HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 5:15 PM

Oh that makes more sense. Construction starting next summer sounds very achievable.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 6:29 PM

Block 41

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 8:11 PM

Drawings [PDF - 78MB] and memo [PDF] to the Design Commission just went up. Going before the Design Commission for the Design Advice next week.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jul 17, 2015 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:41 AM

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:09 AM
BANNED

Whatever happened to the high rises going up in this neighborhood ?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 3:43 PM

The recession.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
The recession.

The recession is long over now. Look at all the housing we need, but we continue to get these low rises in SouthWaterfront

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:34 PM

Well, it was a majorly over simplified answer. But it made the major developers very gun shy especially at South Waterfront. They struggled on that last couple towers. They still have a hard time getting loans on buildings of that magnitude. These 5 over 1 are much easier to finance.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 9:27 PM

I'd love to see some mid-rise towers in South Waterfront --say, 10 to 15 stories, similar to what we're seeing in a few other parts of the city-- simply because it would add some diversity.

Interesting that the Prometheus renders still show ghost towers rising behind this one. I wonder how realistic that is. Clearly they are patient/have a long timeline in mind seeing how long they've owned that land and done nothing with it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I'd love to see some mid-rise towers in South Waterfront --say, 10 to 15 stories, similar to what we're seeing in a few other parts of the city-- simply because it would add some diversity.

Interesting that the Prometheus renders still show ghost towers rising behind this one. I wonder how realistic that is. Clearly they are patient/have a long timeline in mind seeing how long they've owned that land and done nothing with it.
SOWA has turned out to be a big disappointment as to the original plans

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
SOWA has turned out to be a big disappointment as to the original plans
Pretty much

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:01 AM

It's not even close to being fully built out so save your commentary for when you guys are in a nursing home please. None of us know what the future holds for the neighborhood in terms of towers and so on, but even if it pencils out as having a few 325 ft towers surrounded by a bunch of 5+1 buildings it's still a nicely done neighborhood with good access to transit, downtown, and the central east side.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
It's not even close to being fully built out so save your commentary for when you guys are in a nursing home please. None of us know what the future holds for the neighborhood in terms of towers and so on, but even if it pencils out as having a few 325 ft towers surrounded by a bunch of 5+1 buildings it's still a nicely done neighborhood with good access to transit, downtown, and the central east side.
I so agree. When I visit PDX or see pics of SoWa I'm so blown away by what's happened there in a relatively short time. I guess I'm more of a "I remember when it was a ..." type of guy than a "I'm so disappointed it's not Manhattan on the Willamette!" kind of guy.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:14 AM

Quote:

I agree. I seem to remember members of the forum (prior to the recession) were concerned that everything was going to be 300' towers. They desired variety. Who knows what will be built in the future. Hopefully, a nice mix.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
I so agree. When I visit PDX or see pics of SoWa I'm so blown away by what's happened there in a relatively short time. I guess I'm more of a "I remember when it was a ..." type of guy than a "I'm so disappointed it's not Manhattan on the Willamette!" kind of guy.

I couldn't agree more rsbear...... Yay! My 3,000 post!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I couldn't agree more rsbear...... Yay! My 3,000 post!
well theres not much land left there --hope you guys are right

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
well theres not much land left there --hope you guys are right
Not much land left?

Ummm...

Everything in pink is underutilized land and could be developed. Everything in blue is either under construction or going through the development approval process. Everything unmarked is hopefully obvious to everyone.

I think there's plenty of land left there and my map doesn't even include the Zidell or OHSU properties.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Not much land left?

Ummm...

Everything in pink is underutilized land and could be developed. Everything in blue is either under construction or going through the development approval process. Everything unmarked is hopefully obvious to everyone.

I think there's plenty of land left there and my map doesn't even include the Zidell or OHSU properties.
I was just down there and to me its not much land

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Not much land left?

Ummm...

I somehow don't see the Old Spaghetti Factory redeveloping their property anytime soon. Wonder if their business is up since it's not such a remote part of town as it used to be.

Last edited by babs; Jul 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
I somehow don't see the Old Spaghetti Factory redeveloping their property anytime soon. Wonder if their business is up since it's not such a remote part of time as it used to be.
A good question - but even when it was a remote outpost, it was still packed most nights. I was there two weeks ago and there was a 10 minute wait for a table at 7PM on a Thursday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland