Towers

At least the fence company makes money.

Why is that building down the road next to those yellow house blurred out in Google Maps? Is it covered in swastikas or something?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
At least the fence company makes money.

Why is that building down the road next to those yellow house blurred out in Google Maps? Is it covered in swastikas or something?
I don't know if the feature is available in Canada, but in Germany you can request that Google Street View blurred out your house and they must, by law, comply. You can't see my apartment building in Berlin.

I think it's a bit absurd, since you have no expectation of privacy in a public space or when viewed from a public area.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 7:17 AM

The least that Google does is blur things for peoples' privacy.

The most they can do? Black out (and literally black out) entire portions of routes. It's been done already on various stretches of roads in Ottawa, for probably obvious (cough security cough) reasons.

Even then though, I don't really get why that would be necessary, as someone can still physically poke around and take their own images without a problem.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 8:01 AM
See ya down under, mates

None of the roads in the native reserve near my place have street view, which is understandable I guess, but you can still see across them from the closest honkey street.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley