HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:09 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
But if you park there at 2pm and nobody picks up the car for an hour, is that your fault?

This will happen more now that they can park at city meters without paying. All of those rush hour lanes are metered.

Who else's fault would it be?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
But if you park there at 2pm and nobody picks up the car for an hour, is that your fault?

This will happen more now that they can park at city meters without paying. All of those rush hour lanes are metered.
That's why you end your trip at non-time restricted meters.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:42 PM

Chances are they don't check their credit card statements and won't even notice the charge.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
yes it is. you ended the trip knowing that if no one uses it, the car will get towed.

it is gambling. you are betting someone else will take it before 3pm. so you either play it safe, or gamble; like most things in life.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:48 PM

Damaged Evo cars littering the streets? Who'd have thunk it?

Dozens of Evo ride shares draw complaints in East Vancouver
By Kier Junos
Posted Jan 25, 2023, 9:26PM PST

Residents and businesses in an East Vancouver neighbourhood say there are too many Evos parked on their street, all waiting for repairs.

On Triumph Street in East Vancouver, dozens of damaged cars belonging to Evo Car Share are waiting for repairs at an auto shop.

It’s perfectly legal for the broken vehicles to sit in the free parking areas around this block, but some neighbouring businesses say they’re finding them to be a nuisance.

“Showing up to work and you have two vans about to load in and there’s 18 crashed Evos in front of your studio is pretty annoying,” said Mariessa McLeoud, an audio engineer in the neighbourhood. “Maybe they should try to rent a lot somewhere if they’re Evo and they have enough money.”...

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/0...ast-vancouver/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 7:40 PM

This is just because EVO is visually distinct from other cars; however, it is a common scene around many repair shops. They store a lot of cars on the street because they don’t have large enough yard for storage. Nothing special… move on

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

Dozens of Evo ride shares draw complaints in East Vancouver
By Kier Junos
Posted Jan 25, 2023, 9:26PM PST

Residents and businesses in an East Vancouver neighbourhood say there are too many Evos parked on their street, all waiting for repairs.

On Triumph Street in East Vancouver, dozens of damaged cars belonging to Evo Car Share are waiting for repairs at an auto shop.

It’s perfectly legal for the broken vehicles to sit in the free parking areas around this block, but some neighbouring businesses say they’re finding them to be a nuisance.

“Showing up to work and you have two vans about to load in and there’s 18 crashed Evos in front of your studio is pretty annoying,” said Mariessa McLeoud, an audio engineer in the neighbourhood. “Maybe they should try to rent a lot somewhere if they’re Evo and they have enough money.”...

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/0...ast-vancouver/
"Concerned resident complains that cars are parked on street

'Even worse', resident adds, 'they're not my car!'"

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
"Concerned resident complains that cars are parked on street

'Even worse', resident adds, 'they're not my car!'"
These repair shops are being shitty neighbors. You don't own the spot outside your house, but the repair shop doesn't own the entire block either.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 7:55 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Don't tell me you're against car share

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
whatnext is a west side NIMBY with mildly racist overtones (the Chinese are the cause of all of our housing and other related problems).

He wishes Vancouver didn't change from the 70s.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 8:33 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
whatnext is a west side NIMBY with mildly racist overtones (the Chinese are the cause of all of our housing and other related problems).

He wishes Vancouver didn't change from the 70s.
I'm aware. whatnext being anti-car share is the most predictable thing ever. It aligns nicely with their anti-bike and "eat the poor" posts.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
I'm aware. whatnext being anti-car share is the most predictable thing ever. It aligns nicely with their anti-bike and "eat the poor" posts.
Imagine being anti-car share because a certain make can't get parts to fix it on time...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not anti-car share but there is some appalling driving "skills" exhibited by Evo drivers. It seems to be a revelation to some that headlights are to be used once it gets dark.

Driving is a skill like any other complex task. If you don't do it often your skills get rusty. would you want to get on a plane with a pilot who only flew every few months?

In posters' rush to seem holier than thou, many seemed to have ignored the fact that it was mostly neighbouring businesses complaining. Why are their needs secondary to a repair shop fixing the mistakes of a legion of bad Evo drivers?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not anti-car share but there is some appalling driving "skills" exhibited by Evo drivers. It seems to be a revelation to some that headlights are to be used once it gets dark.

Driving is a skill like any other complex task. If you don't do it often your skills get rusty. would you want to get on a plane with a pilot who only flew every few months?

In posters' rush to seem holier than thou, many seemed to have ignored the fact that it was mostly neighbouring businesses complaining. Why are their needs secondary to a repair shop fixing the mistakes of a legion of bad Evo drivers?
The city should have paid parking here if demand is outstripping supply.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 11:03 PM

I think it's a question of scope and reasonableness.

If Buster's Towing stored their impounded cars on the street, or Budget Rent-a-Car did so, that wouldn't be fair, at least in a residential area. You'd think the City would be all over using public space for private enterprise (i.e. filming in parks, etc.)

The solution for the neighbourhood would be to implement a "residents only" policy like neighbourhoods around Langara or SkyTrain stations.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Why are their needs secondary to a repair shop fixing the mistakes of a legion of bad Evo drivers?
They're not secondary. The issue is the "storage" of the vehicles they are fixing. That's about it. Nothing to do with the make of the vehicle, the company EVO, or the drivers.

People that have their license their whole life and drive every day are just as terrible as Evo drivers that drive once a year. You just notice some EVO drivers more because they all drive "the same vehicle". Kinda like Tesla owners or pick-up trucks, etc.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think it's a question of scope and reasonableness.

If Buster's Towing stored their impounded cars on the street, or Budget Rent-a-Car did so, that wouldn't be fair, at least in a residential area. You'd think the City would be all over using public space for private enterprise (i.e. filming in parks, etc.)

The solution for the neighbourhood would be to implement a "residents only" policy like neighbourhoods around Langara or SkyTrain stations.
Tow companies are required by bylaw to have all vehicles stored in the tow yard. Parking EVO cars are regulated by other bylaw. It all comes down to regulations and enforcement of them.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:

Evo’s charge by the minute so you can’t screw around driving behind grandpa whatnext. When I’m driving an Evo, I draft in behind slow drivers like you, then slingshot around so I can beat that red.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Jack Donaghy: I've been appointed to the task force leading the war on the poor.

Liz Lemon: You mean "the war on poverty"?

Jack Donagy: Sure, let's call it that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Evo’s charge by the minute so you can’t screw around driving behind grandpa whatnext. When I’m driving an Evo, I draft in behind slow drivers like you, then slingshot around so I can beat that red.
LOL, I’m far from a slow driver but judging from the description of your driving technique, you sound like a typical male EVO driver, I hope you at least know where to find the headlight switch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure