HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 11:50 PM
Well designed mixed use

I think it is a whole lot cheaper...otherwise they would tear it down. It's not ideal, but this deal has potential to be very good for the city. That garage is a piece of shit, and while I don't love all of Carroll's buildings (I hate the Gregory and Elizabeth though many people love them), he really cares about Portland and I'm glad he's doing this one.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 11:59 PM

⤴ I proposed an idea, a couple years ago, on this forum that all the city allow "affordable apartments" to be built on top of the city owned parking garages. I still feel this could work.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:43 AM

Not a bad idea PacificNW. Car alarms going off could be annoying though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:57 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hmm... perhaps we could set a new paradigm strategy for all those cities in the Midwest and the south that saturated their downtowns with above-level parking garages.

Could help Eugene out, too, if they ever decide to build up.

On the flip side, once downtown land prices are high enough... anyone who developed this might be shooting themselves that they couldn't replace it with a luxury tower.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:22 PM

Great idea Pacific NW - or how about 'places of worship'. Many have parking lots and the institutions enjoy tax-free status.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:13 PM

update from a email, sounds like plans are progressing
Quote:
10th and Yamhill Garage Update

Project planning stages are progressing on the 10th and Yamhill Garage Redevelopment. There are a few different planning options currently being considered. One option involves a renovation with a new tower built on top of the existing garage that will necessitate the garage be closed for eight months. Another option involves rebuilding the entire structure from the ground up with the possibility of two levels of underground parking opening after 11 months.

The DRC has asked the 10th and Yamhill Garage developer to provide reports based on current utilization rates at the Smart Park garage, the parking garage at Fox Tower and the surface parking lot next to the Galleria. With a comprehensive redirection plan in place, we can provide downtown shoppers with ample and convenient parking options during the garage construction process.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 5:08 PM

Awesome news, thanks!

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 9:14 PM
A before E

sounds positive, lets hope it all pans out well. This would be Portland's 4th tallest if I am not mistaken, if it happens.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
This would be the tallest building in Portland, correct?

Maybe if the spire were longer than my penis. LOL

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 7:21 AM
'Can Draw It'

Would it be way cool if they tore down the eyesore of a garage, dug deep to build an underground garage, then connected it with PAW's garage, which of course will be connected to Park Block 5's, and then Fox Tower's......4 blocks of underground connecting garages. That would be sweet.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudshark View Post
Would it be way cool if they tore down the eyesore of a garage, dug deep to build an underground garage, then connected it with PAW's garage, which of course will be connected to Park Block 5's, and then Fox Tower's......4 blocks of underground connecting garages. That would be sweet.
4 blocks of connected underground zigzagging parking garages sounds confusing to me... It would make most sense to tear down Nordstrom, dig down for a parking garage, build whatever on top, and connect all 4 blocks in a giant square like the brewery blocks garage is.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 2:20 PM
'Can Draw It'

What's so confusing about a zig-zag garage? No knock on your post dkealoha (everyone is entitled to an opinion), but this box/square shape thing is becoming so Portland that it's time we think "outside" of it. Just like the boxy slab buildings EVERYWHERE. It's 2008, let's get on with this century!

I think most people would be able to find their way through what amounts to 2 right angles without too much difficulty. Actually, it's already going to be zig-zagged. Taking it one block west wouldn't change the shape it's already destined to be.

I just think it's time P-town wakes up and smells the coffee that's ubiquitous here. Let's be weird like the bumperstickers that seemingly aren't quite on target. We don't have to shake things up with everything, but once in a blue moon might be nice.

Box Schmox.

Last edited by mudshark; May 30, 2008 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 3:27 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

how about not posting while drunk?

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:02 PM
'Can Draw It'

Excuse me? I rarely if ever drink, and I've seen some posts on here that were a bit more verbally abusive in response to another post. Accusations aren't cool. Especially when they're incorrect. Being able to express my opinion regardless of whether it's anyone else's belief is ok. I worked all night on a freelance project. Pardon me for making an error in judgement on the block going west and forgetting my L's from my ZigZags.

Just because I don't work in or study urban issues as intensely as others here doesn't mean I can't express my opinion. I know that I've contributed to this forum in ways others have not with some of the art I've conjured up as to the future look of Portland. I care about the city as much as anybody on here, or I wouldn't be here.

Next time I read a post of yours that has a mistake I'll make sure to "not" make any accusations. Regardless of whether it's a technical error or a matter of an opinion and the right to state it.

Being able to state my opinion is my right, whether you agree with it or not. Accusing me of being drunk isn't cool, and off base. I'll take it no further.

I can finally go to bed now that my proofs are out to my client.

Have a great weekend.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudshark View Post
Excuse me? I rarely if ever drink, and I've seen some posts on here that were a bit more verbally abusive in response to another post. Accusations aren't cool. Especially when they're incorrect. Being able to express my opinion regardless of whether it's anyone else's belief is ok. I worked all night on a freelance project. Pardon me for making an error in judgement on the block going west and forgetting my L's from my ZigZags.

Just because I don't work in or study urban issues as intensely as others here doesn't mean I can't express my opinion. I know that I've contributed to this forum in ways others have not with some of the art I've conjured up as to the future look of Portland. I care about the city as much as anybody on here, or I wouldn't be here.

Next time I read a post of yours that has a mistake I'll make sure to "not" make any accusations. Regardless of whether it's a technical error or a matter of an opinion and the right to state it.

Being able to state my opinion is my right, whether you agree with it or not. Accusing me of being drunk isn't cool, and off base. I'll take it no further.

I can finally go to bed now that my proofs are out to my client.

Have a great weekend.
Um, my guess is that Zilfondel was not referring to your post. I'll admit that it is just a little strange when we start comparing buildings to body parts.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:45 PM
'Can Draw It'

ooops. well, if that's the case, then i feel like the dummy. but i worked 15 straight hours through the night into morning (with just a few breaks) and am dog tired, therefore, a bit groggy. zin, if i was off base, my pardons.......if i wasn't......none buddy ; )

all good.....peace.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:52 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

heh, its all cool. I should have posted [humor] tags anyways...

I'm really not a stick-in-the mud. Honest...

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:49 AM
'Can Draw It'

yes, it is all good....i know you're not a stick in the mud.....just a re-bar in it!! ; ) KIDDING.......man, weird being up working all night, and sleeping through one of our SUNNY days! damn......Hope it lasts a few more.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 6:01 AM

great to see this progressing.

that garage, like most of them downtown, is really an eyesore.

The street level interface near the max is cold, desolate and devoid of life.
Cool news if this keeps going through.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:54 AM

Make your garages zig zag and upside down for all I care... I don't drive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland