HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 5:34 AM

I'd guess that the company ends up paying the fines... and slaps repeat offending members with extra fees.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 8:18 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Evo is owned by BCAA so I'm sure they have the capital if they think it's worthwhile. I didn't know that about the Prius C, but I'm sure Evo did. They're probably already prepping for a move to the Corolla.

That, or simply folding up, who knows.

Not so sure BCAA is quite the financial powerhouse some people beleive it to be. Most car companies contract out their own roadside assistance packages these days as well as competition from Costco, Canadian tire and a few credit cards even offer it to their owners. Even their travel side is probably a shadow of its former self. I recall when they came out with Evo they stated it was to target the millennial crowd, as they were lost to them. I do hope Evo sticks around, I just see it as a tough go for them and they will have to walk a fine line of raising thier fees to make money.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Not so sure BCAA is quite the financial powerhouse some people beleive it to be. Most car companies contract out their own roadside assistance packages these days as well as competition from Costco, Canadian tire and a few credit cards even offer it to their owners. Even their travel side is probably a shadow of its former self. I recall when they came out with Evo they stated it was to target the millennial crowd, as they were lost to them. I do hope Evo sticks around, I just see it as a tough go for them and they will have to walk a fine line of raising thier fees to make money.
I'll admit I don't know their details, but they are a solid choice for optional car insurance coverage too. If we're talking about buying or leasing a few hundred Prius Cs, that's not breaking their bank.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I'd guess that the company ends up paying the fines... and slaps repeat offending members with extra fees.
Well the person who left the car there would pay the tickets and fees. The FAQ says to stick any tickets in the glove compartment box.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:28 PM

Tragic accident , I wonder wht Car2Go's liability is, if any, in cases like this?

Cab driver dead in east Vancouver T-bone collision with Car2go
The 28-year-old cab driver has been identified as driver as Randhawa Sanehpal, of Vancouver.
STEPHANIE IP Updated: December 29, 2019

...Vancouver police say alcohol and speed appear to be factors, and that the driver of the Car2go is believed to have evaded police during a CounterAttack roadblock earlier in the evening.

Around 3:30 a.m. Sunday, a Car2go entered the intersection of 1st Avenue and Renfrew against a red light and T-boned a Yellow Cab carrying two passengers.

“The force of the collision sent the taxi into the Royal Bank on the southeast corner, causing damage to the building,” according to a police statement...

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...on-with-car2go

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Tragic accident , I wonder wht Car2Go's liability is, if any, in cases like this?
They'll be at fault under their own blanket insurance, then they'll go after the driver in court to recoup.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
They'll be at fault under their own blanket insurance, then they'll go after the driver in court to recoup.
And since I assume the driver doesn't have Autoplan, he'll end up having to pay the judgement himself? Good!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
And since I assume the driver doesn't have Autoplan, he'll end up having to pay the judgement himself? Good!
Would likely go voluntary into bankruptcy because of an inability to pay up.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Well the person who left the car there would pay the tickets and fees. The FAQ says to stick any tickets in the glove compartment box.
Yes, you pay for whatever fines are incurred, including extra fees from Evo for processing them. In a rush to get to work, I left one in a space close to the time when it would become a no parking zone, thinking someone would likely use it quickly enough to avoid a towing. I will never do that again.

I was also charged once for parking in the wrong section of Pacific Centre parkade.

Being able to park for free at any metered spots in the COV has made life a lot easier.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:21 AM

Looks like Evo has decided to step up; they are adding 250 more cars by this spring, and are setting their sights for an additional expansion in the summer:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...r2go-1.5452539

Quote:
The car-share service Evo has announced it will be adding 250 more cars to its Vancouver-based fleet, a little more than three weeks before its biggest competitor drops out of the local market.

A statement Wednesday said Evo's new hybrid cars will arrive in the spring, with the company setting its sights on a second expansion in the summer.

Tai Silvey, the company vice-president, described the expansion as Evo "stepping up" as its rival shuts down operations.

Share Now, formerly known as Car2Go, is pulling out of North America after Feb. 29.

The company announced its departure in December, blaming it on the "volatile state of the global mobility landscape." It cited increased competition among car-share services, rising operating costs and the lack of infrastructure to support new technology such as electric vehicles.
Evo has also noted that new registrations for their service has jumped since Share Now made the announcement, with 576 new registrations on the day of the announcement alone.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastEcho View Post
Looks like Evo has decided to step up; they are adding 250 more cars by this spring, and are setting their sights for an additional expansion in the summer:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...r2go-1.5452539

Evo has also noted that new registrations for their service has jumped since Share Now made the announcement, with 576 new registrations on the day of the announcement alone.
I assume we'll see a new model of car. The Prius C is no longer made... unless Toyota still has an inventory. I would guess they will add the Corolla hybrid.

Ron.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:41 AM

Just what the region needs. More inexperienced drivers on the road driving at night with no lights on.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 6:05 AM

250 cars shows a pretty strong commitment to the car share business in Vancouver. A long ways to go though to replace all of the cars that car2go had in service.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Just what the region needs. More inexperienced drivers on the road driving at night with no lights on.
No kidding. I've lost count of how many car shares have been on the road with no lights on.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
No kidding. I've lost count of how many car shares have been on the road with no lights on.
I see a lot of cars that way lately. I don't get it. Doesn't every car built in the last 5+ years just have an "auto" setting you set and leave on all the time?!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
250 cars shows a pretty strong commitment to the car share business in Vancouver. A long ways to go though to replace all of the cars that car2go had in service.
I don't know what the numbers for Car2Go and Evo are, but a reduced number doesn't necessarily mean poorer availability because fewer providers means less duplication. For example, if they both had 1000 cars each (2000 total) before and there's only 1250 Evo cars afterward, you may still get just as good coverage, depending on what percentage of cars are in use at any point in time. That's because you'll no longer have both Car2Go and Evo cars at the same location waiting to be hired.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I don't know what the numbers for Car2Go and Evo are, but a reduced number doesn't necessarily mean poorer availability because fewer providers means less duplication. For example, if they both had 1000 cars each (2000 total) before and there's only 1250 Evo cars afterward, you may still get just as good coverage, depending on what percentage of cars are in use at any point in time. That's because you'll no longer have both Car2Go and Evo cars at the same location waiting to be hired.
I believe Car2go was in the 500+ range for vehicles. 250 is a very reasonable expansion for them to undertake, given ride hailing is here now as well.

They are promising a new app too, which is long overdue.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
I see a lot of cars that way lately. I don't get it. Doesn't every car built in the last 5+ years just have an "auto" setting you set and leave on all the time?!
Not if the previous driver happened to turn it to the "OFF" position.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Not if the previous driver happened to turn it to the "OFF" position.
Too bad it's a physical switch. It should reset when the car turns on.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Too bad it's a physical switch. It should reset when the car turns on.
I believe some switches are spring loaded. So that you can turn off the lights when the key is in the run position. But it will automatically reset to auto mode when the key is cycled.

Some switches however are manual and you can leave them in off mode.

Also keep in mind all after Sept 2021 all new vehicles sold must have tail lights that come on either with the DRL, or all lights must come on automatically in the dark (which is kind of what we have now), or the dash must stay dark if the tail / running lights are not illuminated. (This last one is probably the main reason you see some people with no tail lights)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure