HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
NY needs all the curvy buildings it can get, as most towers are hard lined and rectangular in form.
As they should be, in a city dominated by canyons rectangular and hard lined in form. Curved buildings have their place, and it's nice to have a few. But beyond that, not so much.

Back to the topic at hand, which is 30 Hudson, (not the others), this tower isn't ecaxtly rectangular in form. But in it's own way, it relates very much to the traditional, tapering and set back towers that have crowned the skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Corset was overcomplicated and ungainly.. a party trick not worthy of a world class building and in decades would be considered tacky and dated. The current smooth building is still curvy enough and, more importantly, is darn right stylish and classy. Now, the Equinox tower is the real shame. What a loss, that was my favorite tower of the whole lot of them. If they build that box I'll be pretty pissed off after years of showing a round building. NY needs all the curvy buildings it can get, as most towers are hard lined and rectangular in form.
NY has more curvy buildings than any other US city.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
NY has more curvy buildings than any other US city.
Not really saying much since NYC has more buildings total. I'm sure they have the most rectangular buildings as well.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 6:48 PM
BANNED

What US city, in your view, is inundated with curvy towers?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't compare NY to other US cities 'partner', I compare it to the best cities the world has to offer. But anyway, soon enough Miami will be up there looking at their proposals.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
I worked on a whole section of proposals and under contruction projects for the Miami Metro over at YIMBY: http://www.yimbyforums.com/c/miami

Check it out, as you will see some fine architecture. A bit of everything from curves to boxes and much more and you will see projects not listed here. But this is an NYC thread and talking about other cities is usually frowned upon just as a heads up. Also, keep in mind that many of these developments are also outside of the city limits.

But also, in terms of curvy architecture, there are a couple of midrises that do that. Browse through the mid rise thread; some of the earlier pages contain curby architecture.
Quote:
Now, the Equinox tower is the real shame. What a loss, that was my favorite tower of the whole lot of them. If they build that box I'll be pretty pissed off after years of showing a round building. NY needs all the curvy buildings it can get, as most towers are hard lined and rectangular in form.
Yea I agree with the Equinox tower. I personally wasn't a fan of the Corset. It didn't really fit in with the other proposals IMO. Aesthetically of course.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:47 PM

I just got back from my first visit to NY. While I love the mix of old and new, this office tower (along with the other projects) will be a welcome sight. A city like NY should have a modern office complex that is nothing but glass and class.

On a side note, I'd also love it if NY had more lit crowns. There are vast stretches of dimly lit buildings that are almost indistinguishable at night, which made it difficult to take good evening photos of the skyline with my camera....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
As they should be, in a city dominated by canyons rectangular and hard lined in form. Curved buildings have their place, and it's nice to have a few. But beyond that, not so much.

Back to the topic at hand, which is 30 Hudson, (not the others), this tower isn't ecaxtly rectangular in form. But in it's own way, it relates very much to the traditional, tapering and set back towers that have crowned the skyline.
its not rectangular. its more of a shard/broken glass design we are seeing in Asian and European cities. i.e. the Shard, London or the kingdom tower, Jeddah. one or two of them are ok in the city, but if you have too many the skyline will look empty and not dense. NYC already has a good foundation tho so i wouldn't wory

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:10 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Think about my statement again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
I just got back from my first visit to NY. While I love the mix of old and new, this office tower (along with the other projects) will be a welcome sight. A city like NY should have a modern office complex that is nothing but glass and class.
This complex won't really be that though. It will be a mix.

Quote:
On a side note, I'd also love it if NY had more lit crowns.
That's being done as we speak.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:05 PM
New Yorker for life

November 24, 2014

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 8:08 PM
FriskyDingo

Its too bad, I cannot find an Earthcam or webcam of this site. I would love to see an aerial view as they progress. Such an interestingly complicated site. Anyone else know of one?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
Its too bad, I cannot find an Earthcam or webcam of this site. I would love to see an aerial view as they progress. Such an interestingly complicated site. Anyone else know of one?
Please be patient. Give it some time. You will see it very soon. They will tell you when.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Please be patient. Give it some time. You will see it very soon. They will tell you when.
What? Who is they?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the impact this has once it gets a bit taller.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/12/03/hudson-...od-to-vertigo/

Hudson Yards good to Vertigo

By Lois Weiss
December 3, 2014

Quote:
The thrill is coming to the outdoor observatory at the 1,200-foot tall 30 Hudson Yards.

The upcoming 2.6 million square-foot skyscraper that will be the new home of Time Warner will boast a 1,000-foot high outdoor observation center — and, we’ve learned, an additional “thrill device.”

Jay Cross, president of Related Hudson Yards, which is developing the multibuilding mixed-use West Side project, piqued our curiosity in November when he said the yet-to-be-revealed attraction was available on cruise ships.

“You can choose to pay for it separately and crap your pants,” Cross said during an off-the-cuff speech at the Young Mens’/Womens’ Real Estate luncheon in November. He has not commented on it further, nor would a Related spokeswoman.

We began our search and soon crossed off the leisurely North Star. This is the new glass-enclosed capsule that quietly hovers 303 feet above and around the new Royal Caribbean cruise ship, Quantum of the Seas. The ship just happened to take its maiden voyage from Bayonne, NJ, last month. While the North Star brings riders higher than the Statue of Liberty, frankly, it’s not that scary.

What we’ve learned is that the Hudson Yards’ observation deck — slated to become the tallest outdoor deck in the city — could have a glass walkway that may slant and tilt for even more chills and thrills.

In Chicago, the Willis Tower’s Skydeck and the John Hancock Tower’s 360 Chicago have competing glass walkway experiences. The Willis Tower’s “Ledge” tilts out to provide an even scarier 30-degree-angle view.

My only experience with a glass walkway was at the top of the W Hotel in Dallas during a tour of its now-shuttered nightclub, Ghost Bar. While we can stand unfazed on the edges of an under-construction World Trade Center, climb on the shaky outside ladder of a skyscraper or perch on any parapet in town, we crawled and clung for dear life to this simple glass deck.

Such a “ride” on the Hudson Yards deck could become a real draw for those seeking an adrenaline rush.

Cross tossed out some other interesting factoids about the Hudson Yards project during his chat. The sculpture by Thomas Heatherwick, reported earlier to have been commissioned at a cost of $75 million, will be 150 feet high, which works out to $500,000 a foot.

Cross expects this to become the central meeting place for visitors and is the focus of the 4 acres of public space near the equally iconic Culture Shed and its moving roof.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:59 PM

the author got his buildings mixed up... the hancock has the feature where the glass tilts out...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 7:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Seems there has to be more than just "the view" these days, as evidenced by plans for the new WTC deck. I wonder exactly what will be planned at 1 Vanderbilt's deck...

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...ill_device.php

30 Hudson Yards Tower Will Feature Mysterious 'Thrill Device'

December 3, 2014
by Jeremiah Budin

Quote:
The Posts' Lois Weiss reports that 30 Hudson Yards, the Hudson Yards megaproject's second tower and eventual home of Time Warner, will feature a mysterious "thrill device." Related Hudson Yards Jay Cross told attendees at a Young Mens'/Womens' Real Estate luncheon last month that "You can choose to pay for it separately and crap your pants." He has remained tight-lipped ever since, leaving Weiss to speculate that the attraction will be a glass walkway connected to the tower's 1,000-foot-high outdoor observation center, similar to the ones in the Willis Tower and John Hancock Tower in Chicago.

That sounds good and all, but we're still hoping for one of those bungee slingshots. Or maybe a zip line between 30 Hudson Yards and 10 Hudson Yards? Come on, Related, you know you want to.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ds-thrill-ride

Hudson Yards thrill ride

AMANDA FUNG
DECEMBER 3, 2014

Quote:
Related is keeping mum on the details of the feature, but the developer did talk about the 150-foot tall Thomas Heatherwick sculpture that will become the focal point of the public space at its Hudson Yards new development. In recent years, observatory decks have been a popular addition to city spires as a way to draw visitors.

I'm also interested to finally see what that 150 ft sculpture will look like.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 8:42 PM

^^^ I'm thinking it may be a capsule bubble like the new Quantum of the Seas cruise ship.

http://shipmateblog.com/wp-content/u...rth-star-2.jpg

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 9:57 PM

maybe a launch tower that could double as a spire!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
^^^ I'm thinking it may be a capsule bubble like the new Quantum of the Seas cruise ship.

Maybe they should put up something like that ride at the Stratosphere, not that there's a chance in hell I would get on it...(and it won't look so different from the new window washing arms seen on the newer towers)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/58248667

Meanwhile, some people just can't let go...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fred-b...b_6228674.html

Empire State Building: Still Top of the Heap?

11/28/2014
by Fred Bernstein

Quote:
n September 2001, just a few days after the World Trade Center was destroyed, I found myself outside a Broadway theater, looking up at what was, once again, the tallest building in New York. But it was a foggy night, and for a split second, part of the Empire State Building disappeared from view. Reflexively, I panicked.

Then the fog lifted, and I was fine. I needed to see the Empire State Building with my own eyes.

I still do.

But 13 years later, a spate of new buildings is getting in the way. The arrivistes, including a 60-foot-wide tower with one apartment to a floor, threaten to turn the iconic New York skyline into just another urban jumble.

New York is Gotham, Metropolis, and Emerald City, a man-made mountain range with Everest at its center. Its skyline is a kind of ziggurat, reaching its peak at 34th Street and 5th Avenue.

Countless films open with aerial shots of the Empire State Building. "Do we want to compromise that," asks James Sanders, the architect and author of Celluloid Skyline: New York and the Movies, "especially in a highly visual, highly iconographic culture?"

The present skyline is "recognizable, familiar, and unbelievably alluring," says Sanders. "And if it's gone, it's gone." Indeed, with a spate of supertalls obscuring the Empire State Building, the only movies with shots of the Manhattan skyline will be vintage ones.

New York will have diminished its brand and hidden the most famous logo in the world.

Right now, at least four buildings taller than the Empire State Building are under construction in Manhattan, like tent poles that are higher than the tent. And, if present trends continue, more will follow.

The first of the new supertalls is 1 World Trade Center, which restores the skyline, more or less, to its pre-9/11 state. Because it is symbolically important to New Yorkers, and because it is three miles south of the Empire State Building, anchoring its own cluster of skyscrapers, it gets a pass. (Manhattan has been a bipolar island for most of the last 40 years.)

But the other buildings have no such raison d'etre. One of the tallest is 432 Park Avenue at 57th Street, a gridded concrete structure expected to reach 1,397 feet. Just to the west is 107 West 57th Street, with a stepped south façade; at 1,350 feet, it will be more than 20 times as high as it is wide. Further west, One57, with its curved blue glass façade, climbs to just over 1,000 feet. And 217 West 57th, the so-called Nordstrom Tower, is expected to hit almost 1,500 feet (not counting a 300-foot spire). Though they are slim, together they will make the Empire State Building (ESB) invisible from swaths of upper Manhattan where it had long been part of the scenery. If you do manage to catch a glimpse of the ESB, it may look like it has shrunk.

Most troubling is the planned 30 Hudson Yards, an angular 1,300-foot-tall building (far wider than the buildings on 57th Street), with a cantilevered observation deck. It is one of 16 skyscrapers planned for the Hudson Yards development, which is directly west of the Empire State Building. The phalanx will block views of the ESB from large swaths of the west side of Manhattan. (Because the ESB is narrower on its east and west than on its north and south façades, it appears to be a loftier, and perhaps more beautiful, spire from those directions.) From across the river in New Jersey, the iconic tower will be just one of the boys.

New Yorkers may be, literally, lost without it. Since 1931, the Empire State Building has been the city's GPS. Do you need to go uptown or downtown, east or west -- find the Empire State Building and you'll know which way to turn. It is to New Yorkers what the North Star is to navigators: not only a help, but a comfort.

What can be done to avoid letting the foothills block the mountain? Assuming it's not too late, the city should limit new construction for a mile around the ESB, to 1,000 feet. (It's true that a building doesn't have to be higher than the Empire State Building to hide it. When the fussy Republic Bank building at Fifth Avenue and 40th Street was erected in the 1980s, it was reviled, and rightly so, for blocking views of the Empire State Building from much of upper Fifth Avenue. A law that varies height limits according to distances from the ESB would be a more nuanced solution.)

Height limits have worked in other cities. In Washington, DC, no building can be taller than the Capitol dome (or be more than 20 feet taller than the street it fronts is wide). City leaders, who have defended the height limit against developer-led attempts to overturn it, understand the Capitol is the capital city's crown. In Paris, restrictive zoning lets the Eiffel Tower retain its pre-eminence

New York City's crown deserves no less. To visitors, it's what makes New York New York, the true top of the heap. To locals, its meaning is more complex. From my rooftop in Brooklyn, it still serves as the reassuring presence I needed in the wake of 9/11. Somehow, the building is both anchor and beacon, pinning the city to the earth while helping it reach the stars. Nothing should stand in its way.

This is written by someone who has no idea of how the skyline works, and no idea of how and why a city and it's skyline evolves.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
What can be done to avoid letting the foothills block the mountain? Assuming it's not too late, the city should limit new construction for a mile around the ESB, to 1,000 feet. (It's true that a building doesn't have to be higher than the Empire State Building to hide it. When the fussy Republic Bank building at Fifth Avenue and 40th Street was erected in the 1980s, it was reviled, and rightly so, for blocking views of the Empire State Building from much of upper Fifth Avenue. A law that varies height limits according to distances from the ESB would be a more nuanced solution.)
Was this writer paid off by Malkin? Thats like most of Midtown!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive