HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:43 PM

I really LOVE the design of this project. It's designed to be complementary to the other historic and historic recreations in St. George, but I could see designs like this doing very well in lots of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
[CENTER]Downtown St. George Apartments & Boutique Hotel - City View Project by PEG Development

[B]Renderings of the mixed-use development proposed for downtown St. George at Main Street and St. George Boulevard | Image courtesy of Peg Development, St. George News

[

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:12 PM

Very much agree Stenar. I would love to see some variations of that throughout Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:55 PM

I actually moved to the St George area about a month ago so I'm trying to get caught up on the development going on down here. The area is growing like crazy from a residential perspective and I'm hoping that continues to lead to more commercial and urban development as well. A few thoughts:

I too love the PEG development on Main. I drive by that lot everyday on my way to work and think about how great it would be for the area. There is another large (by st George standards, 4 stories I think) office and retail building on the other side of main that looks like it was completed in the last few years. I would love for the 'downtown' area to fill in with this type of development, both multifamily and commercial.

Unfortunately, I read in the local paper that apartment projects in the area have been having a hard time securing funding. I think they were partially talking about the PEG development so I hope that it still is able to happen.

One of the larger developments going on is a major expansion of the Intermountain Hospital. I'm not sure what all was there before and what is new but it appears there are multiple new buildings going up. I'll try to get some pictures at some point.

In the Dinosaur Crossings area, which is south east of the downtown area there is a new Smith's Marketplace anchored shopping center going it. Just down the road there is a new Lin's Grocery store (associated). I know there are a couple apartment developments proposed or that area as well.

There are a couple new hotels going in on the south end of town by the conference center.

So much of the residential growth is going in on the south end. Areas like Bloomington Hills and Little Valley. Just like everywhere else it is sprawl. I think of it as the Eagle Mountain of St George.

Highway 7,which is the furthest south freeway exit in St George (also called Southern Parkway), is the road that leads out to the new airport. This road in some parts feels like a freeway and has 3 or 4 full interchanges. It's interesting to drive on because there is no development around most of it but you can tell that it is all master planned to be filled in one day. At least they are preparing of the growth. The road is kind of a belt route around the south east side of town.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:01 PM

For the first time in my life I'm not a resident of Davis County. I'm not changing my moniker though, WCRes doesn't have the same ring to it

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:46 PM

DCRes, Verrry cool that we now have a hands on active forumer down there in St. George. I'm looking forward to seeing your future development pics!

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:28 AM
BANNED

http://kutv.com/news/local/st-george...-than-expected

Awesome to see the St. George Regional Airport growing. I do hope they add an actual food option post security in the terminal. I can also see them getting a nonstop flight to either San Francisco or Los Angeles within the next year or two. I can see the airlines taking a bigger shot on St. George now that they now passengers want to use it and seeing the rising passenger numbers.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post

Awesome to see the St. George Regional Airport growing. I do hope they add an actual food option post security in the terminal. I can also see them getting a nonstop flight to either San Francisco or Los Angeles within the next year or two. I can see the airlines taking a bigger shot on St. George now that they now passengers want to use it and seeing the rising passenger numbers.

That is great news, and I'm not surprised. Thanks for posting it San Diego-Honolulu. If the U.S. economy continues to correct itself, I imagine the perennial St. George boom will be even larger than ever this time around. I would not be surprised if in our lifetime St. George MSA will become as large as the Ogden/Layton or Provo/Orem MSA. That's one MSA in Utah that has the potential to explode in growth in a similar way as has been seen in certain towns in Arizona and So. Calif. over the past few decades.

St. George airport near capacity, expansion needed sooner than expected

Last edited by delts145; May 11, 2017 at 12:27 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:31 PM

My Place announces St. George expansion

The Spectrum and Daily News
http://www.thespectrum.com/story/new...ion/100621302/

Southern Utah's burgeoning tourism industry will soon have another hotel to accommodate visitors to Zion National Park and the area's other natural wonders.

My Place Hotels of America will continue its U.S. expansion with its third extended stay hotel in Utah, a four-story building to be located on the northwest corner of 1670 South and 270 East near Culver's in St. George, according to a company news release Tuesday. The 63-room hotel, which will feature a first-of-a-kind exterior design with a southwestern color palette, is scheduled to open by November...

(Photo: My Place Hotels)

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:09 PM

I believe this fits best here,
SUU breaks ground on new business building

Quote:
Southern Utah University broke ground for its new 42,000-square-foot business Thursday.

But the start of the construction for the long anticipated $16 million project wouldn’t have been possible without the help of the community – both in Cedar City and throughout the entire state.
http://www.thespectrum.com/story/new...ing/100997216/

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:23 PM

This student housing project is going up about a block north of DSU campus

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

The Tabernacle is getting a rehab

And the sign is up for the My Place hotel, near the convention center

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:20 AM

Exterior lighting tests begin.

May 17, 2017 Courtesy of Blaine Cox @ http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/cedarcity/construction/

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:43 PM

Nice to see all the campus housing downtown. They went a long time without anything new but that will be the second new one in the last year or so. Campus View Suites just recently completed I believe - http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...us-View-Suites

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 3:40 PM

Another new student housing project in the works near Dixie State. As mentioned above, there hadn't been any new student housing built for a long time and this is now the third one in the past few years.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/arc.../#.WTGFf02GMkI

New student housing on Tabernacle Street

Quote:
A proposed student housing development is slated to take over roughly two-thirds of the block on Tabernacle Street between 600 East and University Avenue (also known as 700 East). The project is composed of two large complexes – one standing at five stories and the other at four stories – and is planned to contain 113 units that will house over 400 students who will be attending nearby Dixie State University.

The project, called “605 Place” for the time being, will cover an area currently occupied by the Sunburst Shopping Center, a handful of smaller buildings formerly used by Dixie State and some homes. With the exception of Cameo Florist, which sits on the corner of Tabernacle Street and University Avenue (700 East), the remaining area will be demolished.

Businesses along the St. George Boulevard side of the block are not a part of the new development.

The new student housing project is the third to appear within the last two years. In order to accommodate growing student housing needs, Dixie State University built the Campus View Suites that opened last fall.

A second housing project located at 850 E. Tabernacle St., the 256-room The Vintage at Tabernacle, is well underway in construction and slated to be completed sometime in August.

Dixie State welcomed its largest freshman class to date in fall 2016 with 2,300 registered newcomers for the fall semester.

The University anticipates attendance in fall 2017 may rise by an additional 500-800 students, Mayor Jon Pike said.

Last edited by DCRes; Jun 2, 2017 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:12 PM
BANNED

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/arc.../#.WTrIL7FMGhA

Yes! Nonstop to Los Angeles on SkyWest operated by United Express on behalf of United Airlines. The flight begins in September.

The airport already has nonstop flights to Salt Lake City, Denver, and Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 4:28 PM

Dixie Regional Medical Center's $300M consolidation and expansion

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1176&sid=45011553

Quote:
The largest construction project in Washington County history is taking shape and changing the skyline of St. George.

The project will consolidate two campuses and include a three-story cancer center.

"It will double the size of our hospital 500,000 square feet in addition to the existing 500,000 square feet. So, we will have a million square feet in hospital when we're finished," said Steven Caplin, chairman of the governing board of Intermountain Healthcare's Dixie Regional Medical Center.

The growth of southern Utah is the driving force for these changes.

"The community is growing in size, but the needs are growing as well. We have a large senior population and we have large families as well," Caplin said.

The newly expanded campus will include women and newborn services, trauma care, neurosurgery and cardiovascular services.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:00 PM

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/wp-conte...ter-park-2.jpg

http://stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive.../#.WWj4logrIuX

Quote:
A new water park that includes “extreme slides” and a large wave pool in the planning stages for construction was recommended for approval by the St. George Planning Commission Tuesday.

“Splash City Adventure Water Park” is planned to be built in the Middleton area of St. George at approximately 2200 East Middleton Drive just west of Interstate 15 Exit 10.

The park is themed after tropical island destinations with influences from Caribbean and Polynesian locations set along the red rock backdrop of surrounding hillsides.

“Guests will have the feeling of being in a land that is unlike anything they have experienced before,” according to a narrative about the water park by developer Red Cliffs Development and Investments.

Features include waterslides, a 900-foot-long “Lazy River,” a surfing-capable wave pool and play areas for children all surrounded by shaded cabanas.

While the water features are planned to be opened on a seasonal basis, the developer is also seeking permit to construct a 22,179-square-foot “Family Entertainment Center” to be opened year-round on the property that includes a large arcade room, trampoline area and indoor surf machines.

The property is already zoned for commercial use but still requires the approval of a conditional use permit from the St. George City Council for both the 73-foot-tall waterslide tower and entertainment facility.

The section of Middleton Drive that goes through the property also needs to be relinquished by the Utah Department of Transportation before the application for permit can be presented to the City Council.

If approved water for the park’s features will be supplied from the city’s culinary, or drinking, water system, Marc Mortensen, St. George assistant to the city manager, told St. George News, adding that the park would also employ a method of water recycling.

Mortensen said he expects the water park’s conditional use permits to be considered for approval at a City Council meeting at St. George City Hall within the next three to four weeks.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:09 PM

They should of bought the hill side too and built some slides down that.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
They should of bought the hill side too and built some slides down that.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:05 PM

^^^
Good to see this water park being planned. St. George really needed something like this for the community. I'll bet that it will be too popular from the get go, and they'll have to do an expansion follow up in the near future.

Looks like the LDS Church is wrapping up construction on the Cedar City Temple. I'm glad they chose this historic design. Turned out very attractive.

July 14th - Courtesy of Blaine Cox

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:56 PM

I've long thought that St George needed a water park. There are so many families that vacation there to get away from the northern Utah cold, plus all the sports tournaments, that I think it will do really well. I know that a water park is proposed on the very south end of town as well in the Desert Colors development. I think this is a better location though, in the heart of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West