HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's all relative... Nord du Lac is more upscale than anything in St. Bernard or most of the rest of the state.

Also, why does it need to be upscale at all? Vacant and blighted is no good, but there needs to be a place for Applebee's as well as Capital Grille or Cheesecake Factory.
Nor du Lac "looks" more upscale than anything in St. Bernard or most of the rest of Louisiana. Up close it's just a glorified strip mall. It may have been planned as upscale exurban shoppers paradise, but the economy saw otherwise. Hey, it's better than nothing though right?

I honestly would like to see anything upscale focused on the city or at least Metairie (it hurt me to say that). We really have a lot of potential right now.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Good to hear that construction on the Hyatt has started. Also noticed construction on the apartments in the Saratoga building looks to have started.

Also...is there work being done on the Rault Center? Didn't get a good look since I was driving by on Loyola, but thought I saw something different about the building. Maybe I'm just seeing things as I get older. I'll look again when I'm in the CBD.
Saw absolutely no signs of life around the Rault Center. There are a few large crane trucks and heavy equipment around that general area, looks like they are setting up for a huge movie shoot.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 2:36 AM

Thanks...I probably saw the movie equipment out of the corner of my eye. I was really hoping something was being done to the building. At least the Saratoga is being put back into commerce.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 3:48 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Thanks...I probably saw the movie equipment out of the corner of my eye. I was really hoping something was being done to the building. At least the Saratoga is being put back into commerce.
Are you sure you didn't just see another piece falling off of the Rault Center?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 4:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I honestly would like to see anything upscale focused on the city or at least Metairie (it hurt me to say that). We really have a lot of potential right now.
There have been rumors of Target opening a city store for awhile now, but I heard on good authority that, at least until now, they viewed the city as a huge gamble.

On the other hand, Target already has an urban format of store-above-parking that would satisfy New Orleans' flood elevation rules, and it only needs an 8-acre site.

On Peterson Ave. in Chicago... this has no parking lot, except for the one under the building. There are at least three of these in Chicago.
We could get this in New Orleans in just a few years! That glassed-in area is a cafe, but here in NOLA that might become an outdoor deck or something. Lots of possibilities! Target has good architects.

Applied Engineering Services

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 4:58 PM

There is a nice urban Target in Minneapolis...but that ^ is hideous.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 5:20 PM

Quote:
There have been rumors of Target opening a city store for awhile now, but I heard on good authority that, at least until now, they viewed the city as a huge gamble.

On the other hand, Target already has an urban format of store-above-parking that would satisfy New Orleans' flood elevation rules, and it only needs an 8-acre site.
I can think of a couple vacant or dilapidated sites that would be good for this.

I'll be glad when they finally do something with that Carrollton Shopping Center lot.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:12 PM

New Orleans officials still balking at new teaching hospital street plan

It's nice to finally have a city administration that supports and advocates for good urban planning!

As promised, city of New Orleans officials have met with state planners, Louisiana State University authorities and the architects designing the public teaching hospital slated for Mid-City.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._still_ba.html

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:37 AM

Nice to see Mitch get involved. Mostly just making a statement I think. Plans will be approved in mid-August with minimal changes if any.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 9:53 AM

Last edited by Uptowner; Aug 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 7:27 PM

Laid initial pillings but eventually scrapped last I heard.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Laid initial pillings but eventually scrapped last I heard.

--------------
Don't know if anyone has seen this or if it's already been posted, but here's a video related to the airport construction.
http://www.flymsy.com/Capitol_Conceptions/videohome.htm

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 12:59 AM
TL;DR

I'm kinda glad that thing didn't go through. The description on the website clearly tries to paint these as being in the Quarter, even though they're across a massive river, and to get to the FQ would require a 10-minute drive or a 15-20 minute walk and ferry trip. The website also, puzzlingly, tries to show as amenities things that are required by code, like GFCI outlets.

The architecture sucks, too, but that's not what concerns me. Personally, if we're doing riverfront condos, why not put them on the East Bank along the miles of dilapidated riverfront? It would help struggling neighborhoods, unlike Algiers Point where it would only add to an already-healthy area.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Personally, if we're doing riverfront condos, why not put them on the East Bank along the miles of dilapidated riverfront?.
How do you feel about the "Reinventing the Crescent" proposal?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 4:01 AM

re: reinventing the crescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
How do you feel about the "Reinventing the Crescent" proposal?
I think it's an exciting project but there's some things I'm personally apprehensive about:

1. Some of the drawings leave abandoned warf pilings sticking out of the river that looks like some sort of blight-made-into-art nonsense.
2. Spanish Plaza looks beautiful the way it is, there's no reason to slice it in half with a 45 degree cutaway.
3. There is not enough pedestrian access over the train tracks to make it super convenient so that it's well used in the Bywater/Marigny.
4. Some of the wetlands/ponds/fountains seem a little expensive to maintain. I like the idea of having the Audubon Institute responsible for that, but if it's going to cost serious tax dollars, then let it be grass.
5. The futuristic looking light poles and windmills look like they were designed by some Boston firm (which they were). Could we have something wrought iron and classier? More New Orleans less Anytown,USA.
6. The random jet of water spraying into the river tries to imitate the Chicago River too much, and seems silly for some reason here and should just be scrapped.

In general, I like the idea, but I feel like it's too over-designed. It's more expensive than it needs to be and there are other priorities, therefore making the whole project less likely to happen than had it been a simpler stretch of trees, grass, bike paths and park benches. The planners need to follow the K.I.S.S. principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Last edited by Blitzen; Aug 3, 2010 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:20 PM

Pinkberry's yogurt

rec'd this from the Downtown Developement District

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downtown Welcomes Pinkberry to Canal Street!

Pinkberry, the number one tart frozen yogurt brand, will soon open at 300 Canal Street! Matching the culture of the company to the culture of New Orleans are local owners and entrepreneurs Courtney and Celie Stumm, who also own a Pinkberry at 5601 Magazine Street.

"We love everything that New Orleans is about and know that the palettes of the locals are ready to experience Pinkberry," says Celie.

Set to open on August 20, Pinkberry Canal Street will feature 900 square feet of frozen fun. From the store design to the irresistible flavors and toppings, Pinkberry Canal Street is sure to delight the senses.

"We think New Orleans is a perfect Pinkberry town, and we couldn't have picked better partners than Courtney and Celie Stumm to help us launch there," says Ron Graves, Pinkberry CEO.

DDD President & CEO Kurt Weigle adds, "We could not be more excited to welcome Pinkberry and the Stumm sisters to Canal Street. They join more than 12 other new retailers and are excellent examples of the revitalization and renaissance we see taking place here everyday."

Local fans who want up-to-the-minute news and discount offers should sign up to be a Pinkberry Groupie at www.pinkberry.com/groupie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJ's Expands Downtown Presence with New Location!

Just a few blocks from their Canal Street location, franchisees Shane Songy and Shawn Breaud have opened another PJ's Coffee shop at 135 St. Charles Avenue! The 900 square foot gourmet shop opened on July 1 and is already a hot spot for Downtown workers and visitors who hop on and off the St. Charles Avenue streetcar right outside its doors.

"The streetcar stop at the corner of St. Charles and Common streets was part of the inspiration," says Songy. "We saw this as a good opportunity to bring a little life to a corner that so many locals and visitors walk by each day. New Orleans is all about hospitality, and that's what we serve here."

The PJ's also provides all the food and beverage services to the Royal St. Charles Hotel, to which it is connected.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:49 PM

It will be nice to not have to go all the way Uptown for Pinkberry now, even though I do think that it is overrated.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:56 PM
-

What excited me the most was the creativity of where they are putting the Pinkberry. Its in that random triangle that was never used by the Doubletree. Will be a busy corner and thats what we like to see!

Also, this past weekend went to the grand opening of Eiffel Society. Its a nightclub/art exhibit/restaurant in the building that was the actual Eiffel Tower's restaurant before they took it off and sent it to Nola! Really cool place!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 3:18 AM

Lake Pontchartrain ferry service
hits a snag, keeps moving forward

http://www.slidellsentry.com/article...6442279558.txt

Proposed ferry service across the lake to the northshore from metairie.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 5:24 PM

Cool Ponchartrain Ferry

Heard on the radio that the fare would be $25. I don't see how this is going to be viable for a regular commute. It would certainly be slower and more expensive than driving and then there's the logistics of getting to your final destination when you get off the boat. It'd be fun though.

I've long thought they should put an artificial island in the lake with restaurants, clubs, and whatnot so people with boats could have a destination instead of just joy riding in the open water.

Another observation about the lake. Why the hell is Lakeshore Drive one-way during the week? This makes no sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations