HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 4:22 PM
self-important urbanista

NCounter in downtown Phoenix hasn't caught on the same way as the original location in Tempe. I've not noticed a difference with the food, but there's a big difference in location. The Mill Avenue restaurant's generous patio is shaded by the ficus trees and dense development along that street. The downtown Phoenix location has a patio, but it has minimal shade and faces east towards the rising sun. That's a bad combination for a breakfast restaurant and leaves the patio unused at least half the year. The other problem is that the patio faces the parking lot of the radio stations across the street. That's another missed opportunity for shade and an unappealing view. Inside, the dining room is fine, but the outdoor experience is a key part of NCounter's success on Mill, and that is hard to replicate at the location chosen in downtown Phoenix. If I were the emperor of Union, I'd make Genuwine and NCounter trade spaces. Genuwine does most of its business at night when the sun would be behind Union, and NCounter would have more shade on the north side of the building.

Last edited by exit2lef; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
NCounter in downtown Phoenix hasn't caught on the same way as the original location in Tempe. I've not noticed a difference with the food, but there's a big difference in location. The Mill Avenue restaurant's generous patio is shaded by the ficus trees and dense development along that street. The downtown Phoenix location has a patio, but it has minimal shade and faces east towards the rising sun. That's a bad combination for a breakfast restaurant and leaves the patio unused at least half the year. The other problem is that the patio faces the parking lot of the radio stations across the street. That's another missed opportunity for shade and an unappealing view. Inside, the dining room is fine, but the outdoor experience is a key part of NCounter's success on Mill, and that is hard to replicate at the location chosen in downtown Phoenix. If I were the emperor of Union, I'd make Genuwine and NCounter trade spaces. Genuwine does most of its business at night when the sun would be behind Union, and NCounter would have more shade on the north side of the building.
The Radio station is in a prime location I have a feeling the people who sit on that land are itching to sell/redevelop it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 5:20 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The Radio station is in a prime location I have a feeling the people who sit on that land are itching to sell/redevelop it.
I sure hope so. Right now, the parking lot is an eyesore and a waste of prime land. The building itself looks like it might have some good bones beneath all that stucco.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 5:31 PM

Didn't even think about the hours of operations for Snooze. Like someone above me said, can the ground retail space support two businesses? Think a restaurant staying open late would also do great here

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 5:37 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Didn't even think about the hours of operations for Snooze. Like someone above me said, can the ground retail space support two businesses? Think a restaurant staying open late would also do great here
Will Snooze face east as well? That location might have more shade, though.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 6:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
There will be a total of 6,300 sf of retail space available and Snooze will take up 4,000 of that including the mezzanine. So this means it will be in the primary retail spot.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
There will be a total of 6,300 sf of retail space available and Snooze will take up 4,000 of that including the mezzanine. So this means it will be in the primary retail spot.
2000 sqft is still a decent size for a traditional bar/restauraunt so hopefully something along those lines that will be open until 2 am will locate next door.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 7:43 PM

Already starting build out for snooze

https://i.imgur.com/nPKXKgM.jpg

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
And Matt’s...
Matts will be fine, but I'd be worried if I was Ncounter.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
There toughest news for encounter is just being encounter. I go there some times and it's always fairly deserted.
There's been a fair amount of business the times I've been there. But I would be worried about another, what sounds like a better breakfast place a block away. I've never been to Snooze. Ncounter is more fast casual though, so I guess we will see. There will also be about 500 plus new people living across the street too so idk.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:46 PM

Snooze brunch restaurant to open in old Circles Records in downtown Phoenix

Construction to start this month...

Quote:
The downtown decor will resemble the other Snoozes, from the lively color scheme to the iconic circular booths. Construction begins this month on the 5,390-square-foot space that boasts a mezzanine level, a feature unique to this location. The original store front will remain intact.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ng/2455623002/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Construction to start this month...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ng/2455623002/
Really not excited about this. What a waste. Snooze is cool, but it's not open at night. Would've be perfect for a brewery or sports bar.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:13 PM

Plenty of cool bars already open and planning to open.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Plenty of cool bars already open and planning to open.
But that's the coolest building.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
But that's the coolest building.
It's more comforting to see a breakfast spot on the ground floor as opposed to a 'loud bar' if you're considering renting an apt.

That said, I have been waiting for Four Peaks to open Downtown and that could have been a great space for them.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 1:39 AM

Arizona wilderness is about to open.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 2:05 PM
Modulator

Snooze will be fine in this spot and will be a good spot for residents that want to grab breakfast on the way out to work and don't want to cook. Don't forget that the Grand is only about a 500' walk if they want to grab a drink.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:17 PM

Breakfast joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Snooze will be fine in this spot and will be a good spot for residents that want to grab breakfast on the way out to work and don't want to cook. Don't forget that the Grand is only about a 500' walk if they want to grab a drink.
Matt's will be fine, and I actually think NCounter will benefit from spillover/change of pace customers. If that general area becomes known for a good breakfast (don't forget Be Coffee's really solid breakfast sandwich, Jobot, Songbird, and Rise), it will either raise all boats, or expose a bad experience. I like the morning traffic for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:52 PM

From the rendering in the article, it almost looks like Snooze isn't going to occupy the circular corner part of the building. I wonder if that's true and something else may go there, or it just looks that way and they will be occupying it all.

Also, what's the plan for the vintage rotating sign? I haven't seen anything about that, but that could be awesome if they restore it, especially if they restore it to it's original state (I believe the "Circles Records" part is just a skin they put on it, and the original Stewart Motor Company signage is still underneath it. Would be incredible to uncover that and restore the neon as well. That might become the best vintage sign in the state if restored.)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
From the rendering in the article, it almost looks like Snooze isn't going to occupy the circular corner part of the building. I wonder if that's true and something else may go there, or it just looks that way and they will be occupying it all.

Also, what's the plan for the vintage rotating sign? I haven't seen anything about that, but that could be awesome if they restore it, especially if they restore it to it's original state (I believe the "Circles Records" part is just a skin they put on it, and the original Stewart Motor Company signage is still underneath it. Would be incredible to uncover that and restore the neon as well. That might become the best vintage sign in the state if restored.)
Those renderings in the article are just regular one from The Stewart. It will be occupying the circular corner. Way back when construction started, the developer mentioned they were bringing back/restoring it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest