HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 8:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

[Moncton] Infinity | Harper & Main | 90m | 30 Storeys | Proposed

Locator map:

Site plan:

Renderings:

Details:

Proponent - ICON Developments
Cost - ~$70M
Number of floors - 30 storeys with a 2-5 storey podium
Height - 90M
Number of units - 288
Number of parking spaces (all interior) - 258

The development is mixed use with commercial space available within the podium facing Main Street. The back end of the podium is residential and varies between 2-5 storeys. The units facing Harper Street will be two storey townhomes with separate entrances (10 units total). The entrance to the interior and underground parking will be from in behind (off Harper Lane).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 10:24 PM

This is awesome, but if it goes ahead it's going to actually look weirdly out of place until things fill in around it with more height. Like a giant lighthouse surrounded by 1-story strip malls and big box stores (Chateau Moncton aside). If you search for the Moncton skyline it's actually hard to find a wide enough shot today that Infinity would fit into. That's how far east from the downtown core it is. Listen to me, sounding all NIMBY lol. Can't imagine this wouldn't kickstart other larger projects immediately though.

Also they’re gonna need to make a no left from Main onto Harper St. That would be a disaster. Similar setup to the CIBC entrance just up the street.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 10:55 PM

I can't wait for this project to become a reality! As I mentioned in the Downtown thread, it would be a crowning glory for the province's biggest (and currently fastest growing) city.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 12:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
Also they’re gonna need to make a no left from Main onto Harper St. That would be a disaster. Similar setup to the CIBC entrance just up the street.
Happily there are options available to get to the entrance to the underground parking. Harper Lane is accessible off of King Street. I imagine a lot of resident traffic into and out of the building will enter/leave via King Street.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 12:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
This is awesome, but if it goes ahead it's going to actually look weirdly out of place until things fill in around it with more height. Like a giant lighthouse surrounded by 1-story strip malls and big box stores (Chateau Moncton aside). If you search for the Moncton skyline it's actually hard to find a wide enough shot today that Infinity would fit into. That's how far east from the downtown core it is.
My hope is that the mere presence of Infinity will kickstart future development in the immediate neighbourhood. Irving owns the vacant block on the NE corner of Main & King. I know that Irving tends to just sit on property, but this lot would be crying out for a substantial development with Infinity right next door. A hotel on this corner, or another mixed use development would be ideal.

Then there is the vacant lot on the other side of Main Street between the Rodd Hotel and the Landing at the Bend. Nothing large can be built here, but a small retail/commercial plaza would fit in nicely.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 12:57 AM

The potential that the RCMP site now had just went through the roof too! I imagine a street front presence like the hotel across the street with some sort of tower on the corner of Main & Assumption would be a fitting project.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:09 AM

Great project, if goes through.
Awesome name, too

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:10 AM

Quote:
If you search for the Moncton skyline it's actually hard to find a wide enough shot today that Infinity would fit into. That's how far east from the downtown core it is.
Wikipedia has a shot of Main street from where Avenir would be now, and it would include Infinity in the background. Granted, it would not be seen in its majesty if it sits far in the back. Or how about a drone shot over the river?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityaerials View Post
Great project, if goes through.
Awesome name, too
Looking forward to some great drone shots during the construction process!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 3:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDowntown View Post
Goes to show how inexperienced Moncton is regarding a development like this. Height should only be one consideration before ‘supporting’ any project. What will the egress and ingress ramifications be, should there be setbacks to mitigate a wind tunnel, having entrances on Main Street to animate the space, what will the landscaping look like. And most importantly, what will be the quality of the cladding and glazing?

All that being said, excited we are getting density downtown.
This was posted in the Downtown thread. I thought I would give my response here:

I agree about height. Don't get me wrong - a 30 storey tower certainly makes a bold statement about the direction a city is heading in, but, which would add more to the overall feeling of density in a city, a single 30 storey tower or two to three 15-20 storey buildings?

(1) - As for ingress and egress, as I mentioned above, access to the parking garage will be able to happen off of King Street via Harper Lane, and this should mitigate left turning eastbound traffic on Main Street quite a lot.

(2) - As for any potential wind tunnel effect, there is no setback for Infinity, but, there is precious little pedestrian traffic on this portion of East Main Street. It shouldn't be much of a problem. Wind tunnels have never stopped high rise construction in downtown Halifax.

(3) - There are Main Street entrances in the complex for the commercial space(s). The front of this building will not be a blank wall.

(4) - Infinity essentially fills the entire block. There will be precious little landscaping necessary.

(5) - I like the overall look of the building. It appears they will be using some interesting light accents on the sides of the building to improve it's visual appeal. It looks like the same type of treatment that the Wingate Hotel in Dieppe got (but more sparely employed and in a different style).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

which would add more to the overall feeling of density in a city, a single 30 storey tower or two to three 15-20 storey buildings?
The latter, but to be fair we do have the Three sisters which already cover the bolded part. Serious answer, aren't there at least 2 other projects that are slated to be in the 15-20s part? In this case, Infinity can keep the height for the WOW! factor, and the other projects combined can bring in the density factor

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 5:19 PM

I really hope the Irving land next to this lot eventually gets developed. It's much larger and could easily support two buildings with a common podium. Being vacant, this lot would look terrible next to a major brand new development. Maybe there's a developer out there who could pry the land out of Irving's hands. They say everything has it's price!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 12:47 AM

Quote:
This was posted in the Downtown thread. I thought I would give my response here:

I agree about height. Don't get me wrong - a 30 storey tower certainly makes a bold statement about the direction a city is heading in, but, which would add more to the overall feeling of density in a city, a single 30 storey tower or two to three 15-20 storey buildings?

(1) - As for ingress and egress, as I mentioned above, access to the parking garage will be able to happen off of King Street via Harper Lane, and this should mitigate left turning eastbound traffic on Main Street quite a lot.

(2) - As for any potential wind tunnel effect, there is no setback for Infinity, but, there is precious little pedestrian traffic on this portion of East Main Street. It shouldn't be much of a problem. Wind tunnels have never stopped high rise construction in downtown Halifax.

(3) - There are Main Street entrances in the complex for the commercial space(s). The front of this building will not be a blank wall.

(4) - Infinity essentially fills the entire block. There will be precious little landscaping necessary.

(5) - I like the overall look of the building. It appears they will be using some interesting light accents on the sides of the building to improve it's visual appeal. It looks like the same type of treatment that the Wingate Hotel in Dieppe got (but more sparely employed and in a different style).
Thank you for your analysis MonctonRad. Much appreciated. Let’s hold our developers and the decision makers with the city of Moncton accountable to not only building structures but creating a dynamic and energetic downtown. Onwards and upwards.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:53 AM

Quote:
You can count on us!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Count me out. Last time I checked, anything east of Kings street is a restricted fly zone with a drone. Need to be 3 miles away from airport. I might need to recheck my drone GPS map, because this parcel of land is so close.

I have a basic drone pilot licensed therefore it's a no go. Advanced pilot licensed can go into restricted air space but must make arrangements with officials each time you fly into restricted area.

Unless, you have a micro drone (250grams or less). Then no licensed required and you can fly in restricted area.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 11:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A citizen's committee is being formed to oppose the rezoning request for Infinity. I have this on good authority. A friend of mine has been approached by this group for his thoughts.

They have several objections, most notably height, and, are going to lobby for a height restriction in the downtown portion of the city for no more than 15 storeys.

This group is not active on social media, and my friend thinks this might be because they have had legal advice not to do so. This makes them an unknown (and potentially dangerous) quantity. By avoiding social media, they are insulating themselves from thoughtful debate (and ridicule I suppose).

This cannot be allowed to stand. The construction of Infinity will be a seminal event for our city. It will truly show that we are a city on the move, and that we are a community with a strong visionary future.

This group will be present at the public hearings in July. Hopefully there will be other strong voices present which are capable of lobbying in favour of the future of the city of Moncton.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 23, 2023 at 1:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
A citizen's committee is being formed to oppose the rezoning request for Infinity. I have this on good authority. A friend of mine has been approached for his input on this.

They have several objections, most notably height, and, are going to lobby for a height restriction in the downtown portion of the city for no more than 15 storeys.

This group is not active on social media, and my friend thinks this might be because they have had legal advice not to do so. This makes them an unknown (and potentially dangerous) quantity. By avoiding social media, they are insulating themselves from thoughtful debate (and ridicule I suppose).

This cannot be allowed to stand. The construction of Infinity will be a seminal event for our city. It will truly show that we are a city on the move, and that we are a community with a strong visionary future.

This group will be present at the public hearings in July. Hopefully there will be other strong voices present which are capable of lobbying in favour of the future of the city of Moncton.
Given this area is so commercial already, I don't see how they could have any leg to stand on about height being an issue. This reminds me of when the large contingent of NIMBYS in Riverview opposed the chocolate river station development, claiming the "view of the river would be blocked". I never could get confirmation from a single one of them which viewpoint they even meant.

I would love to genuinely ask them what the difference to them of a 15 story building to a 30 storey building, its not like there is any elevation would we give you a vantage point to see over a 15 story building. At this point I think the desperate need for housing supply needs to be using to counter and squash these groups. The same logic was used when the mayor broke the tie in Riverview to authorize the development by RHS.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 12:15 PM

If that property location becomes an issue with nimby's then St Bernard will be even worse!

These indivuals make absolutely zero sense for opposing progress, growth and a housing solution the city desperately needs.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
If that property location becomes an issue with nimby's then St Bernard will be even worse!

These indivuals make absolutely zero sense for opposing progress, growth and a housing solution the city desperately needs.
Got to love the "Deal with HOMELESSNESS before you build more HOUSING!" people.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Got to love the "Deal with HOMELESSNESS before you build more HOUSING!" people.
A lot of trolls don't quite grasp supply vs. demand. Affordability has nothing to do with what is being built, but how many are built. If supply outpaces demand, prices inevitably decrease (even in the priciest locations).

But here we are, in an age where logic based on fact carries no weight next to opinion based on feeling. I really hope that this development doesn't get blocked by a "tomato plant." Hindrances like that will only exacerbate the housing crunch, and thus, affordability.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces