HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 10:33 PM

^maybe you can get your friend at GE to spill the beans about their proposal?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 10:35 PM

65Max is rigth. They just can't tear out all that parking without replacing it first. We'll just have to keep watching north of the Galleria I guess-less parking removed if you redevelop that first.

Perhaps the city wants crappy proposals right now so they can build up support for tearing that hideous garage out and replacing it with a high-rise. Maybe a renovation is just a stop-gap measure?

The city seems pretty schizzo when it comes to this project. I wish they'd just say what they want to do with it and just freakin do it all ready.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall
doubtful, he gives me information on 'secret' projects all the time, but this one was like a fireable offense if he released details, and trust me, I tried to persuade him with food, drinks, and well...other measures...Maybe since it's done, and much ado about nothing, he'll open up...possibly...

In any case, it won't stop me from asking next time I talk to him!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 3:27 PM

The city's main goals at this site are getting better retail at the street level and protecting or enhancing the quantity and quality of the parking. These are PDC's main goals. The folks that operate the garage would love to find someone else to pay for making this happen...thus the developer proposals. If the developer proposals don't work out the City will go back to their original idea of a major garage remodel to transform the retail and improve the light rail stations while cleaning up the stairs and elevators by making them more secure.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall
not a chance, this weekend he just said G-E wouldn't have spent 'hundreds of thousands' his words, bidding for a parking garage renovation.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 12:50 AM

^^^ Isn't that what G/E just did?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:19 PM

^I think he means there was more going on behind the scenes...well, I know there is because he wouldn't, and his company wouldn't be so uptight about any information leaking on this one when he's been candid about so many other projects that aren't 'public' yet.

I don't know if anything is ongoing though so I'm thinking, at least for the time...this project is

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:44 PM

Garage RFP stuck in park, but city plans haven't died
by Alison Ryan
03/28/2007
Daily Journal of Commerce

Change is ahead for the 27,000-square-foot retail space that sits underneath the parking garage at Southwest 10th Avenue and Morrison Street, but whether that change will be accompanied by a public-private partnership for larger development remains to be seen.

The city of Portland and the Portland Development Commission last week pulled back a request for proposals to redevelop the seven-story Smart Park garage. The RFP, issued in mid-November, asked proposers to offer solutions for improvements to ground-level retail and parking spaces, plus possibilities for residential and commercial uses.

Four developers had responded to an initial request for qualifications issued in June 2006. All four – Gerding Edlen Development Co., Weston Investment Co., Carroll Investments and Parr Financial – were green-lighted to respond to the RFP, but only Carroll Investments and Parr Financial did so.

Each proposal called for ownership of the block. And that, said David Logsdon, Smart Park manager and the city lead on the redevelopment project, meant that the proposals failed to meet one of the RFP’s key requirements – that the city continue to own and operate the block’s parking function.

“The city’s position all along has been that we think it’s important to maintain ownership of the garage,” he said.

Important – and necessary, according to the city. According to the RFP, the garage earns $1.1 million of revenue per year. Revenue from the city’s seven-garage Smart Park system goes first toward the operation of the garages. And then, Logsdon said, there’s bond debt on the whole system – specifically, bond debt that financed construction of the Portland Streetcar.

Up next for the project is “debriefing” of the proposers – and the qualified developers that didn’t respond. Within two or three weeks, Logsdon said, he hopes to schedule meetings with each. And within the next 60 days, he said, the city should know if there’s a way to modify its RFP and continue to pursue a larger development.

“Apparently it hasn’t worked,” he said, “and we want to find out why.”

Meeting with the developers that didn’t meet the March 1 RFP deadline is part of the learning process. Non-responders Gerding Edlen and Weston Investment expressed an initial interest in the garage redevelopment, Logsdon said, and the city would like to get the benefit of the thinking that went into their project concepts.

The contents of the responses to the RFP, said Lisa Lofgren, vice president of Parr Financial, will not be made public by the city; Parr Financial declined to discuss its proposal as well. At this point, Lofgren said, Parr has not scheduled a meeting with the city, nor has it discussed future options for the site.

“We’re just pretty much going with their decision that it’s closed,” she said.

John Carroll of Carroll Investments did not return phone calls seeking comment.

If a public-private partnership can’t be established, the city would return to an earlier plan, created in conjunction with the PDC, that would remodel the 27,000-square-foot retail level of the garage. The site is within the PDC’s South Park Blocks urban renewal area and is targeted as a key area of improvement within the central city. And, according to the RFP, PDC has up to $7.5 million aimed toward retail and ground-floor improvements; the city has up to $3.5 million in its major maintenance account marked for property improvements.

Improvements will happen, Logsdon said – it’s just a matter of on what scale.

“We have a pretty firm commitment to improving the retail presence of that garage,” he said. “It’s been a significant issue to that area of downtown.”

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:29 PM

Hmmm, so G/E didn't turn in a proposal. (Didn't I read here somewhere that they were one of the two?) This would explain Mark's friend's statement, and could be a good sign. Hope that meeting goes well, I want that garage underground.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 3:12 PM

10th and Yamhill Smart Park

Now, I (we) legally can't post the article (right?) so here's a link to an article on the aforementioned site:
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...490.xml&coll=7

Note: I couldn't find the original thread, so if someone can...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 3:56 PM
Well designed mixed use

I think you can post it if you link to it---right?

This is good news. I'd like to see the whole thing go, but this would be cheaper and better than nothing...which is what will happen if there's too much Portland-style turd polishing.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 10:25 PM

can the foundation of the parking garage support another 25 stories or would they have to tear it down it build it back up again

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
can the foundation of the parking garage support another 25 stories or would they have to tear it down it build it back up again
I would imagine they would just beef up the existing support columns

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 11:47 PM

If that is the case all the city owned garages (the one's across from Pioneer Place, for example) should be considered as parking/foundations for affordable housing (especially for those working minimum wage jobs in downtown PDX) to be designed/constructed on top of each structure, imo.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:50 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Oh my god:

Quote:
The city didn't want to sell the property, one of seven city-owned Smart Park garages. Logsdon said the city wants to control the land and it also needs the parking fees to help pay debt used to build the streetcar tracks. The structure generates $2.4 million in revenues, or about 25 percent of all the city's parking garage revenue.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 12:59 AM

City OKs talks with Carroll on Smart Park redevelopment
Daily Journal of Commerce
by Alison Ryan
08/13/2007

Redevelopment of the seven-story Smart Park garage at Southwest 10th Avenue and Yamhill Street is moving forward, but upcoming negotiations still have issues to resolve.

Portland City Council on Wednesday voted to let the Portland Development Com-mission begin garage improvment negotiations with developer John Carroll.

The city and the PDC in March pulled back a request for proposals to redevelop the Smart Park garage. Four developers, Gerding Edlen Development Co., Weston Investment Co., Carroll Investments and Parr Financial, had responded to a June 2006 request for qualifications; all four were found qualified. But only Carroll and Parr responded to the RFP, which asked developers to offer ideas for renovation of retail and development of commercial and residential uses while still keeping the block under city ownership.

Because the proposals from Carroll Investments and Parr Financial each called for ownership of the block, the city threw them out. But, said David Logsdon, Smart Park manager and the city lead on the redevelopment project, the city still wanted a fix for the garage, so it continued discussions with the developers.

“We offered to meet will all four, just to find out what would work, what wouldn’t work, in a development of that space,” he said.

Ultimately, said PDC senior development manager Lew Bowers, Carroll said he thought adding a tower on top of the existing garage while the city continued operation of the Smart Park, which earns $1.1 million of revenue per year, would work.

“If we can get those air rights used, that’s a home run from our point of view,” Bowers said.

Exactly what the tower will include, Carroll said, will evolve as talks with the PDC continue. But it will definitely be an “aggressive” mixed-use project, Carroll said, combining residential units with commercial space that he’s hoping to offer to a collection of nonprofits, or perhaps even an alternative school, that would benefit from the urban location. The retail at ground level will also get a makeover.

The Carroll proposal meets the city’s original goals for the redevelopment, Logsdon said. The building atop the garage, expected to be more than 25 stories, would add a greater mix of uses. The dark, underused retail spaces at ground level would get a lift.

But, the PDC’s Bowers said, there are major issues still ahead for the process. Seismically upgrading the garage so that a tower can safely stand atop it would cost a lot. Whether or not the parking garage can remain open during construction is another issue. And how much the project will cost, and how much of that cost will be tempered by public funds, needs to be determined as well.

Wednesday’s City Council endorsement doesn’t mean the project’s a sure thing, Bowers said, but that “we agree to talk about this exclusively with each other to see if it’s a deal.” If it is a deal, the city would need to approve a development and disposition agreement that would outline the public commitment and the private commitment to the project.

If Carroll’s tower becomes reality, it’ll sit directly next to another skyward-reaching piece of architecture: Park Avenue West, the 412-foot, 35-story tower that developer Tom Moyer is planning for Southwest Park Avenue and Yamhill Street.

The addition of 25 or more stories atop the existing seven-story garage would put Carroll’s project on a similar scale. The height limit for the block is 460 feet. Carroll said he plans to pursue full build-out for the block.

“Press the envelope,” he said. “Let’s get the density where it’s supported.”

So far, Bowers said, he’s excited by what Carroll’s proposing. The garage currently does what it’s supposed to do – house cars – but it’s not visually appealing. The early conceptual designs by Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, Bowers said, are transformative.

“You wouldn’t recognize it,” he said.

The concepts Ankrom Moisan has come up with, Carroll said, are still loose, offering a range of solutions. But he wants something great.

“In my lifetime, I’d like to contribute something to the skyline and to strengthen downtown,” he said, “and this project is an opportunity to do that.”
http://www.djcoregon.com/viewStory.c...29927&userID=1

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 1:57 AM

so ankrom moisan is designing the project or just the garage facelift?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 3:52 AM

from my read, they are preparing the conceptuals for the entire project.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 1:23 PM
momentum

sounds like an interesting project - i hope Ankrom Moisan will make us proud!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 2:39 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
sounds like an interesting project - i hope Ankrom Moisan will make us proud!
That's wishful thinking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland