HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 1:07 PM
Oak City

A few new skyline shots of Raleigh

Raleigh, the capital of North Carolina. Also my new home. This weekend I took a few new photos of the skyline:

Full size image

Full size image

Two Hanover Square, it was the tallest building in the Carolinas outside of Charlotte when it was built in 1991. It was overtaken by Winston-Salem's Well Fargo Center in 1995 and overtaken as Raleigh's tallest by the PNC Plaza in 2008.

Here's the newly renamed PNC Plaza, formerly RBC Plaza. It's an even mix of office and condo, and when completed in 2008 Raleigh retook the title of tallest building in the Carolinas outside of Charlotte, which Winston-Salem had taken from Raleigh in 1995 with the Wells Fargo Center (IMO still a much better looking building). At 538 feet this is also taller than any building in neighboring Virginia as well. The shorter building in front of PNC Plaza is the new Wake County Justice Center which is still under construction. It's LEED and is coming in $24 million under budget.

Another view of the Wake County Justice Center:

They just recently changed the signs to Well Fargo, Raleigh's 3rd tallest:

One Progress Plaza, competed in 1977, and the downtown Sheraton hotel:

The Quorum condo building, built in 2007. The white building to the right is the Archdale building, part of the state government complex.

The Clarion Hotel, 1969. The top floor is a restaurant.

The new SECU (State Employees Credit Union) Headquarters building under construction. This will be connected to the new Green Square project which will include an expansion of the NC Natural Sciences museum and offices for the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources.

Here's a rendering including the Green Square project:

Source

The building behind me, beside the bridge where I was taking the photos. It may have the best views in the city. Next to the bridge is the Boylan Street Pub where I took a few of the photos from the patio.

On the far right of this photo is the new Marriott that was completed in 2008. It is adjacent to the new convention center and new downtown amphitheater. The city is lacking in number of downtown hotel rooms and is taking bids on a parcel of city owned land next to the Marriott for another hotel of similar size to be built within the next couple of years.

A very brief tour but now that I'm going to be in the area a lot more I'm excited to start exploring more of the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos