HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I think it's the exits if you take the wrong one you are nowhere near where you thought you would be, I found myself having to go back and find the right exit a few times. But other than that it was easy.
That was my experience with London's system. You emerge from the station and have a 'where the fuck am i' moment until you get your bearings straight.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:20 PM

I've ridden 4: Philadelphia, Washington, New York, and Chicago

The New York system has the best coverage, and there are always trains coming. I remember liking Washington's, although my aunt from DC hates it. The Chicago L has landmark status, and the Loop was cool. SEPTA gets me where I need and that's it. Aside from that, it sucks.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:46 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
It's cleaner than ever. The problems are if you want to ride it at nighttime or on weekends, trains don't come often enough.
I didn't mean the cleanliness has gotten worse, but the service. All I ever hear are horror stories about huge service stoppages because of deferred maintenance whenever I see the system in the media.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:50 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I think it's the exits if you take the wrong one you are nowhere near where you thought you would be, I found myself having to go back and find the right exit a few times. But other than that it was easy.
It's been a long time since I've ridden the Underground. Do they not have maps inside the station that show you where the various exits are located with respect to the surrounding streets? That's one of the things I like about the Shanghai Metro - these maps are INSIDE the fare-paid area so you know exactly where you have to go out to get to where you're going. It was also one of the things I didn't like about the Paris Metro - they had these maps, but only after you left the fare-paid area, so if you went out the wrong set of fare gates you were SOL.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:12 PM
Big City Enthusiast

North America

Commuter Rail: Chicago, Vancouver, Seattle, DC
Metros: Vancouver, Chicago, DC, SF, NYC
Light Rail: Portland, Seattle, Houston, Baltimore
Tram: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, New Orleans, Oklahoma City
Monorail: Seattle, Oklahoma City*, Vancouver*

Asia

Metro: Chongqing, Osaka, Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Hong Kong
Light Rail: Shanghai, Guangzhou, Osaka JR Rail, Tokyo JR Rail, Nagoya Mitetsu
Monorail: Osaka, Chongqing
Funicular: Chongqing
Other: Chongqing Yangtze River Cable Car, Chongqing JiaLing Jiang Cable Car*, SF

*destroyed

Favourites

Vancouver SkyTrain - automated, fast, frequent, very nice metro coverage
Chongqing CRT - fast, nice landscapes, huge capacity (esp monorail)
Chicago L - monument to rail transit, no other system runs through skyscraper canyons
Osaka Metro - very clean, convenient
Chicago Metra - best commuter rail IMO
Chongqing Yangtze River Cable car - a MUST if in Chongqing, a very unique experience
Chongqing Yangtze River Funicular rail - also a must when in Chongqing!!

Least Favorite

Seattle Link: not very well planned/rushed
Seattle Sounder: not very well planned (should have run along I-5), ridiculous scheduling, inconvenient

NOTES:

Notice I have a few systems that are no longer in existence. Oklahoma City used to have a monorail at its fairgrounds; which was destroyed and removed (only a very small section remains). Vancouver also had a monorail for the Expo 86 World's Fair.

I can't wait for Oklahoma City's new tram system under construction; can't wait to add this to my list. its in italics for now

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation