HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Platform doors will not stop a suicide. Broadway's platform was the only one that was actually becoming a problem.
I agree a lot with what you said but I disagree with this. Sure they won't prevent suicides outside the station, but I see no reason why they wouldn't prevent them inside the station once they are installed. Most installations are floor to ceiling making it impossible for anyone to climb past the barriers. Even if they aren't floor to ceiling, having a barrier may dissuade someone suicidal from attempting it there. Also, if they try climbing the barrier, it will give onlookers time to react and stop them.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 10:30 AM

If it is not jersey barriers on the highway thread it is platform doors on the transit thread.

Seriously, I don't know why some of you on here are obsessed with them.

I actually hate them myself.

I think that they make stations feel very claustrophobic (even on large platforms) and will essentially make transit a less pleasant experiences.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:38 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Better yet all the great systems like Seoul, Tokyo, London are getting them so that means we should have them of course.
They also have 10+ million people and 10+ transit lines each.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:33 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Idk, they improve safety of course there's something to be said for being able to see the train and rails, but I think that's more of a transit fan complaint

Better yet all the great systems like Seoul, Tokyo, London are getting them so that means we should have them of course.
This is the "SkyTrain Station Renovations | u/c" thread, u/c denotes under-construction, and what you are discussing, rather incessantly—is not under-construction—it is fantasy.

Please use the transit, or transit fantasy, thread.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
But honestly they are a good system, there is no reason that we shouldnt have them in the future once rolling stock is more unified...
Easier said than done in a chronically underfunded system where the money could always be put to better use elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
I'm sure on other transit systems they replace their rolling stock with new ones that match the previous door positions.

The reason we don't have it here is that it's largely not justified because the platforms aren't crowded enough for accidents to happen frequently. Platform doors will not stop a suicide. Broadway's platform was the only one that was actually becoming a problem.

If someone wants to die so bad by transit they will jump out in front of a bus on a red light. The Surrey LRT might attract suicides, but of the accidents I've been tracking over the last two years, most reported LRT accidents are with vehicles making left turns, wrong turns, and vehicles trying to beat the train. Pedestrian accidents are not well reported and only when they involve bikes or wheelchairs. That "down the center of the boulevard" means no platform edge doors either.
The real problem is not suicides. You are thinking with emotions, this is not about emotions. The real problem is the fact the station gets shut down when someone jumps under a train and it takes hours to get them out and clean the mess up. A mess other people witness as well and employees have to deal with. But the big problem is the fact the station gets shut down for significant periods of time and the entire system gets impacted. Its a operational problem.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:14 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:42 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Not the thread for this topic

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
An operational problem that you cannot afford when you are pushing your system for maximum throughput.
PED gets mentioned frequently enough around here that the standard answer "the trains aren't all the same size", yeah and they never will be, so give up.

My answer has more to do with "I'm sure there is a technical solution that would work regardless of the train length and door positions, but I doubt it's justified." It's like the reverse of the LRT argument. Grade separated guideways prevent accidents, but it's not justified in every case, but the reason you have the grade separation is about operational efficiency for both the train and the roads they cross. If there's no roads, to cross, then of course you can run it at grade and just elevate the pedestrian crossing like you would to cross a highway. PED basically moves the argument from grade crossings to the stations. Yes all rail stations should have them for safety reasons, but for technical/cost reasons we've opted not to.

And just like Jersey barriers on highways, it doesn't increase safety alone, it just makes the potential for accidents to have less collateral damage. If every possible thing was done to make the deadly Malahat safe on Vancouver Island, they'd just blow the damn thing up and bore a tunnel past the dangerous section.

Anyone hellbent on killing themselves will do so, regardless of safety features, they just migrate to easier places. Potential suicides and idiocy is why you can't look over any bridge any more (see the Burrard Bridge.) I forget what study it was I was reading about accidents, suicides and dangerous conditions found on transit, but at one point it was stated that the safety features are often thought as a cost-benefit system, not as an ethical thing, thus many features of transportation are built without adequate safety features because they feel that it's cheaper to payout an accident than install the safety features... or just use better technology in the first place.

It's on-topic since we're talking about station renovations and why we never see these things added, particularly Broadway.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:25 AM

Metrotown Station by City of Rain @ SkyRise Cities taken April 19th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1215145, member: 70034
20170419_170846 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170707 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170703 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1215147, member: 70034
20170419_170611 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170447 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170350 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170314 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:09 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Still not liking all that white.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Racist.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Don't worry. It will be grey in no time.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:57 PM

Roof trusses for Metrotown east stationhouse delivered to site, steel structure for escalators installed. Progress seems to ge going well on that side. Couldn't take pics in time while on the train...

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:16 AM

I was exiting Commercial - Broadway Station and noticed this rendering.

"Outside view of north pedestrian walkway after upgrades"

May 3 '17, my pics

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:38 PM

I really wish something could be done with the landscaping of the south face of the cut.

It doesn't have to be quite as engineered like the north face, but it could definitely use some landscaping, or at-least a good cleaning. Really takes away from the station design which otherwise I really enjoy. I imagine there is some conflict with the rail right of way, but I suppose for the city, out of sight out of mind is the motto for the cut.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:35 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I just wish the city would make an effort to clean up some of the garbage in the cut.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 8:59 PM

Is that city property?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure