HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:27 AM

Window wall vs curtain wall

There has been a lot of debate about this in the Architectural community in Calgary. Window walls are about half the price as curtain wall, so are being used on the majority of the condo towers going up here. I personally dislike the system and think curtain walls should be used here. My reasons are as follows.

1. Curtain walls are easier to install.
2. They are more efficient in a cold climate (Window wall has about 1" of insulation on the slab edge as opposed to about 3" with curtain wall).
3. Curtain walls are sealed better at expansion joints.
4. Curtain walls are usually 4 or 5 inches from the slab edge whereas window walls are usually mounted on top of the slab, and as such, allows for less tolerance in the concrete.

Does anyone else have experience with these 2 systems? how do they compare in warmer or wetter climates?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:32 PM
Senior Slacker

Do you have additional details that you can show w.r.t. the "window wall" system. I'm not sure I know exactly what it is that you are describing. Is it a prefabricated panel or built in place?

Either way, I'm pretty sure any building enclosure can be adjusted to suit the required insulation, air-tightness, etc. parameters.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
Do you have additional details that you can show w.r.t. the "window wall" system. I'm not sure I know exactly what it is that you are describing. Is it a prefabricated panel or built in place?

Either way, I'm pretty sure any building enclosure can be adjusted to suit the required insulation, air-tightness, etc. parameters.
I have details, but I doubt I am allowed to post them for liability reasons, haha.

A curtain wall is hung off the edge of a slab (usually 4 or 5 inches) using metal brackets that are cast into the slab. Window walls are put between the slabs, and actually rest on the slab itself, the mullion does overhang the slab by about 1" so that a spandrel panel can cover the slab.

The basic mechanics of the 2 systems are the same (you can't tell the difference by looking at the finished product), but Window walls have more components and are more difficult to install (are are less efficient as I said before).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:09 PM

What I don't get with curtain walls though, is that if they are the exterior walls, with the 4 inch overhang, what fills in the gap to keep objects and people from falling through?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
What I don't get with curtain walls though, is that if they are the exterior walls, with the 4 inch overhang, what fills in the gap to keep objects and people from falling through?
The space between the slab and the curtain wall is filled with a fire caulking, and then usually there is a small wall put against it where the baseboard heaters go.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 1:06 AM

Ah, kk. thanks for that. It has perplexed me for the longest time.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 7:25 AM
I am the law!

Curtain walls are obviously better than windows walls however I would probably place a window wall prefabricated panel above any pieced together(stick) curtain wall.

I disagree completely that a window wall is more difficult to install than a curtain wall. Screws are far easier than bolts.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
Curtain walls are obviously better than windows walls however I would probably place a window wall prefabricated panel above any pieced together(stick) curtain wall.

I disagree completely that a window wall is more difficult to install than a curtain wall. Screws are far easier than bolts.
Window wall systems are far more complex and have 2x as many pieces as a curtain wall does. You can get prefabricated window wall panels too, they usuall come 2 to 3 floors high depending on the system.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:36 PM

Redacted

Last edited by AllanC; Aug 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 6:42 PM

Curtain wall is 2x more expensive in the short term, but is probably 10x cheaper to maintain and would likely be cheaper in the long run.

That was a pretty good explanation btw. thanks.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:11 PM
HVAC guru

^ I don't know if I agree wih you on the long term costs, I'd like to see some figures on what is costs to replace curtain wall system components vs. traditional windows. I have read some reports of faulty systems in highrise residential in Vancouver and Toronto, the costs to repair the system (especailly an older system) seem quite prohibitive.

The real reason I don't like curtain wall on resi applications is that it's really a mis-application of the product. Procatically no resi buildings are pressurized, and a major benefit of a curtain wall system in a commercial building is keeping the building tight against infiltration. Chunks of curtain wall on a resi building are really just bling, they don't really serve a practical purpose. I think the same look can be achieved for less cost and less long term headaches with window wall.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 4:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what about double glass walls?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 2:19 AM

Dow Corning made a cable-net-supported glass curtain wall in Bejing that I think is quite amazing- definitely considered an industrial breakthrough.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/di...oly_plaza.aspx

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering