HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
A great theoretical exercise is this: would I drink this beer if it were alcohol free?

In nearly any case, my answer would be “no”.
Or there's this:

Q]: Would I pay $12-15 for a non-alcohol bubbly beverage at a bar? Or for a six pack to drink at home?

A]: Heck no!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:22 AM

Quote:
I guess that’s where I differ from you.

Even an excellent craft beer—I see no point in drinking it without the buzz, and usually I need at least 2 beers to get one.

A great theoretical exercise is this: would I drink this beer if it were alcohol free?

In nearly any case, my answer would be “no”.
Yeah, definitely a different strokes thing. But I'm a 39 year old married father of two. I never really found being drunk all that interesting to begin with - it was just something I did in social situations to not be so reserved. But since I'm a dad, and mostly don't socialize, I just have a beer or two (usually with a meal) in a night - and honestly go weeks between having any beer at all.

When I'm drinking a beer, I certainly want it to be tasty, and in particular I'd like to try something new I've never had before. I'd probably drink more beer if it had less alcohol honestly, because then I wouldn't have to worry about stopping at two so as not to worry about driving home.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:41 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Wine pairs well with lots of things.

For me, the flavor of beer pretty much goes well with only 3 things:

1. Pizza
2. Burger and fries
3. Fish and chips

And even then, without the alcohol I would probably just rather drink a soda with those meals
i know being in chicagoland you may not have had real bbq but i’d add that.

Last edited by Centropolis; Sep 24, 2018 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:17 AM

The best dining experience of my life is eating this ridiculous German chocolate cake they serve at Moody Tongue Brewery in Chicago with their Chocolate Churro Porter. No, beer does not go well with only three things. There are so many different types of beer out there now that you can basically find an excellent pairing with any food.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

I know it may sound a bit pedestrian, but I've found when I have I have steak (which I try not to more often than once every couple months or so) it goes really well with a Belgian wheat ale like Blue Moon or similar. Something with the fruity overtones or something. A medium rare steak of course. If there's not a pool of greasy blood left on your plate, you're dong it wrong. Sorry vegetarians.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i know being in chicagoland you may not have had real bbq but i’d add that.
I find Tex-Mex tastes great with beer as well.

Chinese food actually isn't bad with beer either. I'd have beer with that instead of wine. (And I have wine with a lot - most - stuff.)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:34 PM

I've posted this in another thread here some time ago, but I think beer goes really well with anything fried or salty. And Japanese beer goes well with Japanese food.

I guess it depends on the kind of beer, but I think some beers don't go well with certain desserts. I found that vanilla ice cream and skunky beers don't go well together, but that's just been my experience.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i find that everything tastes great with beer because beer is fucking delicious!

wine is fine too. it goes great with just about any kind of food as well.

Quote:
And even then, without the alcohol I would probably just rather drink a soda with those meals
soda?

that tells me everything i need to know about your taste buds.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
soda?

that tells me everything i need to know about your taste buds.
Often I'll order a soda water with a lime at a restaurant. Refreshing. As for regular soda, I will never order that. Beer or soda water.

Speaking of beer, but I've kind of evolved from a Bud Light/Keystone Light crushing beer hound in college [we were poor], to a craft beer, IPA sipping adult, back to a light lager beer drinking dude.

IPAs give me headaches the following morning now. Lately I've been enjoying a bud light, Dos Equis, Coors light, Modelo etc. Had a great Icelandic lager last week, [blue can - can't remember the name of it right now].

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I've posted this in another thread here some time ago, but I think beer goes really well with anything fried or salty. And Japanese beer goes well with Japanese food.

I guess it depends on the kind of beer, but I think some beers don't go well with certain desserts. I found that vanilla ice cream and skunky beers don't go well together, but that's just been my experience.
Why would you drink beer with dessert?

If you’re going to drink anything with ice cream it should be coffee. Personally I’m more of a cheese person anyway.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why would you drink beer with dessert?
Why not?

I sometimes will have a beer with a slice of fruit pie, or strudel. The pie a la mode thing doesn't go well with the beer, though, like I said. At least that's what I've encountered.

Coffee is good with dessert, as well as wine. Or Schnapps. Again, I guess it depends on the kind of dessert.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i had a beer float for the first time about 6 months ago.

it was a porter with vanilla ice cream. it was effing delicious.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
i had a beer float for the first time about 6 months ago.

it was a porter with vanilla ice cream. it was effing delicious.
Yeah, I figured it would have to depend on the beer; I can see a dark beer going well with ice cream. Like I said earlier, I thought the skunky beer didn't go well with ice cream.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Wine pairs well with lots of things.

For me, the flavor of beer pretty much goes well with only 3 things:

1. Pizza
2. Burger and fries
3. Fish and chips

Soda is usually too sweet with any food, unless it’s very salty French fries.

And the idea of drinking beer without the alcohol is only theoretical, because non-alcoholic beer tastes like spoiled garbage. Not only do you need the alcohol itself for the right flavor, but the process of making it is different (or there’s another step afterwards to remove the alcohol), which completely ruins the taste.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Soda is usually too sweet with any food, unless it’s very salty French fries.
and even with salty fries, beer is still your best bet, by far.

we popped into a local beer garden yesterday afternoon for a drink. we also ordered a plate of fries to keep the kiddos occupied while my wife and i enjoyed a late-summer outdoor beer. i of course snuck some of those fries from the kids as i sipped on my IPA (it was a GIANT plate of fries).

one delicious beer + a wonderful beer garden + some salty fries for snacking = the perfect way to enjoy a 30 minute break on a 2.5 mile errand walk around the neighborhood on a summer sunday afternoon.

i utterly fail to understand TUP's contention that one beer is pointless.

beer is ridiculously fucking delicious.

that is the point.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:03 PM

I will drink a lot of beer in a night. Or wine. Or good cocktails.

But the surest sign of an alcohol problem is someone drinking vodka soda. If the whole point is that it doesn’t taste of anything, then the alcohol has to be the point.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

beer is ridiculously fucking delicious.
Some beer is ridiculously fucking delicious. Despite the craft brew scene, a lot of people seem content on drinking swill.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
*Some* beer is ridiculously fucking delicious. Despite the craft brew scene, a lot of people seem content on drinking swill.
I was gonna say that but you beat me to it.

And I'm not really big on the "craft brew scene."

Don't hate me, but I have yet to have an IPA that I really like.

Just give me a Sapporo on tap or Negra Modelo on tap, or any Hefeweizen on tap and I'm good. I love chocolate stout too.

Oh, and ciders. I love those.

OK now I'm already thinking about dinner and hooch...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I will drink a lot of beer in a night. Or wine. Or good cocktails.

But the surest sign of an alcohol problem is someone drinking vodka soda. If the whole point is that it doesn’t taste of anything, then the alcohol has to be the point.
I used to drink vodka sodas back in the day with a lady at a bar/club when I was more worried about my diet and figure.

Oddly enough, my body cannot tolerate vodka at all now that I'm older. The stuff reminds me of a hand sanitizer and is revolting.

Now I just stick to beers and occasionally a glass of red wine.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I was gonna say that but you beat me to it.

And I'm not really big on the "craft brew scene."

Don't hate me, but I have yet to have an IPA that I really like.

Just give me a Sapporo on tap or Negra Modelo on tap, or any Hefeweizen on tap and I'm good. I love chocolate stout too.

Oh, and ciders. I love those.

OK now I'm already thinking about dinner and hooch...
No hate here, not an IPA fan either. Vastly overrated...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions