HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The NBL does (did) have plans to expand to the west. The problem is travel costs for teams to play. Even as it is now, there are only two interlocking games per year between Maritime based and central division teams.

The NBL does have Canadian player quotas, and they have been becoming more stringent each year.

I think this new league is most unfortunate. Canada doesn't need two basketball leagues. This move will only ensure mutual failure unless there is an eventual amalgamation of the two leagues.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:40 PM
ハルウララ

NBL already has a team in Niagara so i'm wondering if the Niagara NBL team is switching to CEBL. Going to be some weird territory crossover in Ontario between CEBL, NBL, and G-League.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 12:28 AM

Looks like the Raps are getting swept

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 12:29 AM

Get Drake out there lords know he thinks he's part of the starting lineup!!

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:40 AM

Couldn't be any worse than the rest of them. Team is embarrassingly bad in the playoffs.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:05 AM

What did you expect? The NBA play-offs go like clockwork.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:11 AM

I don't know if Ive ever been this embarrased about a Toronto sports Team before. Ya the Leafs lost to a divisional rival again, but at least it was somewhat competitive and the Team is still Young. This is something else. Iäve never seen a Team so mentally weak that they can let someone get in their head this bad. Indiana just became a fringe Playoff Team this year and they put up a fight that makes us look like like a goddamn G league Team. Absolutely pathetic. And the worst part is their is no quick solution. You can't just replace a core that youve grown over 5+ years.

Fuck my life

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:20 AM
Registered Drug User

Jesus fucking Christ.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The NBL does (did) have plans to expand to the west. The problem is travel costs for teams to play. Even as it is now, there are only two interlocking games per year between Maritime based and central division teams.

The NBL does have Canadian player quotas, and they have been becoming more stringent each year.

I think this new league is most unfortunate. Canada doesn't need two basketball leagues. This move will only ensure mutual failure unless there is an eventual amalgamation of the two leagues.
What plans did the NBLC have to expand west, i.e., to what cities?

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:36 AM

You have to wonder what's next for the Raptors. Likely swept by Cleveland again, but what can we expect from a team that can't or won't play defence, can't shoot consistently from distance, and won't continue a strategy that worked well for three quarters Monday, that is, pushing the ball inside against a team that's weak defensively and has no rim protection.

I have to believe Ibaka is gone next season, he's been invisible in the playoffs. Unless he's playing with an undisclosed injury, there's no excuse. Miles and Powell also big busts this year.

I's the same old story....in addition to the above criticisms, they give up far too many unforced turnovers and consistently miss shots in close. The only bright spot in this series has been Anunoby. Little or no leadership from the veterans. I do not consider myself a fair-weather fan...but what I saw tonight, and less so on Monday was an embarrassment.

Do you blow up the team and start over? If not, then what?

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
What plans did the NBLC have to expand west, i.e., to what cities?
Job one was to stabilize the Central and Maritime divisions of the league.

Job two was to expand to the west. The plan was to have (at some point) new divisions in BC and in the Prairies. Any plans were purely speculative or formative, and would require enough new teams entering the league all at once to allow inter-city competition without excessive travel.

With the new league, I think any plans for western expansion will be put on hold. I think for both leagues to survive, there will have to be an eventual merger......

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Job one was to stabilize the Central and Maritime divisions of the league.

Job two was to expand to the west. The plan was to have (at some point) new divisions in BC and in the Prairies. Any plans were purely speculative or formative, and would require enough new teams entering the league all at once to allow inter-city competition without excessive travel.

With the new league, I think any plans for western expansion will be put on hold. I think for both leagues to survive, there will have to be an eventual merger......
Interesting. I think it could work with 4-6 teams playing on the prairies. Teams in BC would necessitate air travel, I would think. Maybe Prairie and Mountain divisions to complement the Central and Maritime divisions? Could a 20-24 team nationwide league work?

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You have to wonder what's next for the Raptors. Likely swept by Cleveland again, but what can we expect from a team that can't or won't play defence, can't shoot consistently from distance, and won't continue a strategy that worked well for three quarters Monday, that is, pushing the ball inside against a team that's weak defensively and has no rim protection.

I have to believe Ibaka is gone next season, he's been invisible in the playoffs. Unless he's playing with an undisclosed injury, there's no excuse. Miles and Powell also big busts this year.

I's the same old story....in addition to the above criticisms, they give up far too many unforced turnovers and consistently miss shots in close. The only bright spot in this series has been Anunoby. Little or no leadership from the veterans. I do not consider myself a fair-weather fan...but what I saw tonight, and less so on Monday was an embarrassment.

Do you blow up the team and start over? If not, then what?
One good thing is I believe they have the youngest roster in playoffs, I could be wrong about that.

I've admittedly become a fair-weather fan in the Lowry/DeRozan era. Season after season watching them implode in the playoffs, and just be a general embarrassment, has done it for me. I didn't watch a single regular season this year and I wish I just ignored them this playoffs before the inevitable happened.

It's funny how they marketed this playoffs around how they don't get any respect from the media south of he border. Found that cringe worthy from the start because they havent done a damn thing to earn respect. They're regular season warriors, that's it.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 12:43 PM

The Raptors are becoming the Washington Capitals of the NBA.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 12:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Could a 20-24 team nationwide league work?
A Canadian National basketball league with 20-24 teams could certainly work, but only if there is a single league. If this new western league gets off the ground, there will have to be an eventual merger with the NBL to allow for future success.

There should be pan-Canadian leagues for soccer and basketball, just like the CFL (for gridiron football).

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:56 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
One good thing is I believe they have the youngest roster in playoffs, I could be wrong about that.
The Raptors do have a relatively young team, but both Boston and Philly are younger (check here), and at least so far, better in this 2nd round of the playoffs.

This season really has been the Raptors best chance at breaking out of the East. With Philly on the rise, Boston stung by injuries, and the Cavs being (seemingly) unorganized (until now), this looked like Toronto's best shot to reach the next level. After last night's debacle, I'm not so sure of that any more.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:15 PM

I still have hope...

But...

If this Raps series ends up as a dumpster fire you will have to get rid of the coach. Cavs slapping of Toronto comes down to matchups and mentality all which stem from the Coach. Cavs are toying with Raps inability to attack their weaknesses and Raps just seem to fold when the Cavs start to lay it on them.

When Raps got into a hole why were we not pushing our offensive lineup to get into the game? If Cavs wanted to run up the score then get into a barnburner to force the Cavs to waste energy keeping us out of the game. Instead, they let the Cavs dictate pace to the point Lebron used to as a practice session to try out new moves. I read a piece about how Lebron - purposely - chose to continue to take his post fadeaway jumpers as a means to troll. The post fadeaway jumper is one of the most difficult shots in basketball and Lebron kept taking them daring Toronto to stop him and they didn't.

Lebron has always had a gripe with Toronto even back to his Cavs I days when he had some hostile games here. I would not say it is personal but there is indeed a different energy he is bringing that isn't the urgent life support energy he expedient in the first round versus Indiana. The Pacers made Lebron go 100% to put the team on his back to bail them out (he more or less one that series by himself). This time around Lebron seems to be literally using his energy to pound the Raps into the ground.

I hope that getting away from home can make the Cavs a bit more clear headed. Game 3 will be more of a test because if they can get 2 wins in Cleveland then it heals past mistakes.

If we can't pull it off then Casey must go. The players are more or less stagnant as we are locked into some bad contracts with Lowry and Ibaka. The obvious move would be to promote Stackhouse who has experience with our young core and has done an excellent job with the 905. This would bring continuity but provide a different voice and approach.

This is now up there in the top 5 for the dark moments of the franchise though. Past two games have been brutal. This sets up a fairy tale redemption story though if they can muscle out two games in Cleveland. I have hope.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 5:34 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I've admittedly become a fair-weather fan in the Lowry/DeRozan era. Season after season watching them implode in the playoffs, and just be a general embarrassment, has done it for me. I didn't watch a single regular season this year and I wish I just ignored them this playoffs before the inevitable happened.

You did it backwards! They were actually a really fun (and good) team to watch in the regular season, and even in their first few games against Washington. Since then, it looks like they've just been settling back into their old playoff selves. Glad I skipped last night's game.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 6:48 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Game 3 will be more of a test because if they can get 2 wins in Cleveland then it heals past mistakes.
If they get two wins in Cleveland then I expect to see a cure-all for cancer, the end of the Trump presidency, an end to all war, and the second coming of our Lord and Saviour as prophesied in the Book of Revelation.

But even so, if by some miraculous turn of events they get two wins in Cleveland, I would fully expect them to be the last two wins of the season.

To say this has been a disappointment, a meltdown of epic proportions, is to understate what it means to be a fan invested in a team that you've grown to love. Sure, it's just a game, and they're just millionaires bouncing a ball, but even millionaires have feelings.

The arc of the narrative these past few years has been ever upward toward greater things, each year an improvement over the last. In a city and province starved for sporting success, the Raptors represented boundless hope and enthusiasm for a greater day to come. Then FC won the footie championship last year, and the Leafs got good this year, and all of a sudden it seemed like great things were on the horizon.

So this hurts. Does it salve the wound that it has been the second-best player of all time who has stymied this team the past few years? In retrospect, it might. Still, this playoff performance anxiety is like a nightmare you can't wake up from. Like an addiction you can't shake.

Probably the only thing to do is to lance the wound. Blow the damn thing up, as much as for the catharsis as for anything else. DeRozan and Lowry, gone. Try to get a veteran upper tier player (Paul George?) who won't melt in the postseason, and focus on maturing this terrific cast of younger players.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The Raptors are becoming the Washington Capitals of the NBA.
I misread what you wrote, I first thought you meant the Washington Generals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada