HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 3:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...atlantic-yards

After Negative Report, Bloomberg Cheers Louder for Atlantic Yards

By Eliot Brown
September 10, 2009

With an election two months away, Mayor Bloomberg certainly isn’t running away from Atlantic Yards, the $4.9 billion mega-project that never ceases to elicit fervent opposition in neighboring areas of Brooklyn.

Confronted Thursday with an Independent Budget Office report that alleges the centerpiece Nets arena is a net-money loser for the city—which is incentivizing the project with $169 million in discretionary subsidy—Mr. Bloomberg loudly hailed the project, implicitly comparing the private development to the city's finest public assets.

“I don’t know what the IBO studies would have shown back when they tried to establish the value of Central Park or Prospect Park or anything else,” he told reporters. “These are the kinds of projects you have to do because without that we don’t have a future, and we’re going to get this one done.”

Mr. Bloomberg criticized the report, saying it says “that if you count the costs, but don’t count the benefits, it doesn’t make any money.” That seems like something of an unfair simplification of a complex issue, but regardless, he went on to further laud the project.

“The Atlantic Yards is a project that we really need—it will be great for this city, it will be great for Brooklyn,” he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:23 PM

This design makes cyclops look cool. However, if Ratner is able to finally get Miss Brooklyn built it won't look too terrible different than the gehry design. It will still have the circular look between the skyscrapers which is the main thing I miss from the gehry design. I wasn't too crazy about that metal curved all over the place.

Also, I hope this roof is carved in a shape that will leave room down the road for them to reconsider putting that mini-park on top of it like the gehry design had.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

i thin k most here would agree that the first Gehry design for the arena, without metal potato chips and with rooftop track, was the best. Oh well, I guess we can't lament something that never was.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 9:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
if Ratner is able to finally get Miss Brooklyn built it won't look too terrible different than the gehry design.
That plaza with the "Barclays Arena" is a placeholder for Miss Brooklyn, but it may just grow on people enough that when the time comes to build, there will be more whining about it.

Quote:

gothamist.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That plaza with the "Barclays Arena" is a placeholder for Miss Brooklyn, but it may just grow on people enough that when the time comes to build, there will be more whining about it.
I noticed Ratner already has the high rise to the left of the building still in the rendering. Does that mean he plans on building it when he breaks ground on the arena unlike Miss Brooklyn? I thought the building to the right was going to be a high rise of = height to the one to the left, it looks much smaller here.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 2:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I noticed Ratner already has the high rise to the left of the building still in the rendering. Does that mean he plans on building it when he breaks ground on the arena unlike Miss Brooklyn? I thought the building to the right was going to be a high rise of = height to the one to the left, it looks much smaller here.
Ratner may start with the smaller tower if he plans to start construction soon on both the arena and a residential tower.

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/ny...l?_r=1&src=twr

In an interview last month, Mr. Ratner said he planned to start the first residential tower, which would contain a large percentage of units for low-, moderate- and middle-income families, about six to nine months after work began on the arena.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 2:23 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...c-yards?page=0

Talking SHoP About Atlantic Yards

By Eliot Brown
September 14, 2009

You’ve been brought into Atlantic Yards to design the Nets arena along with the firm Ellerbe Becket. How did you get involved?

We just got a call from Bruce [Ratner, the project’s developer] one day. I think Bruce said, ‘I’d like to come visit your office. I’ve talked to a lot of people around the city, and they told me you might be the firm that could figure out a great design and figure out something that could be built, and could do it really fast.’ And so he came over, and we had a great conversation, and that’s how it started.

What’s he like to deal with?

I like Bruce. He’s very intense. He’s very smart, and he’s dealing with a lot of things at one time, but I know his heart is really in making a fabulous design.

It’s kind of odd—they used to do these really boring designs, and then suddenly with the Times building— Suddenly it’s Renzo, Gehry, and SHoP.

Great company.

We’re honored to be even uttered in the same sentence.

So that was June that he came in?

Yes.

What was the task you were given?

The task was, ‘We need you to get up to speed as quickly as possible in understanding what this building is and all of its constraints, and we need you to collaborate with Ellerbe Becket. And we need you to do what you do best, which is figure out a way to make a beautiful building, and figure out a way to build it.’

Was it mostly the exterior?

I think we started there, but very quickly we had to think about the integration between the two.

Coming late in the game, I assume it constrained your options. You couldn’t completely rethink an arena, right?

Absolutely. Look, EB is known for making some fantastic arenas, so there were certain things about the basic protoform that EB had a lot of experience doing and the client was really excited about, so we saw that as a parameter. So where the steel was set—we didn’t want to start redesigning all the steel, so take the steel where it is, and just make some really precise small changes and see what you can do to push the building into the next realm of architecture.

One of the big distinguishing features of the exterior are these metal steel bands that are wavy. How did you settle on that?

Metal seemed to be the right kind of material, and I think we were trying to avoid a finished type of material, like a painted material. We really wanted a natural material, because we felt over time, that would weather and patina and be more authentic. … So natural materials—there aren’t that many, and when we got to thinking about weathered steel, we thought, that could be really cool. It has a grittiness to it, but also a sort of refinement.

Is it tough being part of a project that is a target of a lot of caustic criticism?

Yeah. We gave serious consideration as to whether we wanted to do it. And I think the thing that convinced us was, after speaking with Bruce, we were convinced he really wanted to make a great building. … We showed Bruce—we didn’t hold back, we said, ‘Here’s what we want to do,’ and it was daring, and, ‘What do you think?’ And he really loved it, and was incredibly supportive and pushed us to make it as good as possible. And even knowing that the project was going to have its critics no matter what we designed, we felt like it’s our role as New Yorkers to try to make it as good as we could.

With the rest of the project, is it awkward designing the arena not knowing what the four buildings that border it are going to look like?

We were always told to design a building that can stand on its own, but one that clearly doesn’t have anything that can obstruct the rest of the plan. … That was another difficult part of it, thinking about both contexts.

Would you want to do some of the buildings around it?

Yes.

Is it awkward to be designing a project that’s making a superblock out of something that was a grid? Urban planning is generally going the other direction.

Over a site that has that much transportation infrastructure, I think it’s the only ethical, rational, sustainable thing to do to put density, and sometimes density requires some superblocks.

What did you think of the Gehry design?

I thought it was a brilliant design. I thought the idea of nestling an arena inside four towers was really, really interesting, and I thought it would have been a really exciting project.

Does the design allow the towers to still do that?

I think there are probably ways to still do it.

Is it still hard to get something cutting edge done here in New York?

It’s very difficult. I think there are a couple reasons. It’s the pressure of the precious commodity of Manhattan real estate. It’s the ever-tightening zoning envelopes since contextualism became a word that people knew, and the sort of tightening of the zoning envelope against the FAR [Floor area ratio—or density] that needs to be built in order to afford the land, leaves you very little room for creativity. It’s a thing I call ‘zoning spread,’ which is the spread between the full FAR and the zoning envelope, and the tighter it gets, which is what contextual zoning tries to do, the less ability you have to make interesting buildings. And that’s been a mistake.

You designed a new South Street Seaport for General Growth Properties. Not that that’s going anywhere fast right now, but what was your task going in there?

They were a terrific client to work with, because they really said, ‘Push it, let’s see what we can do.’ And there was a place where we broke down the superblock, because I thought that was the right thing to do at that location. And the notion of bringing the street grid under the FDR, and putting that plaza 300 to 400 feet out into the river facing the Brooklyn Bridge almost at mid-span, and then the view of Governors Island and the Statue of Liberty from the south, I really felt could make one of the most iconic places in the city. That would be photographed as much as the ice rink at Rockefeller Center. … I still have hope that that will go forward. I think that General Growth really wants to make that happen.

You think they still want it?

I think they definitely do. I think they’ve got to get through their other issues, but the company is viable, and when they get through their issues—we talk to them all the time, and I think they have a lot of faith that they’re going to do it some day.

You both develop and design some projects.

We have.

How’s that been going?

We’re facing the same difficulties that every other developer has, and we’re trying to work our way through it.

Why did you go down that road? It’s rare for architects to assume risk like that.

We felt that by taking responsibility and taking on risk gave us the opportunity to push design and try new things. … We felt that if we were willing to take on that risk ourselves, that our clients would have more faith in us, that that what we were doing was the right thing.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Boy, you hit the nail on the head....

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...n_meeting.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 9:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Boy, you hit the nail on the head....

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...n_meeting.html
LOL. You have to love that headline too. They go for the gut.

Quote:
Like the new Yards arena? That’s too bad, because it will change when the economy improves

By Gersh Kuntzman
The Brooklyn Paper

Enjoy the new renderings of the Barclays Center while you can — because if the economy gets back on track, the look of the rippling steel building will be altered radically to include new buildings, including one atop the arena’s signature entrance way...

The biggest bombshell of the night was the explanation that the freshly drafted design would be radically altered to make room for the so-called Miss Brooklyn tower, officially building B-1, that would stand at the actual intersection of the busy avenues.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 6:24 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.reuters.com/article/sport...58G48W20090917

Russia's richest man eyes Nets deal

Thu Sep 17, 2009
By Polina Devitt and Anastasia Onegina

Russia's richest man Mikhail Prokhorov is preparing an offer to help the New Jersey Nets build a new arena and sources close to him say he could own a large stake in the NBA club as part of the $700 million deal.

Russian billionaires, dubbed the oligarchs, have splashed out on yachts, mansions and sports clubs as commodity prices soared in recent years. In the highest-profile deal, Roman Abramovich bought London soccer club Chelsea in 2003.

A spokesman for Prokhorov's Onexim investment vehicle confirmed on Thursday it had been approached to participate in building the Nets' long-awaited arena in Brooklyn and was preparing an offer.

A spokesman for the Nets had no immediate comment, while officials with the National Basketball Association could not be reached. The Nets are owned by developer Bruce Ratner.

Prokhorov is considering issuing a bond worth $700 million through Onexim to help fund the project, one source close to the deal said.

The source said the bond must be issued before the end of 2009 so it is exempt from government taxes, adding: "This is a pure business story. The value potential of the club and arena are very high."

Another source familiar with Prokhorov's plans said the billionaire may end up owning a stake in the club as part of the deal.

Prokhorov, who towers over colleagues at 2.06 meters (6 foot 9 inches), has an estimated fortune of $9.5 billion according to the Russian edition of Forbes magazine.

A former chief executive of Norilsk Nickel, he came under the international media spotlight more than two years ago when he was briefly detained in a prostitution probe in a French ski resort. He was released without charge.

While many of his Russian peers sought state bailouts, the 44-year-old former banker and mining executive has become flush with money after cashing out of assets in 2008 before the global financial crisis caused commodity prices to crash.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 11:45 AM
New Yorker for life

It's catchy...

threecee

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 11:48 AM

Beautiful work !

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 9:05 PM

wow, first time i really looked into the atlantic yards story in a while... i'm impressed with the new design!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 10:45 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Those model figures look really large in ratio to the arena..LOL

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 12:48 AM

Love the replica, I wish they would have built one that would show what it will look like when all the towers are built around it as well.. I'd like to see if there's going to be any room left for a park and walkway like the original gehry design.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 3:33 AM

...just wish they would do something with that roof. i'll probably never see the top of that arena, but a lot of people living in the towers surrounding it will. make a park or something

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
...just wish they would do something with that roof. i'll probably never see the top of that arena, but a lot of people living in the towers surrounding it will. make a park or something
That was part of the original plan, but gradually scrapped. Anyway, I love the way this new arena will glow at night. I can see a way to keep the plaza open, and build "Miss Brooklyn" at the same time, with the tower cantilevering over the space. Just a thought. I would also like it if some of the surrounding towers had the same effect as the arena.

Quote:
threecee

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 10:34 PM

^^^ Yea that white light, light blue, and blue look is sharp. I too would like to see Miss Brooklyn leave a little room for the plaza and as I look at how it would hang over the original design I think they will do just that. I believe that if they build it far enough on top of the arena they will be able to create a park and walkway on top where the arena curves to make main part of the circle. I also liked the airplane hangar look of the second design. The only reason why I was against it was because it eliminated the park and it created a fieldhouse box look on the bottom. To me, this design leaves the airplane hangar look in while eliminating the rest of the junk that was in the 2nd design. I think look term this will look pretty good.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 11:47 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/sp...ll/18nets.html

Ratner Said to Be Closer to Selling Majority Stake in Nets

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
September 18, 2009

The developer Bruce C. Ratner, who received final state approval Thursday to build an $800 million arena in Brooklyn for the Nets, is inching closer to selling a majority stake in the team to a Russian billionaire, according to two executives briefed on the negotiations.

Ratner, who bought the team for $300 million in 2004 with plans to move it to a new home in Brooklyn, has acknowledged in recent weeks that he is talking to potential investors. The arena, which would be known as Barclays Center, is the centerpiece of a planned 22-acre residential and commercial development project.

The executives said that Mikhail Prokhorov, one of the richest men in Russia and an avid sports fan, is the leading contender to buy a majority stake in the team and in the planned arena at the intersection of Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues.

The Nets, who play at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J., declined to discuss potential investors.

“As we have said before, we have received interest from potential investors in the team,” Brett Yormark, chief executive of Nets Sports and Entertainment, said in a statement released Thursday. “That interest is growing as it is clear that we are moving to Brooklyn. Our ownership group is as committed as ever to the success of the Nets and to the Barclays Center.”

Ratner has been eager to bring in new blood. His company, Forest City Enterprises, owns 23 percent of the team, which has endured about $380 million in pretax net losses over the past five years.

Ratner and his company plan to sell $700 million in tax exempt bonds next month to finance the arena, which they say should take about 26 months to build. But Ratner must also contend with a legal challenge. Opponents of Ratner’s real estate project are asking the state’s highest court, the Court of Appeals, to block the state’s use of eminent domain on behalf of the developer.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 5:21 PM

What is that thing in the front plaza? I remember one report saying it was 30 ft but I can't remember what exactly it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction