HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 1:16 AM

No Uber for Christmas.
Quote:
Days before the May 9, 2017, election, John Horgan, a candidate then but now the premier, promised to bring Uber, Lyft and other ride-hailing services to B.C. by the end of the year.

Now, the government is backtracking, saying it cannot confirm when legislation will be tabled or what that legislation will include. Instead, it is commissioning a new report by an independent industry expert.

Transportation Minister Claire Trevena announced the province has commissioned Dan Hara, of Hara and Associates, at a cost of $165,000, to consult with the taxi industry and other stakeholders ahead of any new government legislation regarding ride hailing.

The report will serve as the starting point for a "made in B.C." approach to legislation which could come by spring of 2018 at the latest," said Trevena.
Greens are sticking through legislation Thursday so maybe the NDP will get bypassed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...year-1.4357347

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:43 AM

Lol Dan Hara making some big bucks, will probably copy paste his old report.

At least we still have http://www.kuaiche.ca/ up and running !!

ron

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:02 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
At least we still have http://www.kuaiche.ca/ up and running !!

ron
Is... that a real operational thing?

...this city.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:42 AM

Part of their terms of reference:

Quote:
Identify municipal, TFN or provincial policies, rules, regulation or legislation that may be impeding the taxi industry’s ability to modernize to meet consumer
needs.
If the idiots knew we wouldn't need ridesharing.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/rpt/Document...-Reference.pdf

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:06 PM

another progressive idea brought to you by your BC NDP!

We get a report, to comission a study, to establish a committee, to start a consultation. We'll be lucky if there is anything happening on this by the next provincial election.

Maybe the liberals can put their pride aside and support Weaver to pass his motion. That would give the party big brownie points and maybe pave a path to having the Libs/Greens work together and topple the NDP. I really don't understand how anyone thought this NDP would be any different than the last NDP government.

Frankly I am not sure what the NDP are protecting, it's not like the people who actually drive the cabs are well compensated or paid a living wage?!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:13 PM

Dumb move on the NDPs part. Slowing down something which is already so late in coming to this region is only going to alienate voters, especially when rideshares are cheaper. Wasn’t the entire election about affordability? Morons ruining their opportunity.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Part of their terms of reference:

If the idiots knew we wouldn't need ridesharing.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/rpt/Document...-Reference.pdf
You notice nowhere in the list of people to consult is Uber, or Lift. I am not expect a lot from this report.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
You notice nowhere in the list of people to consult is Uber, or Lift. I am not expect a lot from this report.
for reference here is the list that is being consulted.

 Vancouver Taxi Association
 BC Taxi Association
 Taxi Drivers’ Association of Southern BC
 Passenger Transportation Board
 RoadSafetyBC
 Lower mainland, interior and northern municipalities (ex. Vancouver, Surrey, Victoria, Kelowna,
Prince George, Fort St. John)
 Treaty First Nations
 Translink/BC Transit
 YVR & YYJ airport operators
 Port Metro Vancouver
 Greater Victoria Harbour Authority
 Consumer Protection BC
 Tourism Vancouver and Victoria
 BC Pavilion Corporation
 Seniors Advocate
 Disability Alliance of BC
 CNIB
 Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
 BC Association of Chiefs of Police

First Nations need to be consulted on ride sharing????

Also should they not also be consulting a representation of hotels, bars, restaurants, MADD (or something of that nature), downtown vancouver BIA and other major BIA's?. There are many other stakeholders that should be included in this. Chambers of commerce?

You wouldn't want too many groups arguing for this to come in.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:37 AM

You really expect the NDP to consult a BIA?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
You really expect the NDP to consult a BIA?
no, i fully expect the NDP to make sure that the study fits their narrative (like any political party would do).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
no, i fully expect the NDP to make sure that the study fits their narrative (like any political party would do).
Well it has nothing to do with how to implement ride sharing, it's how do we neuter it for the benefit of the taxi industry.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Well it has nothing to do with how to implement ride sharing, it's how do we neuter it for the benefit of the taxi industry.
Recent experience in Montreal.

Trip #1 - Arrive at airport, the Taxi drivers are trying intimate uber drivers and a staging a strike. Wait in line for 1.5 hours for a taxi (due to their strike). The taxi driver speaks marginal english, turns onto an off-ramp onto a highway, realities his mistake backs out. Thankfully it is 10:00 at night and not a lot of traffic. Gets lost getting to the Hotel. Finally gets to the hotel. Driver does not help take the bags out of the car. Around $40.

Trip #1 Return - I use Uber. Arrives as planned, driver is polite, speaks french and ok with English. Make small talk. Helps put the bags in and take them out car. Unlike the cab driver, knows where he is going, there is an uber app providing directions. Around $30.

Trip #2 - Uber both ways. Why not, the service is better and driving skills are better. Helps get the bags in, makes small talk, says thank you. The car is cleaner than the taxi. Great service.

It is time to move into the modern age. Bring Uber to Vancouver.

Lets face reality, uber's long-term goal is for a driver less car. I would say they are a few years out, but only a few years.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Recent experience in Montreal.

Trip #1 - Arrive at airport, the Taxi drivers are trying intimate uber drivers and a staging a strike. Wait in line for 1.5 hours for a taxi (due to their strike). The taxi driver speaks marginal english, turns onto an off-ramp onto a highway, realities his mistake backs out. Thankfully it is 10:00 at night and not a lot of traffic. Gets lost getting to the Hotel. Finally gets to the hotel. Driver does not help take the bags out of the car. Around $40.

Trip #1 Return - I use Uber. Arrives as planned, driver is polite, speaks french and ok with English. Make small talk. Helps put the bags in and take them out car. Unlike the cab driver, knows where he is going, there is an uber app providing directions. Around $30.

Trip #2 - Uber both ways. Why not, the service is better and driving skills are better. Helps get the bags in, makes small talk, says thank you. The car is cleaner than the taxi. Great service.

It is time to move into the modern age. Bring Uber to Vancouver.

Lets face reality, uber's long-term goal is for a driver less car. I would say they are a few years out, but only a few years.
how can someone living and working in canada not know english

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:36 AM

A better question would be how old the first driver was; the elderly (age limit changes often, currently 55+) don't need to take certain English tests that other immigrants do.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
how can someone living and working in canada not know english
You would expect French in Quebec. His french was not very good.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 8:01 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Dumb move on the NDPs part. Slowing down something which is already so late in coming to this region is only going to alienate voters, especially when rideshares are cheaper. Wasn’t the entire election about affordability? Morons ruining their opportunity.
I don't live in Vancouver anymore hence cannot feel the pain of the BC NDP in power. But dang! I still can't believe you guys still have no Uber or Lyft despite the promises. Uber (and local competitor Grab) has revolutionized public transportation here in Manila so much so the public, regardless of its relatively high costs or political leanings have embraced it so much. I have two cars (long story) but still rely so much on Uber to get around in certain circumstances.

I can only hope that Uber comes to Vancouver sometime next year...I cannot imagine life without it when I come visit.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
I don't live in Vancouver anymore hence cannot feel the pain of the BC NDP in power. But dang! I still can't believe you guys still have no Uber or Lyft despite the promises. Uber (and local competitor Grab) has revolutionized public transportation here in Manila so much so the public, regardless of its relatively high costs or political leanings have embraced it so much. I have two cars (long story) but still rely so much on Uber to get around in certain circumstances.

I can only hope that Uber comes to Vancouver sometime next year...I cannot imagine life without it when I come visit.
C'mon, you lived in Vancouver. You know how things work around here. Last to do everything, study/fear/erect roadblocks for everything and anything new that may threaten our bizarre quest to become the worlds largest mountain village. Etc Etc

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 7:48 PM

Well, I know for a fact that NDP receives donations from Taxi companies. Whither Uber and other car shares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
C'mon, you lived in Vancouver. You know how things work around here. Last to do everything, study/fear/erect roadblocks for everything and anything new that may threaten our bizarre quest to become the worlds largest mountain village. Etc Etc
I think Vancouver is trying to downsize from the status as a mountain village, but other than that, right on!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Well, I know for a fact that NDP receives donations from Taxi companies. Whither Uber and other car shares.
So do the BC Liberals. I haven't run the numbers but both parties get a heap of money from different taxi companies (and the Vancouver Taxi Association too).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:50 AM

This video describes the amounts donated by taxis to all the big BC parties.
https://youtu.be/ctBWJYjjS-E

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure