HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 7:45 PM

I wasn't sure where to post this, but did anyone else notice that every high rise downtown had its lighting element going last night? I'm assuming it was to show off to MLS, but man that looked cool. I haven't personally seen some of those buildings - Federal Courthouse, Cal EPA - lit up in years. I sure wish we could do that every night. The impression from driving in on the freeway last night and seeing downtown all lit up created such a sense of place.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, but did anyone else notice that every high rise downtown had its lighting element going last night? I'm assuming it was to show off to MLS, but man that looked cool. I haven't personally seen some of those buildings - Federal Courthouse, Cal EPA - lit up in years. I sure wish we could do that every night. The impression from driving in on the freeway last night and seeing downtown all lit up created such a sense of place.
Damn I wish I could of saw that. Was not downtown last night nor did I drive through it on I5.

Any reason why they don't light it up like that every night? Money the only reason?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 1:06 AM

I went on a 3 hour walk with my dog downtown last night and I did notice lights i hadn't seen in a long time.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 1:34 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeFutbolero View Post
I went on a 3 hour walk with my dog downtown last night and I did notice lights i hadn't seen in a long time.
Pics anyone?

Also I found this in the biz journal

“I do see an incredible amount of spirit in development right now,” said Sacramento assistant city manager John Dangberg, in his welcome message. One example: The city is working on establishing a “sign district” downtown that would feature electronic displays to create a sense of energy and attract new visitors.

Dangberg also mentioned several properties around the future arena site likely to see new interest, including the 800 block of K Street, entitled but unbuilt residential developments on J Street between 10th and 11th streets and the former Marshall Hotel.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 3:02 PM
Hindrance to Development

While the aesthetic design of "eviva", the latest CADA apartment complex, may not turn any heads, the construction technique is interesting:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/20/672...n-midtown.html

I think the same company originally had the contract to build the homes at 2500 R. They chose another builder for that project, interesting to see what else can be done with modular components. If they can build these more quickly than conventional construction (the units can be built off-site while site prep is being done, then drop them in place), theoretically that could shorten production cycles for infill buildings in the Railyards or other spots...wonder if there is a way to make them more visually interesting?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:39 PM
Here we stAy

Anyone able to get some pictures tonight of the buildings lit up, if it's still being done?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:16 PM

TBD festival. One of the best things I've ever been to in Sacramento.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post

“I do see an incredible amount of spirit in development right now,” said Sacramento assistant city manager John Dangberg, in his welcome message. One example: The city is working on establishing a “sign district” downtown that would feature electronic displays to create a sense of energy and attract new visitors.
Like downtown Las Vegas???

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
Like downtown Las Vegas???

I think what they are trying to do is make downtown more like how it use to be(1920's -early 1970s?) when it was actually busy...

I wish someone would build a men's clothing store that wasn't a women's Macys. I'm forced to go outside of downtown for all my clothing purchases.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:59 PM
Hindrance to Development

Downtown was like how it used to be (1920s-early 1950s) because there were 30,000 more people living there than there are today. A "sign district" is kind of a silly idea, putting the cart before the horse--how will electronic displays attract people who live far away to a street they can't see? The old neon and electric signs downtown served a purpose, attracting the attention of residents and visitors to come into their stores. The signs didn't come first, the people did, and the businesses used contemporary advertising methods to attract customers into their stores.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:52 PM

Well I'm guessing the sign district would be attempting to attract the state workers and other downtown employees that are working nearby before going home to the suburbs where they can't see the signs, Wburg.

Also there's a freeway or 2 that runs through downtown that has Kentucky of commuters who could be attracted downtown by bright flashy things.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:02 AM
Hindrance to Development

I don't think the downtown workers commuting home have failed to stop at downtown businesses on their way home because they just haven't noticed them due to insufficient signage.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I don't think the downtown workers commuting home have failed to stop at downtown businesses on their way home because they just haven't noticed them due to insufficient signage.
Man, that's deep. Why didn't you tell the city about this earlier?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:25 AM
Hindrance to Development

Because I'm pretty sure that they know the root of downtown Sacramento's problem is a lack of housing, not a lack of signage.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:53 PM

http://www.sacbee.com/food-drink/app...le3196972.html

Bacon and Butter in Tahoe Park.

Good luck getting in though, had to wait and hour and half on Saturday. Just bring mimosas in a paper cup

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:22 PM

http://sacramentoappraisalblog.com/2...hood/#comments

This group removes chain link fencing in Oak Park. Great organization and good idea!!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:55 PM

http://sacramentocityexpress.com/201...plaza-project/

More street fixes and stuff on R street. Looking pretty cool

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofFrost View Post
http://sacramentocityexpress.com/201...plaza-project/

More street fixes and stuff on R street. Looking pretty cool
between 15 and 16 is a lost cause
between 14 and 15 the street needs help
between 13 and 14 average street

between 10 and 13 is all finished

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:02 PM
Hindrance to Development

This segment is between 16th and 18th--around the Crystal Ice plant up to the back of Safeway. The block between 14th and 15th is probably considered low priority because the block itself is fixed up and active--the "buzz box" across from the old Perfection bakery is being turned into a faux copy of the brick facade across the street, soon to be home to a barbecue joint and a Dos Coyotes. Improvements on 16th/18th will hopefully be paralleled by the Ice Blocks project itself--have heard a few hints but not seen a presentation yet. It will also make the walk from 16th Street light rail to Safeway a lot more pleasant.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 10:29 PM

I've heard some rumblings that the Crystal ice plant project is being resurrected. I sure hope so because it's a key element to transforming the R Street corridor. This area is part of my extended neighborhood and not far from my business which is in the Handle District so I'm super stoked they are finally moving on this.

Speaking of light-rail. With the 16 Powerhouse (16th & P Streets), the ice plant and other new projects being added to the neighborhood it wouldn't be a bad time for RT to think about making improvements to the 16th Street station. Hey how about some shelters to protect people from the hot sun and cold rain?

Last edited by ozone; Oct 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area