HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:30 PM

Anyone with input into getting a master's of planning

Hey Guys

I moved to Calgary from BC/California a couple years back to finish off my undergrad in urban studies at the UofC. I have essentially completed it and am thinking about going to grad school. Having moved multiple times in the past 5 years(6x), I was thinking about taking the M.Planning at the UofC.

I was wondering how poorly is it viewed to have both a BA and a M.Planning from the same university? Would I be better served by sucking it up and moving to a different location?

Cheers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 5:22 PM

Hi LFRENCH,

I too am I recent graduate of the Urban Studies program at Ucalgary. I was also thinking about graduate studies come fall 2013 for the M.Planning stream at UofC.

Having done some research on other schools offering the same program, i'm not too sure whether or not having both a BA and MA from the same university accounts for anything. However, last time I checked, the M.Planning program at the UofC is going through an accreditation process by the Canadian Institute of Planners? (Not too sure on the status of this)

My best suggestion is to apply wherever you can and hope for the best!

Good luck to you!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:18 PM
Here and There

Hopefully someone can help you with this. I am not familiar enough with the planning side of things, but i know the Faculty of Environmental Design is gaining some good respect. Calgary is a great place to take University in the west side of Canada....it is very connected to everything via LRT.

How did you like the Campus? I did not attend U of C at all, but it looks like they are making some good changes. I like what O2 (landscape architecture) did with the landscape.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:40 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I did my undergrad (Poli Sci) and my Masters of Planning at UofC. I would recommend going somewhere else for planning though. Dalhousie is good, as is UBC. Dalhousie is much more policy focused, which is really necessary IMO. I think Toronto and Montreal (McGill) would be good as well. UofC isn't bad, but needs a more practical focus on economics (both macro and micro) and policy.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 9:33 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Trust me as somebody who's served on my department's grad studies (and thus grad admissions) many times: In Canada, it's absolutely not a liability to get a BA or BSc and Master's from the same school. It happens all the time.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 9:39 PM
Round Head

Pick the program that best suits the focus you want to have. Some schools are very geography focused, others urban design, others policy etc.

I did my Masters of Planning at Queen's - which was great for me because I wanted a policy focus, and this school is embedded in the Policy Studies faculty. Do your research on the strengths of each program and choose from there - pretty much all the programs in Canada are good - none are true standouts.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 11:05 PM

University of Manitoba has a good City Planning program. It has a good design and policy based program. The studio environments were great when I was there as there was a good mix between Planning, Landscape, Interiors and Architecture. Like Wooster said you've gotta find what is right for you.

Also U of M has Ditchball!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNXy36fTLYU

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:35 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
I was wondering how poorly is it viewed to have both a BA and a M.Planning from the same university?
That has absolutely never crossed my mind as a potential negative, but I wouldn't pick a masters program in anything based on convenience.

Every school and every program (in every department) has a prevailing ideology that is highly manifest at the post-graduate level. Finding one that reflects your interests is crucial.

The alternate course (provided sufficient statistics and economics undergrad coursework) that can also be rewarding is doing a masters in public administration which fills in a whole lot of blanks planners just aren't taught.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:56 AM

I want to echo the comments about researching the programs at the various schools. I would also strongly encourage you only to consider enrolling in a program that is accredited by the Canadian Institute of Planners.

Here is the list of accredited programs:
http://www.cip-icu.ca/web/la/en/pa/5...1/template.asp

When I was applying for my masters of planning I made a point of visiting the schools to which I applied that were located outside of my home province. I found that a valuable exercise but I would also not consider it mandatory by any means.

I chose Ryerson's programs for several reasons. It is located right downtown and I had previously attended a suburban campus for my undergrad. I was born in Toronto but my family moved away while I was still little more than a toddler and I have wanted the opportunity to experience living in Toronto and grad school was a perfect opportunity. I was offered a healthy financial award package and the opportunity to serve as a teaching assistant during my first year for a pair of interesting undergraduate planning courses; one in the planning school and the other in the architecture school. Finally, Ryerson has built a reputation of being a very practical, skills-based school that prepares planners to begin practising in either the public sector or a private firm.

I was also intrigued by the idea of a brand new masters-level curriculum that would focus on urban development and its environmental and multicultural dimensions in the country's big cities. To bridge some gaps on the economic side of things, which is a broad weak spot in planning schools, I am taking my elective courses through the Ted Rogers School of Management and its commercial real estate MBA program. So far I have found that Ryerson is an unapologetically urban program that looks at the regional scale through the lens of the central city. We also delve pretty deep into the legal aspect of planning and have studied the central city's relationship to region within the broader provincially-led planning regime that we have in Ontario.

Our program is studio-based, so we spend a large part of our second year of study working on real projects for local groups and organizations. I also knew that I wanted to practice planning after grad school, as opposed to going further in academia, so a more practical program that emphasized skills and theory and the acquisition of experience was attractive to me. I don't say that to denigrate other programs and in reality I suspect all of the schools' programs are closer to one another that many appreciate.

Good luck, and give yourself a LOT of time to prepare and iterate your written submission material.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jul 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 3:44 PM

I would like to thank you all for the input, I am still in the very early stages of considering where to go. I know in my undergrad, I was disappointed in the lack of discussing how some of the ideas we came up with could be implemented fiscally.

SFUVancouver- Not that it really matters much but UofC is going through certification right now. It should get its certification at the end of this up coming year. I would not consider it without its certification.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 3:55 PM
Here and There

Winnipeg may also be an option.......If you can handle the winter, the people are fun......not sure if accredited/certified.

Last edited by kw5150; Jul 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation