HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
It's to make the front sidewalk more pedestrian friendly, it is part of the Spirit Trail ? Took some pics of it.

Apparently they recently opened the part of the Spirit Trail that is on Native Land. Where is this exactly?
Thanks for that.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
I have a contest for us North Vancouverites.

Where is this store? I Stumbled upon it. Its in a weird spot.

I blocked out the parts that would give it away.
you mean i actually have to get out of my apartment and look for that

what do we win if we guess correctly?

btw, it may help if the picture was a little bigger too.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 8:37 AM

You get some street cred ! Click on the picture, it should open nice and large.

Who the heck approved the styling of the Pier ? The script font they use for signage is right out of the 80s, the inside hallways of the 'high end' building looking like a decades old cruise ship. North Van really had something nice going with the Time Building / One Park Lane design, its too bad they didn't continue it with the Pier project.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 8:48 AM

is that near lonsdale on the way to the low road? sorry im bad with street names on the shore

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 8:51 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

i know i've passed it a few times. i just don't remember the name of the store!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 12:35 AM
See ya down under, mates

I'm still not seeing anything at the Pier development. No workers, no change to the construction since last October. What happened to "full steam" ahead (cnv mayor comment)

Seriously someone help me out here. What have they done?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 4:22 AM

if it hasnt started yet it probably isnt gonna happen for a while.

but hey, i got an interview at pier 94 tomorrow. if i get the job i'll be a regular old north shore expert. as of now i only know my way around a few small areas like lonsdale, phibbs, cap mall etc

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 6:25 PM
Perpetual I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I'm still not seeing anything at the Pier development. No workers, no change to the construction since last October. What happened to "full steam" ahead (cnv mayor comment)

Seriously someone help me out here. What have they done?
Are we talking about the same project? I go by it on the bus every afternoon and see workers there.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 11:10 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronT120 View Post
Are we talking about the same project? I go by it on the bus every afternoon and see workers there.
I finally saw something today around 1pm (looked like concrete pouring). Still extremely slow work for a hotel that the CNV mayor said would be finished before the Olympics (lol).

Workers are never there when I go to work or come home.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 1:13 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I finally saw something today around 1pm (looked like concrete pouring). Still extremely slow work for a hotel that the CNV mayor said would be finished before the Olympics (lol).

Workers are never there when I go to work or come home.
we gotta year still. its moving slowly i agree, but they're doing work on it. most of the shell of the building was up before work stopped.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
is that near lonsdale on the way to the low road? sorry im bad with street names on the shore
Its right in the core of lower lonsdale. Not where you would expect a store.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 12:13 AM
See ya down under, mates

They're doing some major digging right into Lonsdale ave now at the Pier site. Suddenly a 10 foot deep hole that wasn't there this morning.

I'm obsessed with this project for some reason.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 8:36 PM
Perpetual I.A.

I wonder when we'll hear about any possible funding for the HJ Rec Centre redevelopment.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:14 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Could you North Van forumers give me updates re the following projects? (please and thanks)

1. 36 story tower @ the foot of Lonsdale ... yes, I know the NIMBY's got this one nixed but I'm wondering if there are any rumors of it being resurrected but perhaps redesigned and/or shorter?

2. What's happening about the North Van COSTCO as I thought it was supposed to be opened by now? If it's still a go, where will it be located and when will it open?

3. What, if anything, is happening about that proposed 450,000 sq. ft. mall to be located on the Squamish band land directly east of the Real Canadian Superstore?

4. What's happening in terms of the rumor to add an additional translink ferry between Lonsdale Quay and The Sails?

5. I've read the discussion about the new Save-On-Foods being built immediately east of Cap Mall and I'm wondering will this definitely be a Save-On-Foods or will it be labelled with one of Jimmy Paterson's other food chains? (eg. Overwaitea, PriceSmart, Coopers) - reason I'm asking is if a 'new brand' was introduced then, in theory, the existing Save-On-Foods could remain open for a while.

6. With Kevin Falcon splashing mega money around on projects, like the new Port Mann Bridge and the South Fraser Perimeter Hwy., I'm wondering if there is renewed interest in a 3rd crossing for Burrard Inlet?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 4:19 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster
4. What's happening in terms of the rumor to add an additional translink ferry between Lonsdale Quay and The Sails?
this is true. the 3rd SeaBus is being built in Victoria as we speak.

you can find out more about it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152673

Quote:
6. With Kevin Falcon splashing mega money around on projects, like the new Port Mann Bridge and the South Fraser Perimeter Hwy., I'm wondering if there is renewed interest in a 3rd crossing for Burrard Inlet?
of course there will always be interest in building a 3rd crossing over the Burrard Inlet. the questions that will arise with such a project would always been when, where, and how?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:16 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post
Could you North Van forumers give me updates re the following projects? (please and thanks)

2. What's happening about the North Van COSTCO as I thought it was supposed to be opened by now? If it's still a go, where will it be located and when will it open?

3. What, if anything, is happening about that proposed 450,000 sq. ft. mall to be located on the Squamish band land directly east of the Real Canadian Superstore?

5. I've read the discussion about the new Save-On-Foods being built immediately east of Cap Mall and I'm wondering will this definitely be a Save-On-Foods or will it be labelled with one of Jimmy Paterson's other food chains? (eg. Overwaitea, PriceSmart, Coopers) - reason I'm asking is if a 'new brand' was introduced then, in theory, the existing Save-On-Foods could remain open for a while.
2. Dead. For now. I believe both North Van District and City have passed bylaws limiting box stores to 40,000 sq ft. With the average Costco around 100k-120k, don't bet on this ever happening....

3. ...Unless the Seymour mall goes ahead. Which as been talked about for close to 15 years. Home Depot had a deal with the band to build a store there....in the early 90s. With the economy in the tank, especially retail, don't bet on this one happening for another number of years.

5. It will be a Save-On. Shoppers Drug Mart will also be joining them on-site, as will Perfect Lies (relo from their existing store). I believe there is/was talks of a Signature BC Liquor store as well, but I don't think that deal is finalized yet. The Pemberton Save-On site was going to be redeveloped by Pattison but again, with the economy in the tank that is up in the air. I have no idea whether the existing Save-On will remain open, closed, or re-branded (this seems most logical now), but not much will happen with the site for a while.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:50 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post

1. 36 story tower @ the foot of Lonsdale ... yes, I know the NIMBY's got this one nixed but I'm wondering if there are any rumors of it being resurrected but perhaps redesigned and/or shorter?

1. It will be years before we see the likes of that beautiful tower design again -- if ever. The lynch mob organized by Ivan Leonard and the Lonsdale Citizens Coalition (essentially a gang of grumpy senior citizens and baby boomers) made so much noise over this that they also nearly put an end to Mayor Darrell Mussatto's career. And I'm sure the Henriquez architecture firm vows never to work on a project in the North Shore again after the way they were treated at some of the citizens forums.

2. Just in case you didn't know, the original Costco site at Norgate (again a victim of a Nimby revolt, along with a planned bus facility) was of course cancelled, so the regional government has decided to reward the folks living there by putting a sewage treatment facility there instead.

4. Yes, currently being built -- has already been spotted cruising around Burrard Inlet.

6. Mostly no. Though I heard the host of the CBC Morning show on the radio making the case for it recently.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 11:14 PM
See ya down under, mates

The Pier hotel has some windows now

Dare I say it is time for it to get its own update thread? It's a large development and almost photo-worthy at this point. I'd do it myself but I'm unsure of the protocol.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 4:39 AM
Site 8 Lives

Go for it! Just use some of the other thread titles for developments as a template. Will your photos include the high-rise hating Nimbies of North Van protesting in front?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 5:32 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Will your photos include the high-rise hating Nimbies of North Van protesting in front?
sadly gang violence doesn't target the ones we want it to eh?

....okay, that was low, even for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley