HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Stack in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:21 PM

I'll be there today, charcoal suit purple tie. Squak at me if ya see me.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'll be there today, charcoal suit purple tie. Squak at me if ya see me.
Ah darn, I didn't see this until late tonight. I didn't get there till a bit after 5pm. I'll save us the trouble of the guessing game next time, and will shoot you a pm on what type of birds to look out for.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:33 AM

Open House Model + Info

By the time I got here, all of the really tasty treats were gone, but there was still a variety of cheeses and nuts on hand. The conference across the hall did have Thai-chicken skewers, but I didn't feel tempted enough to sneak any over.

As mentioned, I got there shortly after 5 pm and missed the crowd. A total of about 50, so not bad for an office project. There were some nearby residents complaining about the loss of views, and how the light features/light from the offices would keep them up all night.

Speaking with a senior city staffer, I expressed how troubled I was that one of the few sites not affected by height restrictions (other than the QEP cone) was being so limited in height. Their response was that the project is currently bringing a lot of office space online, and more might saturate the market. They sort of shrugged when I commented how low the office space vacancy rate is. Maybe I'm missing something, but given market conditions, that line of logic didn't really make sense to me.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:38 AM

Once again thanks for your great pics!

Isn’t 167.6 meters already the max height allowed for this lot?

Also what is that other tower to the east that appears even taller than this proposal? Or is that just one of the Bental Towers being over represented?

Orrrrr, has this project been shortened to a height under that of the tallest Bental Tower?

The detailed model looks the same as what we have seen before but the proportions of the wooden model look distorted.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 10:14 AM

The black model looks great!
Somewhat Miesian.

The wooden model does either under represent this tower (shorter than Bentall IV) or over represent Bentall IV, which is about 450 ft tall.
There is a slight downward slope to Melville St., but not 100 ft.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:14 PM
Reason and Freedom

Yeah, barring some optical illusion in Feathered Friend's photographs, either the wooden model is extremely innacurate or 1133 Melville has been substantially reduced in height. Even with the site's slightly lower elevation, 1133 Melville at 168 metres should dominate Bentall IV (138 metres), as depicted in the project application's skyline renderings:

Last edited by Prometheus; Nov 22, 2017 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:01 PM

When further looking at the images and comparing Bental 4 and this tower to Trump and Shangri-La, it almost seems as if they mixed up the scales (heights) of Bental 4 and this tower...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Speaking with a senior city staffer, I expressed how troubled I was that one of the few sites not affected by height restrictions (other than the QEP cone) was being so limited in height. Their response was that the project is currently bringing a lot of office space online, and more might saturate the market. They sort of shrugged when I commented how low the office space vacancy rate is. Maybe I'm missing something, but given market conditions, that line of logic didn't really make sense to me.
From my direct experience, city planners are amongst the least qualified to speak with any authority about market conditions. They are far too detached from the market.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:57 AM

The wooden model looks great. If only the actual tower had wood/terracotta fins that colour. Actual tower... blahh

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:00 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The black model looks great!
Somewhat Miesian.
Mies would turn in his grave if he heard that.

The models may be black, but the finished productive will be anything but. It'll be more drab, transparent glass. Thrilling.

And let's not even start with the lame attempt to make this thing look "unique" simply by turning some sections on an angle. Looks like something a 5-year-old would make out of blocks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
The wooden model looks great. If only the actual tower had wood/terracotta fins that colour. Actual tower... blahh
Agreed the wooden model looks great. I think corten steel fins would achieve the look nicely.

https://inhabitat.com/rusted-corten-...se-in-belgium/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 11:59 AM
Website Manager

Yeah I'd say the Bentall tower is too tall here

Quote:
Quote:
By the time I got here, all of the really tasty treats were gone, but there was still a variety of cheeses and nuts on hand. The conference across the hall did have Thai-chicken skewers, but I didn't feel tempted enough to sneak any over.
OK Good to know

great post btw

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
From my direct experience, city planners are amongst the least qualified to speak with any authority about market conditions. They are far too detached from the market.
Nor should that be part of their pervue. Their job is to work with developers and council to build the most functional livable city, not play economic guessing games on market conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Yeah I'd say the Bentall tower is too tall here
I can confirm there was an error with Bentall IV in the model, about 1.5x too large both in height and girth. Not sure whether it was intentional or not to make 1133 not look like an outlier though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 11:54 PM

It was the first thing that caught my eye (although it would be wonderful if Bental 4 really was that height. Love Bental 4 and 3.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 12:08 AM

Not that it really matters, but a building ike 1133 Melville, if in another city, would probably go on a wider, more high-profile street. I just hope they spiff up Melville for its coming presence.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:41 AM

On the "March" to a public hearing

This tall (for Vancouver) beauty will be going to a public hearing sometime in March. Based on some of the comments I overheard at the open house, there will be opposition from those concerned about heights, light features, and views. Aside from that, this would be another good opportunity to express support, if you feel tall buildings are good thing.

You know, in case anyone here is in to that.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:30 AM

Quote:
This tall (for Vancouver) beauty will be going to a public hearing sometime in March. Based on some of the comments I overheard at the open house, there will be opposition from those concerned about heights, light features, and views. Aside from that, this would be another good opportunity to express support, if you feel tall buildings are good thing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Does every city have this much of a resistance against any taller proposal / lighting feature?

Seriously, have these people ever left Vancouver? Do they know how tall most cities are building these days?

Also resistance against this tower in particular makes very little sense given that it will be in the central business district, and not a residential neighbourhood such as the West End...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:

Noted.

Definitely writing in in favor of this one.

Love this proposal.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:20 PM

I don't like this building at all: height is ok, but the design is just bad IMO.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:44 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver