HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 8:51 PM

Goat Blocks | Multiple Buildings | Complete

Killian Pacific preparing to develop ‘goat blocks’ in Southeast Portland

POSTED: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 04:18 PM PT
BY: Lee Fehrenbacher Daily Journal of Commerce - Oregon

Quote:
Killian Pacific has filed for a pre-application conference with the city of Portland for development of the "goat blocks" – a popular nickname for a 92,000-square-foot superblock bound by Southeast Belmont and Taylor streets, and 10th and 11th avenues.
(paywall)
Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2013/09/17...#ixzz2fHONc8Cj

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:22 PM

The pre-application for the 'goat blocks' mentioned above. Looks promising on the ground floor, would like to see heights and renderings, obviously!
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=464742

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
The pre-application for the 'goat blocks' mentioned above. Looks promising on the ground floor, would like to see heights and renderings, obviously!
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=464742
Oh, please let this project somehow be ever-so-slightly goat-themed in order to reference the location's recent history. That's all I ask. OK, I ask for some height too, and underground (undergoat?) parking of course.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Oh, please let this project somehow be ever-so-slightly goat-themed in order to reference the location's recent history. That's all I ask. OK, I ask for some height too, and underground (undergoat?) parking of course.
Stop kidding around.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:34 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Whatsamatta? Did my comment get your goat?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:58 PM
Karma Police

Now, now kids. Behave.

My guess is the only goat-themed element would be a historical plaque slapped on the side of one of the buildings. But they could include a Kid Kare Center, that wouldn't be too difficult since it's on the way into downtown for most SE'ers

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:34 AM

Drawings here for the Goat Blocks redevelopment (the block bounded by Belmont/Taylor/10th/11th + a parcel across 11th). Has that Ankrom look but it will be nice to have that block filled in again.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:08 PM

That's a pretty large grocery store. Any guesses who the tenant might be?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:11 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
That's a pretty large grocery store. Any guesses who the tenant might be?
I heard that New Seasons and another out of market retailer are vying for the space. New Seasons is aggressively expanding. They and the venture capital company that owns New Seasons just bought a New Leaf in California, and New Seasons is putting stores everywhere in Portland--most of them as close to neighborhood co-ops and Whole Foods locations as possible. They are definitely going for the throat so to speak... Will be interesting to see it all play out.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:24 PM

That was my initial assumption too, although I wondered if wasn't too close to their seven corners store.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:25 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
That was my initial assumption too, although I wondered if wasn't too close to their seven corners store.
It's definitely close--but lately that seems not to matter it seems to them. The new Broadway store is really close to their Alberta store, and their Williams store pretty close to Interstate. Was thinking recently how spoiled we are here i Portland with wonderful grocery stores. Whole Foods and New Seasons are the norm. On top of that is Zupans, Freddys, and now Green Zebra. I can't think of another city that compares.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 7:13 PM

Goat Blocks Plans

I didn't see these posted elsewhere, but it actually looks pretty nice.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 7:29 PM

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 7:23 AM
A before E

That looks like a really good looking development, it is great to see something finally going in there and I like that it looks like it will try to really transform that area into something more than what it is now. And the design of these buildings looks good, though it does look like the units will be tiny, hopefully that means they will also be a bit lower in price....but I doubt that.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 8:56 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
it does look like the units will be tiny, hopefully that means they will also be a bit lower in price....but I doubt that.
Yeah, I'd love to see affordable housing built in that neighborhood, as I'm sure we all would. I doubt it's going to happen with this project. Still, this looks good.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 10:08 PM
A before E

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to see affordable housing built in that neighborhood, as I'm sure we all would. I doubt it's going to happen with this project. Still, this looks good.
I was looking at the zoning regulations and it looks like the inner south east could build up quite the 200ft skyline throughout much of the area.

I do think if we see a large number of small units being built in the central eastside could mean that we see the apartments outside of that area and downtown to be a bit cheaper because new residents would more than likely be the ones looking to move to these new units rather than outside of the core. Nonetheless, it is very important for Portland to do a major build up of units in the core and Central Eastside is a great area for this to happen.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 7:52 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I was looking at the zoning regulations and it looks like the inner south east could build up quite the 200ft skyline throughout much of the area.

I do think if we see a large number of small units being built in the central eastside could mean that we see the apartments outside of that area and downtown to be a bit cheaper because new residents would more than likely be the ones looking to move to these new units rather than outside of the core. Nonetheless, it is very important for Portland to do a major build up of units in the core and Central Eastside is a great area for this to happen.
The problem with that model is that it pushes people out of their neighborhoods. In theory, new housing is built. People leave old housing for new housing, which drives old housing prices down. In reality, there isn't enough housing in high demand areas to keep up with demand. As new housing is built, the thriving neighborhood fuel even more demand, thus driving prices skyward even at the older housing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about what's happening in Portland, but I worry that more and more of our neighborhoods are pricing Portlanders out of Portland. Prices in inner SE are getting scary already, and the changes have only just begun.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 1:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
The problem with that model is that it pushes people out of their neighborhoods. In theory, new housing is built. People leave old housing for new housing, which drives old housing prices down. In reality, there isn't enough housing in high demand areas to keep up with demand. As new housing is built, the thriving neighborhood fuel even more demand, thus driving prices skyward even at the older housing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about what's happening in Portland, but I worry that more and more of our neighborhoods are pricing Portlanders out of Portland. Prices in inner SE are getting scary already, and the changes have only just begun.
Well inner SE does count as one of those hot areas that people are moving to, but we have been seeing a massive build up along streets like Division, and hopefully we will see more denser infill throughout that area as well.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 7:04 AM

The root of the problem is there aren't enough nice places in the US. The few nice places there are, people are essentially bidding out each other to live there. We need to be able to build the kind of places people want to live in but unfortunately they are illegal or expensive to build (thanks to requirements: fire, ADA, parking, zoning, NIMBYs, bldg codes requiring overbuilding, traffic engineering, etc), so we have a mad rush to live in the few nice remaining pre-war neighborhoods and small towns that haven't been destroyed in the last 80 years. We should be able to build new San Francisco's and Northwest Portland's... nice fine grain human scaled walkable places, unfortunately its almost impossible to build anything other than single story sprawl with acres of parking or massive out of scale buildings.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:

I know we've been through this before, but I find the economics behind that argument very difficult to believe. Can you link an article by someone knowledgable in this area that demonstrates how this could take place?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland