HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 10:43 PM

the theatre will be part of the development going in at king george station though isn't it?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the theatre will be part of the development going in at king george station though isn't it?
It depends on what drawings you look at. Some have it in, some have it not. Heck 1 set shows a Walmart which we know isn't going to go in there. So until I see final plans in front of council that show a theater, I'll assume it isn't in the cards yet.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:10 PM

with best buy closing and target done, any ideas for what could be coming in? I think walmart is a good bet any other thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalley13 View Post
with best buy closing and target done, any ideas for what could be coming in? I think walmart is a good bet any other thoughts?
Best Buy is closing? I know at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond, the Future Shop store is closing. 65 out of the 66 stores will be turned into Best Buys apparently.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Best Buy is closing? I know at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond, the Future Shop store is closing. 65 out of the 66 stores will be turned into Best Buys apparently.
No, you misunderstood the news. 65 are being rebranded and 66 are closing. So more than half are closing for good.

In Richmond we are going from 3 stores to 1 store (arguably the weakest of the three is the one that will remain... makes no sense).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:42 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalley13 View Post
Residential/office developments. I think target will likely be torn down to make way for an office building/SFU extension. It just makes perfect sense.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:49 PM

Relax. Whalleyboy likely mixed up Future Shop and Best Buy.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:34 AM
Traveller Extraodinaire

I have a few ideas for Central City:
  • Move Best Buy, BMO and White Spot into the mall.
  • Convert the mall access way between Old Yale and 102 Ave into an extension of the City Parkway.
  • Clear the parking lot east of the Skytrain tracks and develop it!

Why not have mixed use developments facing both the new extension of the City Parkway (To create the first new section of a shopping street) and King George while punching through 101 Ave to break up the mega block?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:27 AM

There's a reason why BMO has its own separated space from Guildford Mall and Coast Capital is moving out of Guildford Mall to have its own separated space in the old A&W building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:43 AM

When I saw the NEW STORES IN CENTRAL CITY string pop-up on this blog, I half imagined an Aston Martin dealership was opening in Whalley.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:54 AM

Take a look at Google maps and you'll see basically a long string of strip malls on either side of King George from 100th to 108th (and the mall parking lot). Next to nothing is showing on here about those ground hugging lots being built up. Hell I'd love to see all those small strip malls be replaced with even four story mixed developments. Yes bigger would be better - but I doubt developers are in any hurry to build up those lots, which should happen before the mall parking lot gets eyed for towers.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:39 AM

I had heard rumours that a homesense was planning on opening some where in north surrey. Maybe they will look at taking over the future shops spot in the mall.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:00 PM

More dollar stores. The one in Central City right now is busier than Target ever was.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
I had heard rumours that a homesense was planning on opening some where in north surrey. Maybe they will look at taking over the future shops spot in the mall.
Makes sense since they like to be connected to each other.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Take a look at Google maps and you'll see basically a long string of strip malls on either side of King George from 100th to 108th (and the mall parking lot). Next to nothing is showing on here about those ground hugging lots being built up. Hell I'd love to see all those small strip malls be replaced with even four story mixed developments. Yes bigger would be better - but I doubt developers are in any hurry to build up those lots, which should happen before the mall parking lot gets eyed for towers.
From what I understand, all those minimalls up and down King George have been bought out by the developers already. They might not get renovated any time soon, but the plans are in motion.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
From what I understand, all those minimalls up and down King George have been bought out by the developers already. They might not get renovated any time soon, but the plans are in motion.
Oh I hope so. I wonder how many towers would go in there vs midrise development. Would they build something similar to Beresford near Metrotown, or would they go for something more like Highgate Village (with or without the towers).

From Bosa

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
I have a few ideas for Central City:
  • Move Best Buy, BMO and White Spot into the mall.
  • Convert the mall access way between Old Yale and 102 Ave into an extension of the City Parkway.
  • Clear the parking lot east of the Skytrain tracks and develop it!

Why not have mixed use developments facing both the new extension of the City Parkway (To create the first new section of a shopping street) and King George while punching through 101 Ave to break up the mega block?
This is actually in the cities long term plans for the area. Along with pulling 101ave all the way through the building frescos is in.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 11:56 PM

i thought homesense was going into the king george development.

target upper level couldeasily be arranged/changed into smaller stores, i guess the bottom level too could be, as it is the bottom level feels quite disconeccted to the second upper level

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:09 AM

Only thing that annoys me about the Future Shop closing down is the fact the elevator in that new section exited on the top floor in futureshop and nobody seemed to know it was there. So it is now closed down and can't be used. Have to go in and use the elevator near T&T when I go to the mall with my baby in her buggy. Not a bit deal except for the fact for some reason there are a lot of lazy dipshit 20 year olds that shop at T&T and are too lazy to go use the escalator all of 100 feet away and end up causing a huge line up for that one elevator.

They should leave the elevators for people that actually need them.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Only thing that annoys me about the Future Shop closing down is the fact the elevator in that new section exited on the top floor in futureshop and nobody seemed to know it was there. So it is now closed down and can't be used. Have to go in and use the elevator near T&T when I go to the mall with my baby in her buggy. Not a bit deal except for the fact for some reason there are a lot of lazy dipshit 20 year olds that shop at T&T and are too lazy to go use the escalator all of 100 feet away and end up causing a huge line up for that one elevator.

They should leave the elevators for people that actually need them.
hmm yeah that's the only elevator now. There used to be elevators in Target too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley