HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:15 PM

Hey Canada! How bad are your pot holes?!

Hey Canadian drivers let's face it we all hate pot holes. Unlike the USA where there are tolls that support road work and construction Canada has none. Is that a good thing? Well maybe not...

Here's a story of a local who got his car flipped because of a pothole in Montreal!

Source: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/photo-gal...y-40-1.1191086

Across the Province of Quebec road work is terrible and clearly not build to last.

What about the rest of Canada? Better or worst?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Must've been driving really fast to flip over that far from the pot hole.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Must've been driving really fast to flip over that far from the pot hole.
Likely 100KM p/h - thing is when you get off the highway right away there's the pot hole. It's nearly unavoidable and there's not even a chance for you to slow down before it can get crashed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:10 PM
Go Chiefs!

Can we lock this thread before we embarrass Canada with our "roads"?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:10 PM

How a pothole gets to that point in a city, right off a highway is beyond me. I haven't even seen anything that bad in eastern europe.

In Calgary we have a lot of pot holes but anything that could even be considered to be "sort of big" is dealt with in under a month from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Can we lock this thread before we embarrass Canada with our "roads"?
Our roads are only bad if you compare them to the States. Even places like Germany have some sketchy side roads and our highways are equal for road quality.

We have a massive country and only 35 million people... what do you expect?

(I really wish we would light up our highways though... That makes such a huge difference)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:13 PM

calgary seems to do ok despite the mad freeze thaw cycles here.

i don't really know why that is.

edmonton fares worse from what i remember - the intersection at 106th street and about 40th ave, in duggan, looked like someone dumped a box of grenades all over the place a few years back. it was completely tore up with many large potholes.

it has since been completely re-paved.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:58 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post

Our roads are only bad if you compare them to the States. Even places like Germany have some sketchy side roads and our highways are equal for road quality.

We have a massive country and only 35 million people... what do you expect?

(I really wish we would light up our highways though... That makes such a huge difference)
Having a massive country means nothing because we're talking about cities here. I also want people to stop using the freeze-thaw excuse for the potholes. As soon as you enter Vermont or New York (or any other US state), potholes suddenly disappear despite the same weather conditions.

In fact, Canada's infrastructure in general sucks big time when you compare to the US.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:00 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Soil types do matter when it comes to the formation of pot holes. That and budgets devoted to fixing the roads.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:05 PM

Yup, for having one of the toughest climates for roadways Calgary isn't usually as bad as one might expect. This is in part because lot of Calgary is on top of a gravel-y till. Edmonton tends to have more plastic clays which tend to do some funny things. I don't drive much but from what I've heard it is pretty messy this year.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:08 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton's potholes are particularly bad this year, thanks, as noted above, to a really bad freeze-thaw cycle, but made worse by the fact that the city, in their infinite wisdom, decided to cut the pothole budget for this year.

Hit a pothole in our Acura a month or so.. it was impossible to see in the dark and wet, bent the lower control arm on the pass. side which also damaged the bearing. Also think the rim is bent. We'll see how successful other claims are this year, may decide to sue the city on this one

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:29 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Yup, for having one of the toughest climates for roadways Calgary isn't usually as bad as one might expect. This is in part because lot of Calgary is on top of a gravel-y till. Edmonton tends to have more plastic clays which tend to do some funny things. I don't drive much but from what I've heard it is pretty messy this year.
Correct, the gravel allows any moister that has penetrated the asphalt to drain away.

Edmonton's road structure is usually asphalt on top of gravel on top of cement stabilized clay. Mixing the cement into the clay creates a fairly strong sub structure...but it doesn't allow moisture to drain away. Edmonton is also terribly flat, so water must migrate towards the gutter (usually covered in snow and ice) and then drain on a very shallow slope (typically 0.006m/m) towards a catch basin. Any imperfection in paving, or ice along the gutter will cause the water to sit close to the curb line...in the drive path of the passenger wheel.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:32 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Vancouver doesn't have potholes, at least they are very rare.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:05 PM
Community Guy

^shut up Vancouver.

Edmonton's roads are brutal this year, worst I have seen.... thankfully I rarely have to drive.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:34 PM

x

Last edited by PrairieGirl; Mar 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:36 PM

x

Last edited by PrairieGirl; Mar 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:57 PM

Montreal seems even more brutal than usual this year, especially for really big ones.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 7:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I haven't spent spring in St. John's in many years but they don't seem so bad to me this year. Most of them are very small and they seem to be most common in the centre of the street, right along the yellow line... which is basically irrelevant to my driving.

It is different to be on such quiet roads. I'm used to the constant badum-badum-badum-badum-badum-badum caused by those horizontal grooves in many Winnipeg roads.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:04 PM
Give us a kiss

This confirms my belief that Montreal has the worst cost/benefit ratio in the country for car ownership.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
calgary seems to do ok despite the mad freeze thaw cycles here.

i don't really know why that is.

edmonton fares worse from what i remember - the intersection at 106th street and about 40th ave, in duggan, looked like someone dumped a box of grenades all over the place a few years back. it was completely tore up with many large potholes.

it has since been completely re-paved.
Compared to Edmonton, Calgary's potholes situation is a breeze. Recently visited Edmonton, and my car took a beating even though I was driving like I was in some sort of spacecraft game as I was doing zig-zags around the crater filled streets. I read that Edmonton fills about 450,000 per year vs. 30-40,000/year in Calgary, and one of the main differences is the clay/softer foundations in Edmonton. It's not just the potholes, but there are big crack lines forming everywhere. It looks like the roads are about to sink in and take some cars along with it.

I don't know really know how much more can be done. Oddly enough, the city seems to have dished out a pretty big amount of $$ to re-pave quite a bit of roads over the last few years, but it seems like the situation might actually be getting worse. Even St. Albert, which spends a lot on items such re-paving, has some pretty brutal roads atm.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:20 PM

Why haven't Canadian Cities pounced on the concept being utilized in Northern European Cities? I am lobbying city councillors in Winnipeg to consider it. The upfront costs are higher but the amount saved is far more in the long run.

-No Heave because there is no freeze/thaw as the temperature remains constant (above 0).
-Less accidents
-Less construction costs
-Less painting as stickers could be used since the plows wouldn't rip them off, which brings me to my next point, my biggest pet peave:
-No bloody plows.
-No Salt (degrading cars and killing plants, spilling into waterways etc)
-No sand, no mess.
-Less slipping and falling.

Etc. Etc.

This is being utilized in Europe, so there is no reason for people to say that it can't be done.

Example cities are Michigan in Holland or Oslo in Norway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada