HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 11:46 PM

Deer Valley, Utah - The other Aspen

Deer Valley is constantly being rated the #1 resort in North America by SKI Magazine, and once you're there yourself, it's easy to see why. They have awesome food, nice lodges, friendly staff (who all get to wear cool jackets), as well as, of course, the kleenex boxes at every lift. Plus, the huge homes alongside the runs really give you something to gawk at, if you're not already admiring the beautiful snowy white mountains all around you. And the best thing about it? NO SNOWBOARDERS ALLOWED! It really was a great place, someplace I'm sure to return to. (despite the prices. It was worth it)

So here are my pictures.

We begin with the view coming down Homeward Bound, looking east towards Colorado. No picture does this justice, but it gives you an idea.

Now for some shots of one of DV's three "villages." This is the mid-mountain one.

One of their massive lodges.

ALthough it dosn't look like much from the outside, this is Utah's highest rated hotel...

...but not for long. THIS one is of the St Regis, which as you can see, is still being constructed.

Gotta love those mountains.

Now, yet another super fancy resort going up at DV's third, mountain top, village. The Montage.

The Empire Lodge

And now for some trailside homes.....

Now over to Deer Crest, on the far north part of the resort, where we take the gondola down. Just for the heck of it.

Deer Crest is DV's most exclusive community... so far.

The SKI Dream Home

On the way back down to the main lodge, there was this sign:

Thanks guys. This was my first photo thread. I hope you enjoyed it!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:39 AM

Looks like a great place to go skiing. I haven't been skiing in over a decade. I hope to do some skiing next winter. Who knows, maybe it will be Deer Valley.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:45 AM

Nice shots of a beautiful place.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 1:30 AM

Nice pictures. It's nice to see some of these ski resort towns. I have seen a couple here in the East in person, and have seen one or two of the Colorado resorts, so seeing a Utah resort is nice.

Obviously you were there to ski, not take pictures, but did go see or go to any business district?

The architecture seems kind of strange. Individually, the houses seem pretty nice, at least in my opinion: big windows to enjoy the great views, and nice use of stone and wood for the facades. But collectively, the little villages look pretty bland. It's like they blend into the mountain too much, and they look too much like the others.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 2:12 AM

Yeah, I did go to Main Street Park City. That's where all the action is after the skiing. Tons of restaurants, bars, stores, and art galleries to visit. There really was alot to do in that town. I didn't take many pictures of it though, unfortunatly. Only a few not really worth putting on here. I only went to skiing at one place while I was there, too. In Park City alone, there are three major resorts. (Deer Valley, Park City, and The Canyons) As for the architecture of the buildings, I like it. They do seem to all have a similar look to them, with the wood and stones, but that seems to be the architectural style in the Rockies. Down in the historical district of Park City, however, the buildings look entirely different because it was once a mining town. So the city has tried to maintain that feeling throughout, even with new construction.

Here is a pic of main street i found on flickr

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 3:35 AM
Environmental Sabotage

I Prefer The Aspen over The Other Aspen but Deer Valley still looks quite beautiful and your pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 6:21 AM

neat

are those tunnels for people to ski through?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 9:36 PM

Yup. There were some areas where you'd have to ski over a bridge with the road below you, too.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 10:01 PM
Squint Like Clint

Stunning pics! Wow, what a beautiful place. I of course am aware of Aspen, and Telluride Colorado (another Aspen-like resort town), but I've never heard of Deer Valley. It definitely looks like another playground for the wealthy. Those views are awesome and most of those homes above are obviously huge. Anyway, I'll have to check this place out online and learn more about it. Thanks for sharing the pics, I really enjoyed them.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 6:07 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Great pics - I love those houses!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 11:20 PM

Thanks aspiringArchitect for the great thread of one of my favorite resorts. It doesn't get any better, with more to do than the Park City/Deer Valley/Canyons ski area. Some day I hope to have a home up in that incredible area. I'm glad for now that it's so close and part of the SLC metro.

Looks like Deer Valley was ranked #1 again this season by SKI Magazine.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a house up there either, delts.

You guys are very lucky to have Deer Valley, as well as so many other great resorts near by. Deer Valley is great, but it is a tad bit expensive.
Millwaukee | Madison | Deer Valley, Utah | Grand Rapids | Chicagoland: Roselle, St. Charles, Wheaton, Woodstock

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Deer Valley does look pretty dang sweet.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringArchitect View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a house up there either, delts.

You guys are very lucky to have Deer Valley, as well as so many other great resorts near by. Deer Valley is great, but it is a tad bit expensive.
Yeah, that's true. Ski resorts in general are a bit too expensive in my opinion. Though, there are allot of good deals and specials for locals to take advantage of. When your only minutes from a good number of different resorts, it can be reasonable. Deer Valley tends to be on the expensive end, but they do a great job of keeping the crowds to a minimum and I've never had to wait in a lift line, which is pretty cool in my book. You can get allot of extra runs in at Deer Valley, because of not having to wait in lines. Also the food, even right on the slopes, is like a five star restaurant.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 9:10 PM

Deer Valley is real estate skiing at its finest. In terms of real skiing, nothing touches Little Cottonwood.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 11:45 AM

hmm...i kinda agree the village looks bland. But they do say utah has the best skiing. My father and i are planning to go there sometime. the only big resorts weve been to are vail (which we loved but were unlucky with the conditions) and fernie (again not great with the conditions, but thats what happens with march skiing i guess).

I think utah might be the most naturally beautiful state. With the mountains, great salt lake, and zion/arches/bryce and the salt flats...i really want to go!

I heard alta had the best skiing but like no village whatsoever

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new.slang View Post

I heard alta had the best skiing but like no village whatsoever
It doesn't get any better than Alta. It delivers on steep, deep and cheap, so no village required.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos