HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:22 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Calgary - Canada's third-safest "big city"?

MacLeans survey on 2006 crime statistics.

Unfortuantely this is based on cities, not metro areas. The only cities that ranked below Calgary were Ottawa and Quebec City, but there are several "regions" which I suspect border Toronto and Montreal. Would be interesting to see how mixing those with the city proper works out.

Anyway, fodder for flamewars I'm sure - but mostly it's refreshing to see that the scary news stories about Calgary being full of crime are just that - stories.

Oh yeah, usual disclaimer, most crimes aren't reported, blah blah blah. Until I see a study that shows otherwise, I'd assume this non-reporting happens everywhere with similar frequency.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:32 PM
HVAC guru

Debating the safety of Canadian cities is pointless in general I think.

Cities have crime, and always will. Asside for a couple of unfortunate shooting incidents in Toronto, there's really not al that much that would differentiate one city from another with regards to crime & safety.

Also remember that perception is everything when you're talking personal safety.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:35 PM

What? How dare you call Calgary a big city? Don't you know that only Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are allowed to call themselves that? Besides, on "calgarysucks.com", it said crime here is increasing!

Just kidding, of course. The trolling on that other thread has really pissed me off. Sorry.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:52 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
What? How dare you call Calgary a big city? Don't you know that only Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are allowed to call themselves that? Besides, on "calgarysucks.com", it said crime here is increasing!

Just kidding, of course. The trolling on that other thread has really pissed me off. Sorry.

I know how you feel.

Calgary is a relatively safe city, but then again so are all canadian cities.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 8:05 PM
Closed account

If we're looking at only cities, I think the prize goes to York Region. Durham, Halton, Peel, Waterloo and Niagara all ranked below Ottawa as well.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 8:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
If we're looking at only cities, I think the prize goes to York Region. Durham, Halton, Peel, Waterloo and Niagara all ranked below Ottawa as well.
Yeah - which is why I said it'd be nice to see an actual comparison based on metro areas.

It's not like your crime rate suddenly goes down if you cross some arbitrary street designation in Toronto - well, unless you never actually venture outside of your "city" I guess.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 10:17 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Most cities of the world are safe provided you are not a member of a gang or participant in the drug or sex trade.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Getting municipal stats is VERY important and relevant for criminologists and for the general public- this is one area where CMA stats are less valuable and tell less of a story. I'm thrilled to find this link,thanks!!!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Getting municipal stats is VERY important and relevant for criminologists and for the general public- this is one area where CMA stats are less valuable and tell less of a story. I'm thrilled to find this link,thanks!!!
Well, they're useful, but they're only useful in the same sense that neighbourhood stats would be useful (and they are, just ask insurance companies).

They don't tell a picture of what it's actually like to live in a city. Sure, your local area may seem to have low crime, because you're 20 feet away from a municipal boundary, but people tend to venture throughout their metro areas from time to time. I can tell you from experience that moving between cities, and seeing a car theft rate literally 1/3 of what it was previously - you notice the difference. The stat only has meaning in the area it covers, though, and I don't know many people who don't ever drive their cars outside of their local region. Then again, breaking it down like this does tend to show which local areas to avoid parking your car.

Granularity can make any statistics lie in your favour.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 11:23 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Don't you know that only Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are allowed to call themselves that?

You forgot Peel

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 11:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
You forgot Peel
And "Halton Regional", and "York Regional", whatever those are. Well, beyond big dynamic cities. Do they have their own construction threads here on SSP?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:24 AM
Still optimistic

That "Calgary Sucks" site is stupid (StOOpiD).
The reasons they present are childish and absurd.

I can come up with better critics for any given city in my sleep.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Most cities of the world are safe provided you are not a member of a gang or participant in the drug or sex trade.
Yup. In Calgary I think that if you can limit your visits to a (very) few places and avoid them at night altogether, coupled with maintaining a mild alertness to your surroundings, you've done all you can reasonably do to remain safe. If something happens to you, you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. And this is coming from someone who has been mugged and assaulted (to a small degree) in Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:14 AM
Majestic

Just be smart when you are near the Cecil, especially after dark, and you should be fine.

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:50 AM
of Canada

Looks like Winnipeg is Canada's third most dangerous city:

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...maclean-s.aspx
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:51 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Do they have their own construction threads here on SSP?
That'd be a yes for Peel

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 5:07 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Looks like Winnipeg is Canada's third most dangerous city:

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...maclean-s.aspx
Oh please

All these surveys accomplish is to continue demonizing cities like Winnipeg while glorifing others like Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. I don't feel any less safe in Winnipeg than I do in Calgary or Edmonton.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy