HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 8:44 PM

I'm no carpet-bagger. As a life long floridian, I feel the same way. I spent a good deal of my formidable years amongst the cow pastures and orange groves of florida's "heartland". I despise the sprawl as much as anybody, but rowth is an industry in Florida and I don't know what the state would be without it. Any big restrictions on growth would only cause prices to go further skyward. I'd like to stay here if I can, but I can barely afford it now.

I also believe there's good "sprawl". There are areas where we can build. The 17 and 27 corridors for instance, have many old town centers that are just begging for redevelopment; Lake Wales, Frostproof, Arcadia. I've heard from more than a couple of people that Palatka and it's riverfront setting are poised for boom. The US1 corridor in south florida could go much denser (Hollywood, Delray). The Daytona area in particular with it's satellite town cetners (New Smyrna, Ormond Beach, Ponce Inlet) could use a fresh infusion of development. Of course I don't want 20 new Orlando's scarring the state, but I think we do have the room and most importantly I think we can still preserve a lot of that old Florida if we do it correctly.

What I think bother's me most is the people that complain about change just for the sake of it. They don't like sprawl, they don't like condo's, they don't like trains, they don't like anything except the way it was in 1950 or whenever it was they moved here, when eggs were 2cents, you could have the whole beach to yourself, and everybody spoke english. Some things will change for the better and some for the worst, but constantly complaining about everything will not get us anywhere. when they write these articles these are the people they look for.

(last paragraph not directed at anyone here, just on general conversations with people.)

Last edited by brickell; Jan 12, 2007 at 8:56 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States