HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 5:52 PM

Canadian Premier League

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 2:20 AM

To have a Tier 1 soccer league entirely based in Canada would be ridiculously unbalanced as teams from rich major cities like Toronto and Vancouver would have an enormous advantage, plus there are too few major cities in Canada to support a high-end league.

I'd argue that Canada should have a Tier 2 or Tier 3 regional league as a national league in conjunction with similar US leagues, with promotion to the MLS (or relegation to lower Canadian leagues) possible.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
To have a Tier 1 soccer league entirely based in Canada would be ridiculously unbalanced as teams from rich major cities like Toronto and Vancouver would have an enormous advantage, plus there are too few major cities in Canada to support a high-end league.

I'd argue that Canada should have a Tier 2 or Tier 3 regional league as a national league in conjunction with similar US leagues, with promotion to the MLS (or relegation to lower Canadian leagues) possible.
So how does Toronto and Vancouver have an advantage?

Any league in Canada will be strictly regulated/governed in spending. A team in Corner Brook would have the same salary cap as Edmonton....

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Oh, give it a chance, will you? Geeeezzzzz

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:18 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Spain has a similar population to Canada with a similar mix of large and small cities yet it has a very successful domestic league, arguably the richest and most entertaining one in the world. This league could evolve in many different ways, uniquely adapted to Canada's needs, give it a chance indeed.

The main purpose of this league in the short to medium term is to develop local talent, while building the requisite national professional soccer infrastructure and culture. Kids will finally be able to take soccer seriously as a career path within this country. One of the main problems our national team has experienced is that we produce talented players, they go overseas at a young age for pro soccer opportunities, then get dual citizenship and we lose them forever to foreign soccer programs as their domestic.

I for one look forward to watching and supporting some of the new small market teams that pop up and tickle my fancy while simultaneously watching my local MLS team for a slightly different experience.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
CPL unanimously approved to join Soccer Canada, starting with Hamilton and Winnipeg

Hamilton Spectator

The new Canadian Premier League of soccer passed a major hurdle in Whistler, Alberta when it received unanimous approval to join Soccer Canada.

Hamilton and Winnipeg were the only teams formally confirmed when Soccer Canada members voted to approve the CPL's membership in the sport's national body Saturday. But Halifax, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton are also expected to be among the first members of the league.

Read more here:
http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...-and-winnipeg/

Original Source Image

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Spain has a similar population to Canada with a similar mix of large and small cities yet it has a very successful domestic league, arguably the richest and most entertaining one in the world. This league could evolve in many different ways, uniquely adapted to Canada's needs, give it a chance indeed.
I don't really follow sports but I get the impression that Canada's smaller markets are seriously underserved by the professional leagues that currently exist. Hopefully this new soccer league can tap into that potential.

In larger cities like Toronto there are many professional teams. In mid-sized and smaller US and European cities there are still college sports and major soccer leagues. Meanwhile, in Canada, there are cities like Quebec and Halifax where a lot of people are interested in sports but there are limited, modest professional teams. The Quebec City region east to the Maritimes has about 3 million people.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:22 PM

CPL is said to be soft launching for 2018 in august with a limited schedule so earliest FC Edmonton would jump would be 2019 so they are in NASL for at least one more year

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Spain is also 20 times smaller in size than Canada.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:59 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Why does that matter?

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 6:31 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Even more reason why franchises will survive in Canada with local urban monopolies.

An advantage that soccer has as a franchise sport is that it can be as cheap or as expensive to host as one wants, while giving an entertaining product. As long as the stadium is semi-decent (in terms of configuration and playing surface, doesn't have to have many seats) the product from the perspective of the viewer or attendee will be decent too.

It is also arguably among the most strategic athletic games, that also doesn't require complicated or expensive equipment to demonstrate the intricately strategic aspect of it. While many people enjoy the simple surface aspect of soccer where people run around, dribble, volley and score goals, the real beauty of the sport comes out when one has been watching for a few years and clues in on the strategic aspect. The way the players move the ball around to pull the attacking lines forward, pass the ball from one side of the field to another to stretch defences and open up channels for runners, the off-side trap, tiki taka, feigned movements, unique formations designed to leverage the best of the players available (4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2, 4-1-4-1, etc.). This gives each team such unique personalities and makes the game endlessly entertaining regardless of score.

Last edited by mistercorporate; May 7, 2017 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 6:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Why does that matter?
We need to understand the harsh geographic realities that would impact a Tofino-Inuvik-Alert-Dildo sports league.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 6:49 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:

Here is how you solve that: Scarborough FC, Etobicoke FC, etc.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Here is how you solve that: Scarborough FC, Etobicoke FC, etc.
I thought of that and such would be a preference for sure, but that requires MLSE getting its butt out of the way.

Also they need multiple tiers, to give smaller cities and suburbs a chance to rise to the pinnacle as well.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:01 PM

Hamilton Spectator - Whistler is not in Alberta.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:12 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I thought of that and such would be a preference for sure, but that requires MLSE getting its butt out of the way.

Also they need multiple tiers, to give smaller cities and suburbs a chance to rise to the pinnacle as well.
These franchises will also have development teams (Academies) that will compete with each other in a lower league. There are already tons of lower level teams in Canada, what we don't have is a domestic top flight. Think of MLS as the NBA and CPL as the NBL with a bigger salary cap and national broadcasting rights. The lower levels will develop and integrate/organize but we have to create the top flight first. MLSE and MLS have no choice but to accept teams within Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal when that day comes or if the CPL is very successful then one day those cities may even have their MLS teams convert to CPL (though not necessary at all).

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:50 PM

The one thing I do not want to see are the MLS academy teams in the CPL. This is supposed to be our D1 league and I think it would be embarrassing to have TFCII in it. It's TFC's way to remove the CPL as a legit threat: "See? Our farm team plays for them, clearly they aren't a quality game and we're the kings of soccer in this city/country!"

I for one would love to see a Scarborough FC. If the key to surviving in Toronto is to put teams in the different boroughs, I'm all for it. Cater to those who avoid downtown, and drum up some pride for their communities at the same time.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 8:23 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
The one thing I do not want to see are the MLS academy teams in the CPL. This is supposed to be our D1 league and I think it would be embarrassing to have TFCII in it. It's TFC's way to remove the CPL as a legit threat: "See? Our farm team plays for them, clearly they aren't a quality game and we're the kings of soccer in this city/country!"

I for one would love to see a Scarborough FC. If the key to surviving in Toronto is to put teams in the different boroughs, I'm all for it. Cater to those who avoid downtown, and drum up some pride for their communities at the same time.
Agreed, and I think it's a smart move for the CPL to have avoided the 3 MLS cities for now. They'll intend to launch 6 teams in 2018 during a promotional half-season (including the Ottawa Fury which will jump over from USL), 8 teams in 2019 when they have their first full season, and eventually 12 teams in the future, a respectable plan!

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:15 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post

There already is a Scarborough FC in the CSL.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:37 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

On a side note, TFC is averaging 27,275 in attendance so far this season, and we've only 3 games in. This is turning into yet another record year and well within my prediction that the stadium will reach capacity next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada