HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:13 AM

"We have tested, and yes, this parking lot is a disgrace"

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Around 1PM...
Thanks for the bonus shot of the Bush Temple addition topping out. That was fast. I'm really loving all the fine grained development in this part of River North

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:56 AM

Woof... that tower on the other side of Dearborn in that picture there is disgusting. Looks like it was designed by an agoraphobic architect... There are basically no windows!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:17 PM
The City

^ Even worse than the tower is its parking garage

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Even worse than the tower is its parking garage
Yeah, at street level that building is terrible. Good thing there will be OCS to balance it out in the immediate area.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Mustn't forget it's TWO substantial towers. We'd be happy with the office tower alone, if it were located here or just about anywhere else.
I feel like an old timer (which I'm not even close to being), but do many of you remember that it wasn't long ago that River North was mostly low slung buildings and otherwise a sea of parking lots?

I mean, that has transformed within 2 decades, and this particular project will be a major exclamation point of that process. The Holy Name lot is a hole in what is otherwise becoming a cohesive urban fabric north of the river. Who cares if it's 25 feet too short of some arbitrary measure? But whatever, I know that there are some OCD types out there who just won't bother to change their minds...

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 10, 2019 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danykane007 View Post
I feel like an old timer (which I'm not even close to being), but do many of you remember that it wasn't long ago that River North was mostly low slung buildings and otherwise a sea of parking lots?

I mean, that has transformed within 2 decades, and this particular project will be a major exclamation point of that process. The Holy Name lot is a hole in what is otherwise becoming a cohesive urban fabric north of the river. Who cares if it's 25 feet too short of some arbitrary measure? But whatever, I know that there are some OCD types out there who just won't bother to change their minds...
Yep, it's an unbelievable transformation.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:02 PM
The City

^ You don't have to even be much of an old timer.

As recently as the early 2000s River North was like that. It's changed so dramatically and quickly that it's no surprise that people who haven't been to Chicago in a while still envision it as just the Loop and the Mag Mile.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danykane007 View Post
Yes. . . and unfortunately the majority of the buildings that have been erected in River North over the last few decades have less aesthetic quality than those surface level parking lots. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep, it's an unbelievable transformation.
I'm not yet 30 years old but I can remember River North (and lots of Streeterville) being a sea of parking lots.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:40 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I'm not yet 30 years old but I can remember River North (and lots of Streeterville) being a sea of parking lots.
In about 2001-2002, I lived at 1421 N Dearborn and worked in the Loop. Sometimes I'd take the 156/LaSalle bus, sometimes I'd just take a cab.

A memory taking the 156 is seeing a bunch of vintage cars parked in a lot that was the NW corner of LaSalle and Kinzie for the filming of Road to Perdition. Shortly after they were done, the apartment building there started construction.

And when talking a taxi home north on Dearborn, I have lots of memories of all the condo buildings that sprouted up between Kinzie and Huron. It was a super-exciting time to be in Chicago
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 11, 2019 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:47 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Woof... that tower on the other side of Dearborn in that picture there is disgusting. Looks like it was designed by an agoraphobic architect... There are basically no windows!
The picture makes it look worse than it is. It's not a great building, but it's not windowless. I hope someday they build over that buildings parking garage fronting Chicago Ave, too, it really sucks the life out of that block.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The picture makes it look worse than it is. It's not a great building, but it's not windowless. I hope someday they build over that buildings parking garage fronting Chicago Ave, too, it really sucks the life out of that block.
That is a rental tower. And, at least based on the signage, it appears the garage would be part of that property. So at some point, someone should be able to make a business case to construct another tower. Maybe any renters using the existing garage can make use of the OCS garage.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In about 2001-2002, I lived at 1421 N Dearborn and worked in the Loop. Sometimes I'd take the 156/LaSalle bus, sometimes I'd just take a cab.

A memory taking the 156 is seeing a bunch of vintage cars parked in a lot that was the NW corner of LaSalle and Kinzie for the filming of Road to Perdition. Shortly after they were done, the apartment building there started construction.

And when talking a taxi home north on Dearborn, I have lots of memories of all the condo buildings that sprouted up between Kinzie and Huron. It was a super-exciting time to be in Chicago.
The transformation of River North between the early 2000s and today is amazing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:18 PM
The City

Does anyone know if the Holy Name's parking lot is closed or set to close soon? Just wondering when actual "site prep/demo" may begin for this beast

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM
Nocturne

It's probably already been said, but what are the real odds this thing gets completed? I'm in River North often and am looking forward to the way it'll totally change the energy of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
It's probably already been said, but what are the real odds this thing gets completed? I'm in River North often and am looking forward to the way it'll totally change the energy of the neighborhood.
100 percent chance, look back a couple of posts/pages for proof.

Old Posted Today, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Does anyone know if the Holy Name's parking lot is closed or set to close soon? Just wondering when actual "site prep/demo" may begin for this beast
Someone said that the contractors were told to be ready for March, so March is what I'm expecting, maybe late February for demo?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals