HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:09 PM

This one is heading to a public hearing sometime after July 18th. There's rumors that there might be hearings added between now and September, but the next scheduled meeting is for September 18th.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2018071...20180710ag.htm

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
This one is heading to a public hearing sometime after July 18th. There's rumors that there might be hearings added between now and September, but the next scheduled meeting is for September 18th.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2018071...20180710ag.htm
This was on the agenda for 31 July. Now the item, and the project have apparently been withdrawn. It seems odd, as staff were apparently recommending approval. Maybe the market for high end towers is going to pause, as many have suggested it will. If so there are other landmark projects that might not happen. On the other hand it coyuld be something related to the developer here, rather than a wider issue. Perhaps we'll have an explanation some time.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:10 PM

This week I have received in my mail box the hearing notice and it's scheduled for the 31th of July.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreeze View Post
This week I have received in my mail box the hearing notice and it's scheduled for the 31th of July.
As noted above - not any more.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:02 AM

It is indeed pulled due to market conditions. An article in the Globe discusses the situation:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...signs-of-weak/

I anticipate a number of luxury downtown buildings will also be put on hold. The article states that the Landmark on Robson condos, heavily marketed overseas and here somewhat, has sold a mere 50 units...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:21 AM

Well that's good. Maybe they can make the project work with more normal priced units

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:41 AM

The Ritz-Carlton -> Trump underwent a redesign to smaller units after the 2008 stock market collapse.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:47 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
It is indeed pulled due to market conditions. An article in the Globe discusses the situation:

I anticipate a number of luxury downtown buildings will also be put on hold. The article states that the Landmark on Robson condos, heavily marketed overseas and here somewhat, has sold a mere 50 units...
Similar to what I'm hearing in my industry. We're getting record commission bonus offers from many of these projects which is always an indication that things aren't going well, some of the biggest have been from Mirabel on Davie.

The Landmark on Robson project would likely not have proceeded at all if market conditions had been like this in 2017 which makes me wonder if the hotel would have still be operational and would have avoided the wrecking ball.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 5:38 PM

Come back foreign money launderers!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 5:54 PM

Instead of giving big incentives to realtors how about the developers lower their fucking prices instead. i always hate these realtor bonuses. You should be showing places your client would be interested in, not places that you will get a large bonus. And I'm saying this as a realtor

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Instead of giving big incentives to realtors how about the developers lower their fucking prices instead.
no kidding!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The Ritz-Carlton -> Trump underwent a redesign to smaller units after the 2008 stock market collapse.
True but that was in the face of a big global recession. The circumstances around this cancellation are Vancouver-specific. Our economy is booming, so it’s clear this building was never intended for local wage earners.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 3:31 PM

So this fantastic building is cancelled, or shelved, at best? That's a real drag! It would have made such a stylish and bold addition to W. Georgia.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 6:18 PM

maybe make it an office tower instead.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
maybe make it an office tower instead.
Is that feasible?? If so, let's go for it!!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 7:29 PM

At the very least if this building is uneconomical to build in Vancouver I would love this design may be a little taller to be built in Burnaby and or Surrey! It's a shame that a lot of really nice buildings get planned and don't get built.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 8:03 PM

What puzzles me is why it was dropped when the public hearing was literally only a week(ish) away. Wouldn't it be more profitable to have the rezoning approved and then, at worst, sell the property later on.

I have heard there's been softening of the pre-sale market, but other properties (like 1444 Alberni) still seem to be moving ahead. That said, I wonder if there could be a connection to the recent decision to eliminate parking minimums Downtown. Even if eliminating the parking would have required a substantial design change, I would have thought that would just require an amendment, rather than a whole new application.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 9:59 PM

It's perhaps not surprising that an inexperienced developer, with a very ambitious project, would back off before proceeding with something that might not be worth trying to market as currently designed. As far as I can see they're based in Shenzhen where they are a high-tech printing company, mostly producing cigarette packaging, so this is a significant departure. They've also bought a big site at Ioco in Port Moody from Imperial Oil, and switched architects on that project last year.

It's possible they'll mothball the design, and wait for the market for high-end towers to recover. It's not like they've demolished the existing buildings, or that they paid crazy money for the site. They could see if another developer wants the site, or they could redesign the tower to reflect a market for smaller and less expensive units, although they'll still have to include a proportion of 2 and 3 bed units to meet city policy. It's not a location that lends itself to an office tower, and the floorplate would be really inefficient for office use, so that seems a pretty unlikely option.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post

I mean Landmark has no selling features whatsoever; it's not taller than the other new developments, isn't designed by a starchitect, nor does it have any better amenities yet they're asking prices just as high. I don't think people are that stupid but yeah, the luxury market is slowing down. Even luxury rentals are slowing with price cuts everywhere

In this case, will the Bosa Ole Scheeren towers as well as the Landa Ramsa projects proceed?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
It's perhaps not surprising that an inexperienced developer, with a very ambitious project, would back off before proceeding with something that might not be worth trying to market as currently designed. As far as I can see they're based in Shenzhen where they are a high-tech printing company, mostly producing cigarette packaging, so this is a significant departure. They've also bought a big site at Ioco in Port Moody from Imperial Oil, and switched architects on that project last year.
Sounds like a perfect poster child for what's wrong with Vancouver's estate market then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver