HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 9:22 PM

Downtown SRC Project to be delayed.

While the post office renovations’ plans passed unanimously at the Joint Committee on Capital Review meeting, the Downtown SRC project was kept off of the JCCR’s agenda for the last meeting.

This setback will almost certainly delay starting construction of the Downtown SRC project.

Architects originally hoped to begin construction early next semester and finish no later than May 2013.

Co-chair of the JCCR Rep. John Kavanagh had an issue with the use of student fee money in the construction of the complex.

He said it isn’t fair to ask all students to pay a fee for a facility most students at ASU will never use.

“Times are tough. Students are having trouble paying for school, so why should we make all students pay for something only a few students will use?” Kavanagh said.

Kavanagh suggested only students who use the facility pay for the facility, similar to membership fees at the YMCA or Gold’s Gym.

But, President of the Downtown campus Joseph Grossman said this idea is flawed because the Downtown campus hasn’t built the complex yet.

There is no other way to get enough money to build the recreation facility without using student fee money, Grossman said, as there is no reason for private investors to pay for the building and the city doesn’t have the funds to give ASU enough money for the project.

“How do you expect then to get enough financing?” Grossman said. In “theory it sounds great, but realistically it’s not.”

The SRC plan will likely go before the JCCR after the new year, possibly with a new payment plan that will combine the student fee money with a membership fee.

The post office will also use student fee money for its construction, but Kavanagh said the difference between the two funding-wise is the number of students who will use the student engagement area in the post office and what a university really needs in tough economic times.

A community center “is a legitimate part of the university experience. A fitness center is not,” Kavanagh said.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Downtown SRC Project to be delayed.
“Times are tough. Students are having trouble paying for school, so why should we make all students pay for something only a few students will use?” Kavanagh said.

Kavanagh suggested only students who use the facility pay for the facility, similar to membership fees at the YMCA or Gold’s Gym.
That is total BS, that's how projects are paid for. When I was in college I'm sure my fees went to plenty of things that I never got to use, just like I got to use infrastructure that previous students paid for. Typical suburban Arizona Republican. Get him off the Joint Committee on Capital Review.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 11:11 PM

Is this Kavanagh dude some major fatass idiot? A fitness center is a community center, and is a major part of a university experience for college kids, especially considering they were going to have a pool/lounge area.

I've heard a lot of stupid things quoted on this site, but this is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Is this Kavanagh dude some major fatass idiot?

Doesn't appear to be a fatass, just an idiot.

http://www.azleg.gov/MembersPage.asp...&Session_ID=85

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 11:42 PM
BANNED

looks like a fat fuck to me

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 9:51 PM

To be fair, ASU tuition/cost of attendance has increased so rapidly in large part because of the plethora of buildings that the university has put up over the past several years that, though very pretty, have done nothing to increase educational quality or job prospects. I'm actually glad that someone has finally noticed this.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 9:56 PM

They haven't increased educational quality? There were/ are some really shitty buildings on campus, mostly the garbage they threw up in the 60s / 70s that were terrible to try to learn in. I remember one of them was structurally unsound and uninhabitable. I'm sure the new buildings are a major help to a kid's education and they're so much more "wired" now too.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
They haven't increased educational quality? There were/ are some really shitty buildings on campus, mostly the garbage they threw up in the 60s / 70s that were terrible to try to learn in. I remember one of them was structurally unsound and uninhabitable. I'm sure the new buildings are a major help to a kid's education and they're so much more "wired" now too.
Perhaps I should have said that the impact of all these new structures on the quality of the education has been vastly disproportionate to their cost. There are many current ASU students that echo this guy's complaints about being forced to pay so much for all this construction.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I should have said that the impact of all these new structures on the quality of the education has been vastly disproportional to their cost. There are many current ASU students that echo this guy's complaints about being forced to subsidize all this construction.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 12:40 AM
METRO: Encanto

Kavanagh's major contribution to the legislative agenda has been his attempts to allow guns on campus. His last such bill was vetoed by Brewer but he intends to try again this session.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Kavanagh's major contribution to the legislative agenda has been his attempts to allow guns on campus. His last such bill was vetoed by Brewer but he intends to try again this session.
A true Arizona politician.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Northern Arizona University is coming to the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

By summer, NAU will move a few staff members into the Health Sciences Education Building now under construction near Seventh and Van Buren streets. NAU will open two programs in high demand in the health-care industry: a physician-assistant program and a physical-therapy program.

The first class of students enrolled in each program will start their course work and training in the fall.

NAU's debut on the Phoenix campus has been in the works for nearly eight years. The Flagstaff university, known for operating several satellite education centers around the state, had signed an agreement in 2004 with University of Arizona and Arizona State University to create the Phoenix campus.
AZC

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:17 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigirdbers View Post
To be fair, ASU tuition/cost of attendance has increased so rapidly in large part because of the plethora of buildings that the university has put up over the past several years that, though very pretty, have done nothing to increase educational quality or job prospects. I'm actually glad that someone has finally noticed this.
Not quite. Over $400 million in state legislature budget cuts to the university in the last 2 years are a primary reason for the current tuition hikes.

Most of the DT campus (the SRC excluded) were built with bonds passed by the voters back in '06.

But even with three satellite campuses, ASU's physical environment is still quite undersized given its' enrollment. Ohio State, U. of Texas come to mind.

Last edited by vertex; Jan 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 9:53 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
NAU joins downtown Phoenix

3 comments by Emily Gersema - Jan. 8, 2012 09:33 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Northern Arizona University is coming to the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

By summer, NAU will move a few staff members into the Health Sciences Education Building now under construction near Seventh and Van Buren streets. NAU will open two programs in high demand in the health-care industry: a physician-assistant program and a physical-therapy program.

The first class of students enrolled in each program will start their course work and training in the fall.

NAU's debut on the Phoenix campus has been in the works for nearly eight years. The Flagstaff university, known for operating several satellite education centers around the state, had signed an agreement in 2004 with University of Arizona and Arizona State University to create the Phoenix campus.

The three had planned to share the campus so they could develop collaborative health-care and science programs that would, just like in a hospital, clinic or lab, complement each other and possibly lead to the launch of new areas of study.

Citing tight finances, ASU formally backed away from the agreement last spring, but NAU has stuck to it.

The first crop of students in the NAU programs will be limited.

"What we've got slated in fall of 2012 is that NAU is going to have 25 students in what will be their inaugural class of the PA (physician assistant) program," said Richard Dehn, the founding chairman of the physician-assistant department.

The physical-therapy program is accepting 24 students.

At times, the NAU students in the two programs may be in the same training sessions or seminars as the beginning medical students enrolled at the UA College of Medicine-Phoenix, said Dr. Jacqueline Chadwick, vice dean of academic affairs at UA in Phoenix.

"The building will create an environment in which the students can be mingled," Chadwick said.

Chadwick said some of the training for students in their initial years in medical, physical-therapy or physician-assistant programs is very similar. For example, students in all of those areas must learn anatomy in the first years.

Chadwick said some shared training could promote teamwork. She said this is a critical lesson for them, because at hospitals and clinics teams of professionals collaborate on diagnosis and treatment.

Physical therapists help patients of all ages restore their ability to move as painlessly as possible and prevent their conditions from worsening.

Full-time physical-therapy students at NAU complete 33 months -- less than three years -- of courses and training to graduate.

Federal statistics project that demand for physical therapists will surge within the next five years by about 30percent.

At last count, an estimated 185,500 physical-therapy jobs existed nationwide. By 2018, more than 241,700 physical-therapy jobs will open, an increase of 56,200 jobs, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.

On average, a physical therapist earns $60,300 to $85,540 a year.

Students enrolled in NAU's physician-assistant program are working toward a master's-level degree, which, after they're licensed, enables them to practice medicine under the supervision of physicians and surgeons.

Dehn, the department chairman, said most patients see no obvious differences between a physician assistant and a physician. The assistant can order tests, diagnose illnesses and write prescriptions.

"Say you went into ambulatory care for a general issue and you saw a PA," Dehn said. "If they (that person) saw anything that was out of the ordinary, they would stop and run it by the physician."

Michelle DiBaise, an associate professor at NAU, said the nation is faced with a shortage of physician assistants.

Federal statistics show that an estimated 74,800 jobs for physician assistants existed nationwide in 2008, but the need will surge 39percent to 103,900 PA jobs by 2018. The average annual salary is $68,210 to $97,070.

Demand for physician assistants will be highest in rural areas, said DiBaise, who also is public-relations chairwoman for the Arizona State Association of Physician Assistants.

The NAU program at Phoenix will have a special emphasis on accepting qualified applicants who are from smaller cities in Arizona.

"Our goal also is to attract people in these small communities to come to school for a year in Phoenix and then work to get them back in their small communities," DiBaise said. "That way we can attract our Arizona residents and then get them back to serve our Arizona communities."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1j05i2N1w
I think we already knew this, but this is just all the details...right?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
They're at least addressing renovating some of those buildings now. Noticed a lot of work being done on Social Sciences and Life Sciences A-D Wings. Payne Hall has changed a lot. Engineering Center G has a new lab studio. Hayden Library just added two or three new classrooms and new amenities.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Not quite. Over $400 million in state legislature budget cuts to the university in the last 2 years are a primary reason for the current tuition hikes.

Most of the DT campus (the SRC excluded) were built with bonds passed by the voters back in '06.

But even with three satellite campuses, ASU's physical environment is still quite undersized given its' enrollment. Ohio State, U. of Texas come to mind.
Exactly the additional SRC fee hasn't kicked in yet. Surprised to hear the backlash on Health Services expansion/ addition Women's Health since prior to that they lack adequate care for such a large student population on the Tempe.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 9:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zu6pwyudcw
Skip to 12:00 for the updates for a few projects and the rendering of the law School.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 10:13 PM

/\ Good find. I like seeing the future law school plans. I also really like that he mentioned they are reaching out to developers to build more apartments/commercial/retail around ASU downtown.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zu6pwyudcw
Skip to 12:00 for the updates for a few projects and the rendering of the law School.
Thanks for the heads up on this.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
BANNED

meanwhile the south face of the one building by the one place on 7th street is looking near completion. Lots of copper and even the awnings are copper. very shiny and cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest