HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:37 AM

So what are people asking for here?

3 lanes general purpose and a 4th HOV, or remain 2 general purpose and have the new lane as HOV.

This thread can be fun sometimes. People on here have been bitching about having the #1 six lanes wide out to Abbotsford / Chilliwack for years, now that a first major phase is actually happening, no one is happy, haha!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:04 AM

Great news about the 6 lanes to 264th Street. I don't think it will make any difference whether the new lane will be HOV or general purpose, as it will be filled with cars no matter what. I also hope they rebuild interchanges with future 8-laning in mind, although that won't be needed for quite some time out here. Just make it 6 lanes all the way to Chilliwack to begin with.

A more pressing issue is the 8-lane section through Burnaby. It is sad that they didn't build Granview to Brunette 10 lanes which it should have been. Now the highway is backed up Every. Single. Day.

But I also agree with Pinion that North Shore should see more love, as part of the jam on Highway 1 through Burnaby is also because of it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Railway legislation has provisions for cases where municipalities need to get changes made. I wouldn't expect any serious impediments to a bridge replacement.
Keep in mind that CP doesn't own the tracks and the land they sit on. They just lease them from BC Hydro. There shouldn't be any issues getting a new railway bridge built. Most railway bridges are pre-built and dropped into place on supports.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Great news about the 6 lanes to 264th Street. I don't think it will make any difference whether the new lane will be HOV or general purpose, as it will be filled with cars no matter what. I also hope they rebuild interchanges with future 8-laning in mind, although that won't be needed for quite some time out here. Just make it 6 lanes all the way to Chilliwack to begin with.

A more pressing issue is the 8-lane section through Burnaby. It is sad that they didn't build Granview to Brunette 10 lanes which it should have been. Now the highway is backed up Every. Single. Day.

But I also agree with Pinion that North Shore should see more love, as part of the jam on Highway 1 through Burnaby is also because of it.
The newer interchanges in Abbotsford (Mt. Lehman/Maclure, Clearbrook, McCallum) were all built with a 6-lane cross-section in mind. I don't think we'll be seeing more than three lanes each way out to Chilliwack for a very long time.

Even if the Burnaby section were built with 10 lanes, it would likely still be backed up. That's how freeway expansions work - people adjust their commutes and the extra capacity fills up. This is true everywhere, even in stagnant cities, growth-wise. I remember seeing a study showing on average in North America, it takes two years for each additional lane to fill up again. So if it were built to 10 lanes, it would've taken an extra two years to get to where it is now.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
The newer interchanges in Abbotsford (Mt. Lehman/Maclure, Clearbrook, McCallum) were all built with a 6-lane cross-section in mind. I don't think we'll be seeing more than three lanes each way out to Chilliwack for a very long time.

Even if the Burnaby section were built with 10 lanes, it would likely still be backed up. That's how freeway expansions work - people adjust their commutes and the extra capacity fills up. This is true everywhere, even in stagnant cities, growth-wise. I remember seeing a study showing on average in North America, it takes two years for each additional lane to fill up again. So if it were built to 10 lanes, it would've taken an extra two years to get to where it is now.
The Toll Bridge prevents those lanes from filling up completely. If there was no toll, guaranteed it would be backed up as well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
No different here, this would have presented a major opportunity to include HOV/Transit only lanes, however as usual...no. Maybe the MOT knows that HOV lanes do not work here unless there's enforcement to curb cheats.
HOV lanes do not work. In traveling #1 every day I see about 1 of 5 cars with only 1 passenger in them. In addition 1 of every 5 is a truck or bus that can't go with the flow of traffic because of the lack of ability to slow down or speed up.

Then add in the time outside of 1 to 2 hours a day when the lane is used and it now represents a low use piece of real estate that hinders the rest of the traffic flow.

The original purpose of this HOV concept was to encourage people to get together and commute together. I would guess 1 in 40 or 50 cars in HOV lanes is actually this.

Look at the HOV lane in south surrey on #99. Complete waste of pavement. Meanwhile the other two lanes are massive traffic jams. If you look around the city in many cases bus lanes/hov lanes become bottle necks because the rest of the other lanes are jammed with traffic, effectively blocking the bus/hov lanes.

Great idea but it doesn't work. Move on.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
HOV lanes do not work. In traveling #1 every day I see about 1 of 5 cars with only 1 passenger in them. In addition 1 of every 5 is a truck or bus that can't go with the flow of traffic because of the lack of ability to slow down or speed up.

Then add in the time outside of 1 to 2 hours a day when the lane is used and it now represents a low use piece of real estate that hinders the rest of the traffic flow.

The original purpose of this HOV concept was to encourage people to get together and commute together. I would guess 1 in 40 or 50 cars in HOV lanes is actually this.

Look at the HOV lane in south surrey on #99. Complete waste of pavement. Meanwhile the other two lanes are massive traffic jams. If you look around the city in many cases bus lanes/hov lanes become bottle necks because the rest of the other lanes are jammed with traffic, effectively blocking the bus/hov lanes.

South Surrey only has a bus lane, no HOV lane... at least until last month when I was there. Also as others have cited, adding regular lanes only leads to more congestion within ~2 years, while bus lanes incentivize people to change their behaviour. There's no Rapid Transit from South Surrey to Vancouver, so having that bus lane for the 351/2/4 is a great way to encourage usage, in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post

They should convert them to express toll lanes like on the I-405 between Bellevue and Lynnwood in Washington.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:45 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:13 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
They should convert them to express toll lanes like on the I-405 between Bellevue and Lynnwood in Washington.
Why on earth would you want to see two tier roads spread to BC? All it leads to is worse service for non-rich people.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:16 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
So what are people asking for here?

3 lanes general purpose and a 4th HOV, or remain 2 general purpose and have the new lane as HOV.

This thread can be fun sometimes. People on here have been bitching about having the #1 six lanes wide out to Abbotsford / Chilliwack for years, now that a first major phase is actually happening, no one is happy, haha!
Obviously, i'd be nice if it was 3 general plus 1 HOV to match the rest of the gateway project. But of course, that makes too much sense for BC.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:48 PM

I'm very disappointed, that Hwy 1 is only gonna be six lanes from 216st to 264st. It should have already been six lanes along that stretch 25 years ago. Make Hwy 1, 8 lanes minimum from 200 st all the way to Whatcom Rd, then six lanes to Vedder Rd in Chilliwack. This can be done in 2 to 3 years I don't understand what the big deal is of adding a couple of lanes on each side of the freeway. It shouldn't take 10 years to do it either! And can we stop using asphalt on our roads and use concrete like the interstates asphalt requires more maintenance and it's poorer quality

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatriot1776 View Post
I'm very disappointed, that Hwy 1 is only gonna be six lanes from 216st to 264st. It should have already been six lanes along that stretch 25 years ago. Make Hwy 1, 8 lanes minimum from 200 st all the way to Whatcom Rd, then six lanes to Vedder Rd in Chilliwack. This can be done in 2 to 3 years I don't understand what the big deal is of adding a couple of lanes on each side of the freeway. It shouldn't take 10 years to do it either! And can we stop using asphalt on our roads and use concrete like the interstates asphalt requires more maintenance and it's poorer quality
Welcome to BC haha.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 9:11 AM
perhaps . . .

don't you dare give me those noisy rough bumpy concrete Interstate pavements

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 9:39 AM

I am getting suspicious of some of these new accounts...

The tone / demands are far too similar to some existing members...

In fact today on the Canadian Highway thread Libtard posted a picture about using concrete on highways (one of his many obsessions)... and now this guy with two posts says the exact same thing..........

And yes, concrete is terrible for driving. I hated driving on the I-5 because of that. Incredibly irritating and loud ride. Most places I have been too in the world use asphalt, unless it is under exceptional conditions.

Also every time I drive the I-5 more and more of it has been replaced with asphalt.

And no, 6 lanes for that stretch is perfect IMO. It is adequate while not being an overkill encouraging sprawl. Not everywhere needs to be 8 and 10 lanes.

I do agree that the 6 lanes should be extended to Chilliwack though.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I am getting suspicious of some of these new accounts...

The tone / demands are far too similar to some existing members...

In fact today on the Canadian Highway thread Libtard posted a picture about using concrete on highways (one of his many obsessions)... and now this guy with two posts says the exact same thing..........

And yes, concrete is terrible for driving. I hated driving on the I-5 because of that. Incredibly irritating and loud ride. Most places I have been too in the world use asphalt, unless it is under exceptional conditions.

Also every time I drive the I-5 more and more of it has been replaced with asphalt.

And no, 6 lanes for that stretch is perfect IMO. It is adequate while not being an overkill encouraging sprawl. Not everywhere needs to be 8 and 10 lanes.

I do agree that the 6 lanes should be extended to Chilliwack though.
God forbid we had sprawl and adequate capacity for the suburbs. Maybe then we could get some supply to the housing market and million dollar plus prices wouldn't be the standard

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 10:31 AM
See ya down under, mates

Just be thankful you're getting six lanes. My area waited decades for more than four and it's still only really four in the new plan with two parallel local roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
don't you dare give me those noisy rough bumpy concrete Interstate pavements
Agreed, I hate driving on those.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 10:32 AM
See ya down under, mates

edit: double post

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:06 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure