HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 2:53 AM
Buttscraper

Asheville NC from the top of the Flat Iron building!

Perfect conditions for site seeing today. There was a cool breeze and the temp was mid 70s. Perfect! Spent the day taking photos. Took photos from the top of 2 parking garages and some street levels.

I was suprised to find out that they now let the public go to the top of the Flat Iron building! They call it the Skybar and it's on an outside balcony at the top floor. That was beyond cool. Saw an aspect of Asheville that I've never seen before. There is no charge but you are expected to buy at least one drink. Now on to the photos.

Started the day at the parking garage at Mission hospital. My personal favorite skyline view of Asheville.

Now on the Civic Center parking lot in the heart of downtown!

Wandering on the street.

The Flat Iron building is the tall one on the left. I went to the top later that day.

On the balcony of the Flat Iron. Terrific views of the west side of downtown and the mountains off in the distance. Very breathtaking. Spent a very long time up here. I'm sure the sunsets are awesome up there since it's facing west

Check out that cool old elevator operator panel!

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 4:39 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
If and when you do buy a drink at the Sky Lounge, I'll warn you in advance that they don't pull any punches up there. I took a friend who can definitely hold her liquor up there one night and after one drink she was halfway to sloshed. I tasted it, and it tasted like cough medicine. The whole thing could probably have stripped the paint off a car.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 6:42 AM
Red October standing by

thanks for the great pics. i'll have to stop by there this summer.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 2:49 PM
Buttscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
If and when you do buy a drink at the Sky Lounge, I'll warn you in advance that they don't pull any punches up there. I took a friend who can definitely hold her liquor up there one night and after one drink she was halfway to sloshed. I tasted it, and it tasted like cough medicine. The whole thing could probably have stripped the paint off a car.
My girlfriend and I just had a beer. lol. When I got the menu I was expecting to be charged an arm and a leg for the drinks but the prices didn't look any different than anything else around town.

Last summer was the last time I really got a chance to walk around downtown and I don't remember seeing a sign for this. The Skybar must be fairly new.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 5:00 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tndude View Post
Last summer was the last time I really got a chance to walk around downtown and I don't remember seeing a sign for this. The Skybar must be fairly new.
No, it's been there several years... but they only open it in good weather, plus you can book it for private parties.

As an aside, you can also order food and drinks from World Coffee down on the street and have it sent up to the Sky Lounge. That's what I usually do, since I don't drink.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:41 PM
Fourth and Main

It's good to see the elevators working again at the Flatiron. When I resided in Asheville, the elevators in the building were broken and you had to use the stairs. That building appears 100% original on the inside. The stairs look original too. I had a friend who worked there. It didn't have a skybar at that time.

I love seeing back home again. Public Service Building was always my favorite. It was an electric company building when it was new in 1929. I can remember seeing it many times, when our mom would take us (my sister and I) into downtown. This thread brings back so many good memories of home. Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 11:38 PM
them bones

Nice new points of view of your wonderful little city.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 12:52 AM
Buttscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It's good to see the elevators working again at the Flatiron. When I resided in Asheville, the elevators in the building were broken and you had to use the stairs. That building appears 100% original on the inside. The stairs look original too. I had a friend who worked there. It didn't have a skybar at that time.
that was the first time I'd ever been inside it. That is a terrific building both inside and out. There is an elevator man that actually takes you up and down.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 1:34 AM
Fourth and Main

City Hall had elevator operators too at one time. Is it still like that? I heard many plans to update the elevators, but everyone loved the originals. Sometimes, it was difficult to find parts. My family was friends with the mayor when I was a kid and I remember talking with the elevator operator on trips there. She (elevator operator) was friendly and had many great memories of the city.

An interesting fact: The rooftop of the Flatiron was once home to large broadcast towers in the 20s/30s. (WWNC) When I was in high school (around 10-12 years ago), I would often go into the city to take photographs of everything. Any friends who worked downtown knew I would ask them about their view and taking photographs of their building. I likely have interior photographs somewhere? The Flatiron had a classic worn look to it. Almost like what you would expect to see in an old movie. I love everything about it. I also seem to remember it had historic restrooms as well? Again, all of this brings back so many good memories! I do miss my hometown in the mountains. I can look at these photographs several times and each time I'm smiling.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 6:17 AM
She needs her space

Love that city! Thanks for the photos, it's been a few years since I've visited, but it looks like some infill has gone up in the city?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 12:10 AM

Amazing photos! Thanks for posting! Makes me miss Asheville so much. Haven't been in a couple of years.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 12:26 AM

Great views!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:47 AM
Editor

Very nice! I always find Asheville so intriguing. It's one place I have to visit sometime.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:40 PM

When one of my friends lived in Tennessee, I had the chance to drive through Asheville a view times and it seemed like such a beautiful city. I wish I had had time to explore it before she moved. Anyway, nice shots!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:02 PM

Awesome flat iron. I love the variety so much. Just please be aware to not sacrifice quality for your flat irons, this can be really dangerous. I like to sedu hair flat irons as they provide the most comfortable perfomance and also are easy to use.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:21 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Been there earlier this year. A very nice city in the mountains with an unique feel in the South. I should visit again one day.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos