HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktown718 View Post
Hey Guy's we need to form a team to sneak into the office of French starchitect Christian de Portzamparc for the renderings. Lol j/p
but seriously why is it such a big secret to show how the tower will actually look.
Most implausible reason: The tower has a 1600' spire and will be the next WTB.
Plausible reason: Keeping it under wraps to avoid NIMBY ire.
Possible reason: Because they can.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 11:05 PM
JoeCooper

When you see a really deep hole and a concrete pump, you know things are serious! This is getting really exciting!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

The thing is, the NIMBYs can't do anything to touch this project.

Quote:
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....711179852/1005

Aabar shifts to New York for its latest acquisition

Bradley Hope
November 17. 2009

Mr Barnett said the 57th Street development would be “one of the greatest buildings in the last 50 years” because of its prime location and ambitious design.

Mr Barnett said the design by the French architect Christian de Portzamparc had recently been finalised. “It will be a very unusual building,” he said.
I feel as though we have been cheated out of our usual process of salivating over renderings and counting down the clock to construction. Even with the Beekman tower we had an idea of what the tower looked like. We know that this one is tall, and possibly supertall (rumored to be around 1,083 ft). But that's it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 3:19 AM

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

I don't know. It's filed as 953 ft., has no listed mechanical floors on the roof (Unlike Beekman), and it's pretty clearly listed as 73 stories. I guess it could have a spire that would put it over, but the roof height certainly will not. None of this dampens my excitement for the building, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 3:54 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Jeez. According to the permit, Extell is using just over half of the available air rights(800ksf out of 1.4msf). Is he still planning on building a second tower later on?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 12:18 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
We know that this one is tall, and possibly supertall (rumored to be around 1,083 ft). But that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

I don't know. It's filed as 953 ft., has no listed mechanical floors on the roof (Unlike Beekman), and it's pretty clearly listed as 73 stories. I guess it could have a spire that would put it over, but the roof height certainly will not. None of this dampens my excitement for the building, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
acoording to this article, it will be well over 1000ft, possibly we can expect a kind of crown.

Quote:
From Le Figaro 24 Sept. 2009.

The UFO glass Portzamparc Beatrice Rochebouet 24/09/2009 The planner many projects, from Casablanca to New York. He has just inaugurated the headquarters of Bouygues Immobilier, in Issy-les-Moulineaux. Tomorrow, he flew to Casablanca, her hometown, where he won in late June, the competition for the new theater, CasArt, a nesting of buildings of different heights on an austere land of 24 000 m2 surrounded by institutions Place Mohammed-V. Yesterday, it was inaugurated in Issy-les-Moulineaux, the new headquarters Bouy * gues Estate, Galeo a building HQE (High Environmental Quality) covered with a second skin made of 700 tortoiseshell veneers that create silkscreen glass a particular luminosity. And in a few days it will unveil its new tower of 330 meters in Manhattan across from Carnegie Hall on 57th Avenue. A record high for a tower housing a form as incredible as that built for LVMH in 1995 ........\\

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 12:42 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, that's the same article that's been repeated here since it first came out. We've heard nothing
on the height since then to confirm it, which is why it's still listed here at 953 ft.

But in this time when a lot of projects aren't starting, and some that have started are on hold,
it's nice to see work starting here, whatever ultimately rises.

Quote:
curbed.com

jeffreykreger

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 12:46 PM
New Yorker for life

It will be a somewhat tapered tower...

Quote:

There are about 4 lower levels (including parking)
Floor 1 .................hotel lobby, residential lobby
Floor 2 .................hotel ballroom, meeting rooms, lounge
Floor 3 .................restaurant, lounge
Floor 4 .................mechanical, (hotel space to floor 20)
Floor 20 ...............hotel spa, health club
Floor 21 ...............residential lounge, dining room, library
Floors 22-30 .......6 apts per floor
Floors 31-45 .......4 apts per floor

Floor 46 ...............mechanical
Floors 47-58 .......2 apts per floor
Floors 59-60 .........duplex
Floors 61-70 .........each floor single unit (apt)
Floors 71-72 .........duplex
Floor 73 ...............mechanical
Roof ....................elevator machine

But judging from some of Portzamparc's work, it's not much of a stretch to envision the tower extending beyond the occupied height. As it is now, it's only 31 ft to supertall status.

Quote:
__

__

Some of his New York work...

__

__

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 1:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
^ Yeah, that's the same article that's been repeated here since it first came out. We've heard nothing
on the height since then to confirm it, which is why it's still listed here at 953 ft.
i know...

Quote:
But in this time when a lot of projects aren't starting, and some that have started are on hold,
it's nice to see work starting here, whatever ultimately rises.
you say it, i'm really glad that work is visible here. we have too many towers on hold right now, it's a very exhausting situation for a skyscraper fan.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 5:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Maybe they will finally get that sidewalk shed up...(couple of renewals)

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Wo...20&requestid=2
FILING FOR CONSTRUCTION OF A TEMPORARY SUPPORT STRUCTURE FOR SIDEWALK SHED/PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY DURING NEW BUILDING CONSTRUCTION

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Wo...20&requestid=2
INSTALLATION OF 74 LINEAR FEET OF SUSPENDED SIDEWALK SHED DURING NEW BUILDING CONSTRUCTION

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 6:09 PM
Editor

Please move this to supertall construction: It will be 306 meters tall (1,004ft). My friend from CTBUH has reported that:

http://buildingdb.ctbuh.org/?do=buil...uilding_id=570

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 7:18 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Skyscrapercity and Emporis also has it listed as a supertall, but with varying heights.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 7:28 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Skyscrapercity and Emporis also has it listed as a supertall, but with varying heights.
my guess would be that SSC is using the article from Le Figaro (see above) as one of their sources.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:04 AM
Vamotabbe Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
we have too many towers on hold right now, it's a very exhausting situation for a skyscraper fan.
I was thinking the same thing.

Great to hear that this project is moving forward!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:45 PM
Editor

It´s 306 meters, really. I asked CTBUH again.

Please please move it to supertall construction and change the height in the diagrams!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
It´s 306 meters, really. I asked CTBUH again.

Please please move it to supertall construction and change the height in the diagrams!
Yes, we saw your post a few posts above this one. We prefer to wait for a source. This tower isn't going away, so there's no need to rush when we don't have any info. This image posted on SSC also shows a 306 meter height, but it's dated at least back to 2008. The design was more recently (2009) refered to being something else. I don't think it will hurt anything to wait until the information is released. It could very well be 306 meters, 330 meters, or somethng else entirely.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:18 PM
Editor

Well, let´s wait. I will contact the developer via mail anyway. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Well, let´s wait. I will contact the developer via mail anyway. Thanks.
If we need anything, its a rendering. The height won't be much different than it is now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:29 PM
Editor

Quote:
If we need anything, its a rendering. The height won't be much different than it is now.
I see what I can do. I will ask Marshall Gerometta from CTBUH whether he could give more information. I contacted Extell via mail and asked, whether they might give more information to me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:29 PM

They aren't going to give you guys heights or renderings if they are trying to keep it under wraps. But, please try !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive