HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:39 PM
Perpetual I.A.

I find it interesting how the Ivan Leonards and Sue Cooks are screaming for the neighborhood to be cleaned up yet don't see how new development can assist in that goal.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 6:09 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^that happens anywhere. its the preservationist in them that wants to see things look the way they are, but make improvements to the way they think things should run.

i mean, we all have a bit of NIMBYism in us. we all agree something needs to be done about crime, but no one wants a prison next to the school their children goto. i can appreciate that. however, to not want new development in an area you are attempting to revitalize is absurd.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 6:18 PM
Site 8 Lives

The sidewalk improvement program next to Lonsdale Quay, in front of Cates Tugboats facility, is near completion. It is actually a nice improvement!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:12 AM
See ya down under, mates

The strip mall next to Cap mall (Capilano Centre or something?) is starting to take shape. Some framing is up. Is there a site with renders or anything?

I'm guessing a Park Royal Village type thing is too much to ask.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 8:31 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
The strip mall next to Cap mall (Capilano Centre or something?) is starting to take shape. Some framing is up. Is there a site with renders or anything?

I'm guessing a Park Royal Village type thing is too much to ask.
LOL i wouldn't want the Park Royal Village anywhere else.

there was a rendering on site until a little while ago. they took it down in January or December.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:07 PM
ON3P Skis

Imagine something similar to the Canadian Tire on Grandview Highway. Multi-level retail and parking. I don't have access to the site plans anymore unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Hey everyone, i'm doing a little project on the bus loop at Lonsdale Quay and i haven't been able to find anything on the CNV website so i was wondering if anyone here could help me out? i'm trying to find the years that the bus loop, the seabus terminal, and the ICBC building were constructed, if anyone knows?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 12:01 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

SeaBus terminal would've opened in 1977. ICBC building I believe was finished in 1986 (give or take a year), and assuming the Bus Loop has been there about as long as the SeaBus...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 2:10 AM
BANNED

^ awesome thanks a lot Distill3d!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 2:57 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro View Post
^ awesome thanks a lot Distill3d!
i'd still look into the Bus Loop if i were you. that was only an assumption LOL

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 9:16 PM
See ya down under, mates

From the north shore news:

Quote:

North Shore gets huge ports boost

The North Shore is set to receive $225 million worth of infrastructure improvements to its ports, rail and roadways in order to bolster the community's role in the Asia-Pacific Gateway.

The funding, announced Friday by Stockwell Day, federal Minister of International Trade and the Asia Pacific Gateway and Premier Gordon Campbell, will go toward five major projects aimed at enhancing the Asia-Pacific Gateway.

"Most commodities imported and exported on the North Shore are directly related to trade with the Asia-Pacific region," Day said in a statement. "Improving transportation infrastructure in this area will create jobs in the community and strengthen Canada's competitive position in international commerce."

The new partnership will see $75 million in federal funds, $62 million from the provincial government and $49.2 million from Port Metro Vancouver.

TransLink is also set to make a $5 million contribution, while the City of North Vancouver has committed $2.7 million and the District of North Vancouver $5.6 million to the project. CN Rail and CP Rail have collectively contributed $23.7 million and supporting terminal operators committed $2.5 million.

"This is an excellent example of how building for the future with sustainable growth can be realized through co-operation among all levels of government and the private sector, said Robin Silvester of Port Metro Vancouver. "As an integral part of the Asia-Pacific Gateway, the North Shore trade area will not only result in significant community and environmental benefits, it will enhance the economic development throughout the region."

According to a release provided by the provincial government, the funding will be split among five major projects:

- A $25.5-million modification of the Brooksbank underpass to accommodate several additional rail tracks necessary for port terminal expansion plans and enable increased rail capacity. Access to Harbourview Park south of the rail tracks will be protected.

- Neptune/Cargill grade separation to eliminate the existing at-grade crossing in the vicinity of Low Level Road and East Third Street in the City of North Vancouver that provides access to the Neptune and Cargill terminals. The $48.3-million project is intended to facilitate rail movements, reduce rail whistle noise and improve road access for workers and emergency services.

- Realignment of Low Level Road, which would realign and elevate the existing Low Level Road to accommodate two new rail tracks essential to port expansion. The 1.5-kilometre, $59.2-million project will address drainage and slope stability issues, reduce train-switching noise, and provide separation between road and rail corridors to improve road safety and security. The realignment should also facilitate construction of the North Shore Spirit Trail.

- A $42.7-million Pemberton Avenue grade separation to provide an overpass across the CN rail line, replacing the existing Pemberton Avenue and Phillip Avenue at-grade crossings. The project should provide traffic relief to a projected 6,500 vehicles per day by 2021. The move should also reduce noise pollution in the local community while allowing the CNR to operate longer trains. Road connections to industries lying south of the rail tracks will also be improved.

- Extension of the lower level route to Marine Drive at an estimated cost of $86.8 million, though only $50 million has been confirmed. Extension of the lower level route from Garden Avenue to Marine Drive near Park Royal Shopping Centre in the District of West Vancouver should provide a two-lane road, including a new bridge over the Capilano River. The project should provide significant traffic relief to the Marine Drive approach to the Lions Gate Bridge.

Some of the projects announced, particularly expansion of the Lower Level Road, were top priorities identified by business leaders at the North Shore Economic Summit organized by the North Shore Chamber of Commerce in February.

At the time, chamber president Naomi Yamamoto called for improvements to transportation infrastructure to better the links between North and West Vancouver and provide jobs in the dwindling economy.

According to government documents, the North Shore handled more than 35 per cent of the cargo coming through the Port of Vancouver in 2007. The cargo was valued at more than $7.7 billion. The same document states North Shore terminals generate an estimated 12,300 jobs in the province, earning more than $600 million in wages each year.
http://www2.canada.com/northshorenew...48c1941824&p=1

Is this going to affect the road through the reservation at all? I'd assume so if there's going to be a new bridge over the Capliano. I drive that road to get anywhere and that intersection in the reserve is the only thing stopping it from being a super fast route.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 9:26 PM

I doubt it, I hate that intersection with a passion but I don't think I've ever seen a truck there.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 9:41 PM

wow, a new bridge across the cap river would be awesome. anyone know where it would begin and end though? it is below the cap river bridge for sure, but if it's below the park royal access bridge from the native reserve, then where does it go? they'll have to remove those motor homes or something...

maybe i just don't understand where exactly this new road is going?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 1:59 AM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:41 AM
Site 8 Lives

Seems to be this has been under-reported -- outside of the community papers. We are talking about a potential highway running across the North Shore.

Gateway North, anyone?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:49 AM

No. These are mostly rail grade-separation projects.

The Capilano bridge project is an extension of the arterial road that services the port. It doesn't do anything for the port, though, because the port is accessed from the east. I think it should be considered separately as a regular municipal arterial route.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 3:50 AM
See ya down under, mates

I want a gateway north. Actually it still sounds pretty good after reading that pdf - it'll be a real Low Level road extension through the reserve. Definitely not just roads for the ports. Still wondering exactly where it'll join Marine in West Van though. Squeeze between HomeSense and the fields?

PS On a related North Shore note, I finally created a thread for the Pier development: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...48#post4170248

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 5:43 AM
Van City

West Vancouver's new tourist attraction?

Sorry didn't know where to post this... but has anyone else heard of this?!

WV to get Rushmore-like sculpture

'Premier attraction' set for Eagleridge

James Weldon, North Shore News
Published: Wednesday, April 01, 2009

WEST Vancouver could soon be a major tourist destination if a tentative plan by the province to create an imposing public artwork on an exposed rock face at Eagleridge Bluffs goes ahead.

The project would see an 11-storey "Spirit Sculpture," broadly modelled after South Dakota's Mount Rushmore, appear on the mountainside above the new Hwy. 99 connector near Horseshoe Bay.

Planners with the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Arts tabled a final draft of the proposal at a closed-door meeting earlier this month, according to documents obtained by the North Shore News.

The idea is to create construction jobs in the short term and to draw tourism dollars to the region on a permanent basis. "The aim here is to enhance the North Shore's natural beauty," said a ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity. "It's hard to imagine a better way to do that than through sculpture."

While details have not been finalized, the leading proposal envisions a series of four large granite busts arranged side-by-side across a 140-metre stretch of mountainside, carved in the likeness of notable provincial premiers.

The project's cost has been pegged at $100 million, and is expected to balloon from there. The money will come from infrastructure funds released recently by the province as part of its economic stimulus package. While giant granite faces are not traditionally considered infrastructure, the Ministry of Finance was willing to make an exception.

"It's not important whether it's useful or not," said the spokesman. "What's important is it's shovel-ready."

Behind the scenes lobbying by VANOC and Tourism Vancouver on behalf of the regional attraction has resulted in the City of Vancouver once again guaranteeing to cover any cost overrun.

By short-cutting the usual environmental approvals and community consultations, the government expects to be able to start work as early as this spring -- before the final four subjects have been selected.

It appears planners are leaning away from historical figures, such as founding premier John Foster McCreight, due to their relative obscurity.

"With all due respect, this isn't a monument to nobodies," said the official. "And then we've had some real wack jobs running British Columbia over the years."

Consequently, the contenders are contemporary leaders of renown. Glen Clark, Ujjal Dosanjh and the current premier, Gordon Campbell, make up the tentative shortlist.

Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon was apparently considered for inclusion because of his championing of the Eagleridge connector and the location of the sculpture. According to the official, Falcon was ultimately dropped because "he's not technically a premier."

The province's dearth of recognizable leaders may explain the draft drawing that sees Gordon Campbell pencilled in twice in order to "balance" the inclusion of two NDP premiers.

"That's certainly the plan favoured by the administration," said the official. "Designers are thinking one in profile and one head-on, similar to a mugshot."
When the project was first proposed, planners had tabled a number of non-human alternatives. A plan to depict a wild salmon was dropped for fear of protestors defacing the sculpture by adding lice, and the idea of creating an orca was discarded when it was found VANOC held the copyright on marine mammals.

A spokeswoman for the organizing committee, speaking off the record, suggested they might be able to get money out of it anyway. "I won't bore you with the legal complexities, but essentially we've patented mountains," she said.

In response to concerns around the esthetic impacts of the project, the provincial official pointed to the work underway on the Hwy. 99 connector. "Let's be honest," he said. "It can't get any worse."

The monument, already being touted as "West Vancouver's premier attraction," is slated for completion one year from today: April 1, 2010.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 5:55 AM

"Designers are thinking one in profile and one head-on, similar to a mugshot."

Lol.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 6:25 AM

Sounds rather April Foolish to me .

Did anyone see the 24 Today, with the announcement of a study that the Inukshuk along English Bay was leaching arsenic, with the scientist calling for tearing it down and cordoning off the area until Apr 1 2010. Ingenious April Fools at its best, managing to poke fun at The Olympic Games, Vancouver's "green" image, and even the adoption of First Nations symbols for mass consumption all at the same time.

Very well done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley