Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 6:53 PM

How Not To Treat A Central Waterfront

How Not To Treat A Central Waterfront

February 13, 2012

By Mark Hinshaw

Read More: http://crosscut.com/2012/02/13/real-...al-waterfront/

Quote:
Seattle’s planning process for a new waterfront park has been winding through twists and turns, but it has been for the most part free of the rancor and controversy that typically surround large redevelopment initiatives and that characterized the tunnel debate. Indeed, at times, the conceptual work on the new park has almost been a love fest. Landscape architect James Corner's mellifluous descriptions of expansive grassy roofs, angular folds, and fun-filled spaces replete with street vendors, performance art, heated pools, and teeming crowds have been met by appreciative audiences — so far.

- But 1,250 miles to the south, at the other end of the left coast, another city is embroiled in a throwdown between its mayor and a powerful local developer. Mayor Jerry Sanders has long advocated an expansion of the city’s elongated convention center, located between the downtown and the bay. Despite its dramatic form, the convention center has created a lengthy wall with a row of truck docks facing the water. Mayor Sanders wants to rearrange the functions of the building and open it to water views and a series of connected public spaces.

- I recently took in the San Diego skyline from a slender promenade a few miles west — a viewpoint similar to what we have from Alki Beach in West Seattle. Dozens of recently-constructed towers glistened in the mid-winter sun, with hulking cruise ships nestled into docks in the foreground. Word has it that some San Diegans have noted how dramatic the Seattle skyline is, bookended on the south by visually prominent sport venues. “Wouldn’t San Diego benefit from a similar structure gracing its waterfront profile?” they ask.

- So what is the take-away for Seattle? In recent years, waterfronts around the world have attracted big ideas. Such blockbuster ideas often sweep away virtually anything left of earlier eras of maritime commerce, docks, shipping, and commerce. So valuable are these places that they lend themselves to drama and such civic hubris. But we in Seattle have a tradition that builds upon the actions and investments of many separate agencies, companies, institutions, and organizations. The Pike Place Market is a vivid manifestation of this marvelous mélange of small, home-grown businesses, skillful management, citizen oversight, and thousands of people who care deeply about the place and spend their time and money there.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 7:07 PM
Babylon falling

A study just came out showing that San Diego handles 1.1% of all West Coast maritime cargo. So we are obviously not a port city and will probably never get that number much higher than 2%. If SD looks at things logically we can consolidate all cargo activities a bit to the south on the National City bay front and open up those 96 acres at the 10th Ave. terminal downtown for other uses. The problem in SD is everyone is so stuck in their ways and they never want to work together to find common sense solutions.

For people who are not familiar with SD with are actively redoing our waterfront on the North West side of downtown, this article is referring to a very small section of our waterfront.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:14 AM

Does anyone have and percentage on how much LA/Long beach or the bay area or Seattle handle as far as the percentage of cargo on the west coast.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:44 AM

LA/Long Beach combined handle about 40% of all imports into the US if i recall correctly

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:54 AM
Never Dell

Seattle and Tacoma, which are roughly equal, might combine for 1/3 of LA's total. Counting containers.

LA's 40% figure, if real in some way, would be something like containers. Certainly not including oil etc.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 3:06 AM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
A study just came out showing that San Diego handles 1.1% of all West Coast maritime cargo. So we are obviously not a port city and will probably never get that number much higher than 2%. If SD looks at things logically we can consolidate all cargo activities a bit to the south on the National City bay front and open up those 96 acres at the 10th Ave. terminal downtown for other uses. The problem in SD is everyone is so stuck in their ways and they never want to work together to find common sense solutions.

For people who are not familiar with SD with are actively redoing our waterfront on the North West side of downtown, this article is referring to a very small section of our waterfront.
Much of San Diego's "cargo" is cars from Asia. Many of the Asian manufacturers ship to SD. I'd have to wonder if this is taken into account.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 3:07 AM
Khurram Parvaz

I'd say what Dubai is doing. (Wait what is Dubai's Central Waterfront {Marina, Beach, Lagoons, Business Bay etc.}). Don't copy Dubai's city planning.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 5:57 AM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Much of San Diego's "cargo" is cars from Asia. Many of the Asian manufacturers ship to SD. I'd have to wonder if this is taken into account.
I think that is probably counted. There was an article in the Union Tribune two days ago that quoted the 1.1% of West Coast cargo stat. So if LA is 40% of the nation it would be what 80% of West Coast (Not sure I believe the 40% stat quoted earlier in the thread).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:05 AM

from an LA Times article in January..

Despite those increases, Los Angeles and Long Beach remain strong. Overall, the twin ports' share of international cargo containers moved by the 10 largest North American ports has fallen to 41.7% this year from 42.6% last year.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec...nking-20111230

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:18 AM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
from an LA Times article in January..

Despite those increases, Los Angeles and Long Beach remain strong. Overall, the twin ports' share of international cargo containers moved by the 10 largest North American ports has fallen to 41.7% this year from 42.6% last year.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec...nking-20111230
Well lets not highjack the thread, what do you think about scrapping the 10th Ave. marine terminal and replacing it with sports/convention facilities?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:59 AM
Category Five

Awful article.

1st of all, the stadium proposal cited is NOT the current Chargers proposal. It's a proposal the Union Tribune (SD's newspaper) did. The current site proposal is close to the bay but it's not adjacent.

2nd, the stadium would be a vast improvement over the "port" we have. This is how it looks right now.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.70115,...92102&t=h&z=16

Having the stadium will actually improve access to the bay.

For the Midway proposal, the current plan is to put a park "lid" over the pier which is currently home to a parking lot. Again, the park is an improvement over a parking lot. The last part of the proposal includes something iconic at the end of the pier. Currently they're proposing the "Wings of Freedom" statue. Hopefully they can find something else to put on there but it's a perfect place for something iconic.

I also like how the author fails to mention the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan, or the Lane Field development, or the Navy Broadway Complex redevelopment....all which will have a dramatic effect on our waterfront.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Well lets not highjack the thread, what do you think about scrapping the 10th Ave. marine terminal and replacing it with sports/convention facilities?

sounds good to me.

In regards to the sports / convention facilities, im not too knowledgeable. ill do some research and get back to you

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 5:30 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Isn't that land very unstable? Why would you put a stadium there?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
I think that is probably counted. There was an article in the Union Tribune two days ago that quoted the 1.1% of West Coast cargo stat. So if LA is 40% of the nation it would be what 80% of West Coast (Not sure I believe the 40% stat quoted earlier in the thread).
Or 60%-70% of the West Coast. I have no idea, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the value of goods coming into West Coast ports was significantly higher than East Coast and Gulf Coast ports. We import all our crap from Asia, afterall.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Isn't that land very unstable? Why would you put a stadium there?
You could have had said the same thing during the time they built the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, but it worked anyway. I am certain a similar engineering concept will work here.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 11:01 PM

Best urban waterfront treatment I've ever seen was tearing down the Embarcadero Freeway in San Francisco and opening up the waterfront to the City.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 8:43 PM
Stuck in the Suburbs

How NOT to create an urban waterfront?
2 words-
Kansas City.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaCJ View Post
How NOT to create an urban waterfront?
2 words-
Kansas City.
Kansas City has always been more of a railtown than river town, but it's interesting that the city does have a proper and fairly historic 19th century "river warehouse district." An innovative riverfront carved out of the overgrown bank near downtown would light up that area like crazy, even though it's done pretty well anyway.

There is a walkway and an isolated platform to view the river (photos mine).

St. Louis should also fall under how not to create an urban waterfront.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 1:27 AM
TL;DR

Flood control is a concern in St. Louis (and here in New Orleans). It's not an insurmountable challenge, though:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:52 AM
Never Dell

That looks like an unfenced drop. I hate the US' liability laws and obsession with fencing off every hazard, but I find the exceptions amusing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions