HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:15 PM
Community Guy

KLM is perhaps the most important flight we have, good to see it seeing some positive news.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Interesting that the article talks about refurbishing the 330's. I thought we were supposed to see KLM 787's at YEG but maybe not. I'll take the seating layout of the 330 over the 787 any day.
The 330s were supposed to be upgraded by year end according to KLM. With respect to 787s it seems even Calgary is going back to a330s from 787s according to a recent update from KLM.

Not sure what they mean by sporting events causing the increase in flights - my guess is more the fact Icelandair is stopping flights early - KLM my see this as an opportunity to get market share witht he additional flight.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:57 PM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
KLM again increasing flights from three to four for Nov 2018 to March 2019 for 'winter sports holidays':

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...-naar-edmonton
The article doesn’t mention anything about November, just March.

Schedules still show 3 weekly Nov-Dec then 2 weekly again for most of January then 3 weekly in Feb then 4 weekly in March and onwards.

Pretty much the same as last winter really. I think the period where the flights are only 2 weekly has been reduced but definitely doesn’t look like 4 weekly for the winter as suggested.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
The article doesn’t mention anything about November, just March.

Schedules still show 3 weekly Nov-Dec then 2 weekly again for most of January then 3 weekly in Feb then 4 weekly in March and onwards.

Pretty much the same as last winter really. I think the period where the flights are only 2 weekly has been reduced but definitely doesn’t look like 4 weekly for the winter as suggested.
I could be completely mistaken but didn't FI fly to YEG daily or 6x weekly in the summer ever? Was it/has it always been 4x weekly in the summer?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:15 PM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
I could be completely mistaken but didn't FI fly to YEG daily or 6x weekly in the summer ever? Was it/has it always been 4x weekly in the summer?
Yes, last summer they were at 6 weekly but reduced through the winter.
Now suspended through the winter and reduced to 4 weekly in the summer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:45 PM
designer extrodinnaire

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:06 PM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
Doesn’t make it more accurate.

All I’m saying is despite what is written, the schedules indicate otherwise.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Last winter, KLM operated 2 weekly from mid January until the beginning of March. This winter it will only operate 2 weekly for 2 weeks in January.

Quote:
1 November to 7 January: departure on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
7 January to 20 January: departure on Tuesday and Sunday
20 January to 28 February: departure on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday
1 March to 30 March : departure on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday
https://skiinformatie.nl/klm-vliegt-...r-naar-canada/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:17 PM

Looks like WestJet's Mexico routes will stay mainline. Swoop is launching Hamilton and Abbotsford to Mexico.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 6:08 AM
Displaced Edmontonian

Air Transat summer '19 and YEG

So if I'm reading the news release right, the only service Transat will be offering from Edmonton next summer will be a flight to Toronto, which is being marketed to open up a raft of connections to Europe.

There will be a number of European flights, (including London and Amsterdam from YYC) but none from Edmonton, and the airline says only "It's also worth noting Air Transat is launching a new summer flight between Edmonton and Toronto, opening the door to European travel to people in northern Alberta."

I can't remember when they abandoned YEG-LGW service, but there you have it.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
So if I'm reading the news release right, the only service Transat will be offering from Edmonton next summer will be a flight to Toronto, which is being marketed to open up a raft of connections to Europe.

There will be a number of European flights, (including London and Amsterdam from YYC) but none from Edmonton, and the airline says only "It's also worth noting Air Transat is launching a new summer flight between Edmonton and Toronto, opening the door to European travel to people in northern Alberta."

I can't remember when they abandoned YEG-LGW service, but there you have it.
Given some of niche locations that AT is flying to in Europe like Venice, Zagreb or Bordeaux - the connection through Toronto is likely fast and inexpensive. Who in their right mind wants to connect through London. And let’s not forget we still have KL and FI providing tremendous reach into Europe. Once WS has more metal into Europe - travellers will have the additional option of WS through YYZ into Europe avoiding London Airports (and YYC).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 2:39 PM

KLM is happy with Edmonton overall, I wouldn't look too much into these relatively minor reallocations of capacity.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
KLM is happy with Edmonton overall, I wouldn't look too much into these relatively minor reallocations of capacity.
That is great news and we will continue to support KLM when we fly to Europe.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 4:29 PM

Edmonton International Airport

Passenger Statistics for September 2018 --

Highlights:

§ Terminal Traffic: 642,384 passengers (5,928,152 Year-to-date)
Domestic 558,894 passengers (4,873,472 Year-to-date)
Transborder 64,780 passengers (704,952 Year-to-date)
International 18,710 passengers (349,728 Year-to-date)

§ FBO Traffic*: 42,856 passengers (312,928 Year-to-date)

§ Grand Total: Overall 685,240 passengers (6,241,080 Year-to-date)

Growth%:

§ Terminal: 7.3% (6.6% Year-to-date)
Domestic 7.9% (6.9% Year-to-date)
Transborder 8.4% (9% Year-to-date)
International -11.3% (-1.4% Year-to-date)

§ FBO Traffic: -0.2% (-3.6% Year-to-date)

§ Grand Total: Overall 6.8% (6.1% Year-to-date)

*FBO passengers are passengers using the fixed base operators at YEG and not the main terminal. Most of this traffic serves energy and mining projects in the north.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 7:50 PM

Major avgeek kind of question here: I noticed on LAX's departure listings that Edmonton is called "Edmonton Capital Region". Why is the extended name necessary? Please don't tell me it's some sort of "inclusionary" ridiculousness, because I'm not used to seeing that kind of nonsense applied to the vast majority of airports in metropolitan areas.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Major avgeek kind of question here: I noticed on LAX's departure listings that Edmonton is called "Edmonton Capital Region". Why is the extended name necessary? Please don't tell me it's some sort of "inclusionary" ridiculousness, because I'm not used to seeing that kind of nonsense applied to the vast majority of airports in metropolitan areas.
Old term: officially it is the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Old term: officially it is the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
That's not my point.

Poorly stated: my question is why the f**k isn't it just Edmonton? How is it that the region (the tail) continually wags Edmonton (the dog)?

Last time I checked, it's called the Edmonton International Airport, not the Edmonton Capital/Metropolitan Region Airport (even though the City capitulated and pussied out of amalgamating the airport).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:43 AM

I wonder what impact the newly announced WOW flight from YVR - KEF might have on the FI service at YVR and possibly YEG. Price wise WOW will be more economical for travellers. Any withdrawal by FI at YVR, I hope has no impact on FI services at YEG - maybe even a return on some flights. A WOW flight to YYC might take some of the wind out of WS “sales” on its new flights to Europe ... as WOW looks to continue expansion in Canada.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2019/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:28 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I wonder what impact the newly announced WOW flight from YVR - KEF might have on the FI service at YVR and possibly YEG. Price wise WOW will be more economical for travellers. Any withdrawal by FI at YVR, I hope has no impact on FI services at YEG - maybe even a return on some flights. A WOW flight to YYC might take some of the wind out of WS “sales” on its new flights to Europe ... as WOW looks to continue expansion in Canada.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2019/
FI is actually expanding at YVR and it looks like they are in fact expanding year-round.

WW has chosen to add YVR despite all the competition there.

WW could have added YEG... But they haven’t (maybe they will).

And this is despite FI reducing flights at YEG - with very little competition at YEG to Europe, FI has pulled back at YEG.

“Any withdrawal by FI at YVR” is rather presumptuous... there are many reasons why so many carriers offer so many flights to Europe from YVR.

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Oct 23, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:00 PM

^ I think the WOW flights to YVR are related to the WOW India flights.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton