HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:55 PM

Richardson is almost perfect as is, no need to go spending money recladding it. A wash and seal with a brightening sealer might rejuvenate the concrete, as well as doing something at street level (replace the louvered panels on the 2nd floor with something more pleasing) and something to make the ground level more inviting - it needs the entrance doors dressed up or something. Eventually windows will be replaced and it would be nice to see the right material and glazing used at that time.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ha. I remember stumbling upon the CBS Building while in NYC (I recall seeing it from MoMA) and being stunned by the resemblance to the Richardson.

Interesting find. I do have to say I prefer the top area of the Richardson Building to that of the CBS Building.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 1:32 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
It is our first skyscraper, but it isn't exactly heritage worthy, in my opinion.

Nothing against the Richardsons or any wealthy Manitobans, but I don't know why they're worshipped. Can't we just start making fun of them like the Aspers?
The Richardson family in this town goes back to the 1800s, having to do with the grain trade.

James Richardson founded Western Canadian Airways in 1926, renamed to Canadian Airways, forerunner to TransCanada Airlines which became Air Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...ns_to_aviation

A friend of mine says she worked for Air Canada starting in 1978 at the Richardson Building, before the Air Canada Centre was built in '85.

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 28, 2017 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Richardson is almost perfect as is, no need to go spending money recladding it. A wash and seal with a brightening sealer might rejuvenate the concrete, as well as doing something at street level (replace the louvered panels on the 2nd floor with something more pleasing) and something to make the ground level more inviting - it needs the entrance doors dressed up or something. Eventually windows will be replaced and it would be nice to see the right material and glazing used at that time.
Nothing can nor will be changed on the richardson. Putting a new skin on it would involve cutting into the conrete exterior, and that's infinitely more bitchy to deal with than a curtain wall replacement. While I find nothing of note about its appearance, it seems well built and structures like it exists in larger downtowns... if they don't need a re-skin, why would a Winnipeg version of it require one?

360 Main, while it could have gone on longer, was more weary looking before the replacement of the curtain wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
The Richardson family in this town goes back to the 1800s, having to do with the grain trade.

James Richardson founded Western Canadian Airways in 1926, renamed to Canadian Airways, forerunner to TransCanada Airlines which became Air Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...ns_to_aviation

A friend of mine says she worked for Air Canada starting in 1978 at the Richardson Building, before the Air Canada Centre was built in '85.
They are no doubt a Winnipeg institution, and I think highly of what they've accomplished. Just saying they seem kinda worshipped in Manitoba... and Winnipeggers generally don't worship wealthy people.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
They are no doubt a Winnipeg institution, and I think highly of what they've accomplished. Just saying they seem kinda worshipped in Manitoba... and Winnipeggers generally don't worship wealthy people.
Are they worshiped or simply respected?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Well respected in business & community for sure. Where as the Aspers seemingly tried to put their names on everything, from what I've heard the Richardsons traditionally liked to be anonymous in their support & donations to projects & groups. At some point you started to see them be more public but still no where near the levels of the Aspers.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:24 PM

The reason why the Richardsons seem more "respected" or whatever you want to call it, is that they're very private – both the family and the company itself. There's almost nothing online even about the company... Less to say good/bad about. Aspers are/were much more "out and about" and more directly involved in the community. Say what you will, but I think that's a good thing, but of course it opens you up to the haters more as well. But they don't seem too bothered by that.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:38 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
You mean by local politicians? Given the renaming of Stevenson Field to the James Armstrong Richardson Airport, I'd go with terms more commonly associated with prostitution.

Sure, given James Richardson's role in early Canadian aviation, he's absolutely worthy of having the airport named after him. But then so was Manitoba aviator and pioneer bush pilot, Captain Fred Stevenson. Removing his name was just crass and sleazy.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
You mean by local politicians? Given the renaming of Stevenson Field to the James Armstrong Richardson Airport, I'd go with terms more commonly associated with prostitution.

Sure, given James Richardson's role in early Canadian aviation, he's absolutely worthy of having the airport named after him. But then so was Manitoba aviator and pioneer bush pilot, Captain Fred Stevenson. Removing his name was just crass and sleazy.
Stevenson field wasn't renamed James Armstrong Richardson Airport. It was renamed the Winnipeg International Airport, in 1958 (at request of the department of transport).

The James Richardson Name wasn't added for almost 50 years after WAA was formed and took over control of the airport.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:26 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
It was renamed the Winnipeg International Airport, in 1958 (at request of the department of transport).
Officially. But it was still commonly referred to as Stevenson Field.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:30 PM

It always struck me as a little weird that our airport went from being named after an aviation pioneer, to a generic geographic designation, to being named after another aviation pioneer.

I think it's unfortunate that Fred Stevenson's legacy is overlooked in all of this... I don't know why WAA didn't attempt to honour both men, with a designation like the Richardson Terminal at Stevenson Airport or something like that.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 9:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the feds wanted to name our airport after Diefenbaker not that long ago.....

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 2:55 PM

I noticed garage style roll-down doors were installed at the far north end of Winnipeg Square right before you head down to where the Scotia Bank is. Noticed them about a week or so ago, but not sure when they were put in. I'm 99% sure these are new or I've been completed oblivious to them for years...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 1:39 AM

I am sorry. I thought this was the WINNIPEG SQUARE PAGE, 300 Main. 360 Main etc. I HAD NO IDEA this has morphed into THE AIRPORT PAGE!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
Interesting find. I do have to say I prefer the top area of the Richardson Building to that of the CBS Building.
There is a definite resemblance. Given the time it was built..1967 thru 1969 (Richardson) and size of our city, The New York CBS building is only a few floors taller and about 20% larger in overall leaseable space. I would say we did quite well. I wonder if one day with window replacements and a nicer colour tint, if a brighter more visually overall appealing facade would result?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:09 AM
surely you agree with me

The Richardson’s deserve our respect. They keep so many of our cultural institutions alive. Without slapping their name on everything like so many others. We are so lucky to have a company and family like that in Winnipeg. Total class. Total commitment to Winnipeg.

I’m very proud to be working with them.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 5:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The Richardson’s deserve our respect. They keep so many of our cultural institutions alive. Without slapping their name on everything like so many others. We are so lucky to have a company and family like that in Winnipeg. Total class. Total commitment to Winnipeg.

I’m very proud to be working with them.
agreed we are lucky

i worked with one of the grand kids a few yrs back when i was living in that underground arts community very cool dude smart civil chill and relaxed community minded. told me about the larger goals they fallow at their roots set out by their family and each generation gets to make their mark upon it nice people with the right attitude shows what education and a family that has a master vision to fallow within reason can do

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
I noticed garage style roll-down doors were installed at the far north end of Winnipeg Square right before you head down to where the Scotia Bank is. Noticed them about a week or so ago, but not sure when they were put in. I'm 99% sure these are new or I've been completed oblivious to them for years...
They have been there for years up in the ceiling, this is a replacement installation of new ones. The doors drop on a confirmed fire alarm to isolate Winnipeg Square from the bank section.

If you go to City Place they have the same thing on both the main and 2nd floors to separate the main floor annex wing and 2nd floor food court from the mail building.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:37 PM

Lol guys,

I agree they are and should be respected but I made a fleeting and weightless point, and it turned into a full-on discussion. Somewhere between respect and worship, then haha.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:25 PM

I was walking down Fort yesterday between Graham and Broadway. Why does it feel like a ****ing industrial park? Like at least the Fountain Tire is active / busy during the day (still don't like it) but the rest of it feels like it belongs in Murray Industrial park or on Erin/Wall. Not sure if just because it was kind of dead when I was walking by (which was at noon on a sunny weekday sadly) but besides the Pyramid and Beacon Hill Lodge (at least people live there) its pretty sad.

Lots of low hanging fruit on that street for development - some of those buildings couldn't get much worse in terms of creating a vibrant neighbourhood.

Just trying to stir some discussion - I was pretty cold yesterday when walking so maybe was just being negative lol

The 300 Main St proposal definitely helps a bit but still focusses more on the already active area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan