HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 5:12 PM

Uh... have you guys seen the renderings for Concord Plaza?!

http://www.mscretail.com/wp-content/...ochure_sm1.pdf

Although I must say it's super urban for the area.

edit: was able to grab a pic to post:
http://www.ccobh.org/wp-content/uplo...8/image003.jpg

Last edited by skiesthelimit; Nov 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:14 PM

^^ looks great. I'd love to see some sort of streetcar service up from Wilmington to West Chester along 202 with a stop here someday. I can dream at least...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
^^ looks great. I'd love to see some sort of streetcar service up from Wilmington to West Chester along 202 with a stop here someday. I can dream at least...
This is yet another example of how centralized planning leads to better results in the long term (compared to the development on the other side of the PA border in Concord Township).

In Delaware, the Counties have more authority than the local municipality. In PA, it's the exact opposite. So in PA, where others have tried to propose denser infill (the old Franklin Mint site), it gets squashed by NIMBYs. Which ironically, creates more sprawl and consumes more green space.

In DE, the county authorizes everything. Thus, you get pleasing results like this. Ditto for what is shaping up to be basically a complete transformation of Claymont from a downtrodden company town to a 21st Century mixed use / work /live transit oriented neighborhood. Claymont's transformation will only accelerate as soft sites like the Tri State Mall and the old Steel Mill get pulled into the action, which is currently focused around Archmere Academy and the Claymont Train Station.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:59 PM
Me?!?

New plans for old Pennsauken Mart site - apartments and maybe retail
Updated: NOVEMBER 24, 2016 — 5:45 AM EST

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/lo...be_retail.html

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 5:04 PM

Has anyone herd of this or shared it here before?

I'm not aware of someone sharing this article here, so I'll share it.

Has anyone herd of 2 possible hotels coming to the riverfront in Wilmington? One being a 100 room Homewood Suits by Hilton and a 200 room Marriott hotel? I haven't herd any news on this lately but there was an article on it since late February of this year and it surprises me that I haven't seen anyone share this article here.

Here's the article - http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ront/80748236/

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I'm not aware of someone sharing this article here, so I'll share it.

Has anyone herd of 2 possible hotels coming to the riverfront in Wilmington? One being a 100 room Homewood Suits by Hilton and a 200 room Marriott hotel? I haven't herd any news on this lately but there was an article on it since late February of this year and it surprises me that I haven't seen anyone share this article here.

Here's the article - http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ront/80748236/
Yeah - I posted it back on the old Wilmington thread, but I haven't read anything new since February either. The article said - "early stages of planning", so maybe we will hear something soon.
Perhaps B/P Group and the Wilmington Riverfront Development Corp. are waiting a few extra weeks to make an announcement after their main-man ....the new mayor, Mike Purzycki is sworn in. (Purzycki was the Executive Director of the Wilm. RDC from 1996-2016 before running for mayor). Would be a nice way to begin the new administration!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 2:00 AM

Architecture firm denied tax breaks is moving to Camden anyway

Quote:
The company has since spent about $1 million buying and renovating a historic building on the 100 block of Market that was once home to the National State Bank of Camden. The new firm, made up of Alberto & Associates, Haddonfield-based Haley Donovan, Philadelphia-based Berzinsky Architects, and Merchantville's La Vardera architecture design, is named City Invincible, a nod to Camden's history with the poet Walt Whitman. The company's owners hope to move in after the first of the year.

City Invincible, which was officially formed in August, does urban planning and interior design as well as architecture. The 25 members of the company have experience in projects ranging from affordable housing to schools. Several have worked on Camden projects for decades, such as Haley, whose firm was responsible for the Meadows apartments in North Camden.

The company merger had been in the works for some time, Haley said, because the firms worked on similar projects and saw opportunities for collaboration. When they started talking about a new office, Camden quickly rose to the top of the list. "Our office is in Haddonfield, but we don't get a lot of work out of Haddonfield," Haley said.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...en_anyway.html

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 9:00 PM

Wilmington University expansion - Concord Pike (202)

Some work has commenced for WU's major expansion plans - across the street from the Best Buy/Ulta/Barnes and Noble (and Concord Mall). There will be lots and lots of parking.
Awful, wished they would have built something in Wilmington, downtown or on the Riverfront.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:10 PM

Here are some updates on some projects in Delaware (Outside of Wilmington):

1.) US-301 (est completion: December 2018)

Route:

Construction:

Description
This project is being built to add an alternate route to Washington DC to avoid Baltimore traffic. It's also being built to eliminate the traffic in this area. Most of the road's foundation is planned out and interchange construction (seen above) is going on right now. This project is estimated to be completed in December of 2018.

2.) Diverging Diamond Interchange (est Mid 2017)

Rendering:

Construction:

Description:
A Diverging Diamond Interchange (or DVI) is an interchange that crosses over to form a diamond, making drivers shift to the left side of the road and then back over after the bridge. It might seem like a weird design, but it will make interchanges flow smoother and eliminate traffic.

3.) CSC Headquarters

Rendering

Construction:
(Unfortunately, I can't find any recent construction photos, but I will take one the next time I drive by it.)

This took a while to type (considering that I'm a fast typer), so I hope it comes in useful.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
This would work awesome if the cross areas also had little bridges.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 10:09 PM

^ it will not "eliminate traffic" as much as DOT folks might like to say that. Induced demand is real, and this will only encourage more auto-dependent development, more driving.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 11:22 PM

My college town installed quite a few diverging diamond interchanges and I have to say they seem to work fairly well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
^ it will not "eliminate traffic" as much as DOT folks might like to say that. Induced demand is real, and this will only encourage more auto-dependent development, more driving.
I guess your sort of right, but I kind of see why this might help eliminate traffic flow because take a look at some the current existing ones (especially the MO-13 one). But I see your point in terms of other ones (like the I-26 one in SC). IMO, I think it really depends on the area is its suitable, and I see it as something helpful in Delaware, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:03 PM

Regardless of the city or state, my view is this: so long as a city/county allows or encourages development that is auto-oriented and low-density, and so long as a DOT continues to build highways as the primary/sole means of getting around, there will always be traffic. That's exactly what they're building for.

Diverging Diamond may be an innovative engineering feat in terms of highway interchanges, but the fact that the DOT is still widening so many highways and still building so many enormous new interchanges is the least innovative thing they could be doing right now. It simply encourages folks who live in high-density areas to move south to lower density areas where land is super cheap, because hey, now they can get into town in just 30 minutes so why continue to live there?

The DOT is as responsible as any other entity for the ongoing trend of disinvestment DE cities and towns and for encouraging the type of unsustainable sprawling development that will begin to cripple the state's finances in the next decade. Can't even begin to tell you how frustrating this is to see happening up and down the state.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:09 PM

Wilmington - Residence Inn Marriott

From earlier today.

Looking northeast from 13 x Market:

Looking northwest from 13th, mid-block:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 12:03 AM

Really like this building! It is not tall, but they do a really nice job of integrating the glass, stone, and wood in a fairly modern way. I think a lot of modern buildings would look better by replacing cheap ugly metal paneling with stone of some type.

Quote:
Here are some updates on some projects in Delaware (Outside of Wilmington):

3.) CSC Headquarters

Rendering

Construction:
(Unfortunately, I can't find any recent construction photos, but I will take one the next time I drive by it.)

This took a while to type (considering that I'm a fast typer), so I hope it comes in useful.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 1:28 AM
Me?!?

Liberty Property Trust begins work on Camden Waterfront development
Updated: DECEMBER 5, 2016 — 5:19 PM EST
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...velopment.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:56 PM

Conshy News

Zoning variance for a larger building.

http://morethanthecurve.com/oneill-p...en-riverfront/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 7:43 PM

^^An increase from 9 floors to 14 floors. Pretty nice!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^An increase from 9 floors to 14 floors. Pretty nice!

What building is this? And is it in Wilmington? Cause if so, that would be awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations