HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:43 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 9:49 PM

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 11:12 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:12 PM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:44 AM

I drove past this today and now that portions appear above ground it is surprising how large it is. A very long development along South Park.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I drove past this today and now that portions appear above ground it is surprising how large it is. A very long development along South Park.
It's a bit unusual in that it's a large development ($140M) that is not in a prominent location in terms of pedestrian traffic. It's hard to miss the Nova Centre or library, but this one is easy to miss unless you drive into downtown along Bell Road.

It's not likely but the land in this area could be so much better used, and if it were there would be a lot more activity. Imagine for example if the natural history museum were expanded and moved to the Citadel grounds next to Bell/Sackville. Then Bell Road could be realigned and there would be room to replace the Wanderer Grounds with a stadium.

The design of nearby Citadel High was a big mistake. So much development around the Commons is added haphazardly in a style that suggests that nobody knows what to do with the land. Yet it is very valuable.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
So much development around the Commons is added haphazardly in a style that suggests that nobody knows what to do with the land. Yet it is very valuable.
You should come out to the Halifax Common Master Plan meetings!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one's from back in November:

Source

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:48 PM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:23 PM
Fizzix geek

YMCA, Hospice Halifax looking for millions from municipality

By: Zane Woodford Metro Published on Wed Feb 21 2018

Quote:
The second presentation at the committee on Wednesday was from the YMCA, about its new building at the corner of South Park and Sackville streets. HRM’s Design Review Committee approved the project, which also includes residential space being built by a private developer, in 2016.

At the time, YMCA thought it wouldn’t need HRM money, but circumstances have changed, and the total budget has risen 20 per cent to $37 million. The YMCA said that happened because of general inflation, the Canadian dollar, and because Halifax is a “successful city,” with labour and materials becoming more in demand and therefore more costly. The YMCA is asking HRM for $1.5 million in funding from the municipality to cover part of the rising budget gap ahead of the project's completion next year.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax...icipality.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:36 PM

$1.5 million? Bah, mere pocket change for the barons at HRM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 12:33 AM

The Curve building (on the south end of the site) getting first glass.

by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:40 PM

Nice to see the cladding start going up.

This rendering below surfaced last week and had me a little worried but what is going up looks nicer than what is in the rendering. It also seems to lack the distinctive curve of the front of the tower that it is named for in this rendering...

Image from https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/curve-at-south-park

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This rendering below surfaced last week and had me a little worried but what is going up looks nicer than what is in the rendering. It also seems to lack the distinctive curve of the front of the tower that it is named for in this rendering...
I really like how the podium massing is consistent with the Paramount but the style is different. This area has developed a scale that's a little grander than what you see in most parts of downtown Halifax.

I wish the Spring Garden side of the gardens were more like this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64183...7i13312!8i6656

In Halifax a lot of people argue that smaller buildings and setbacks should be created around parks but that is a big mistake. Urban parks are better when their periphery is well-defined by construction and when there is a lot of activity around the margins.

Boston Common area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.35261...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.35682...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
I really like how the podium massing is consistent with the Paramount but the style is different. This area has developed a scale that's a little grander than what you see in most parts of downtown Halifax.

I wish the Spring Garden side of the gardens were more like this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64183...7i13312!8i6656

In Halifax a lot of people argue that smaller buildings and setbacks should be created around parks but that is a big mistake. Urban parks are better when their periphery is well-defined by construction and when there is a lot of activity around the margins.

Boston Common area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.35261...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.35682...7i13312!8i6656
It would be great if Public Gardens,6 ha, was as large as Boston Common, 20 ha. Boston Garden is another 10 ha.
Dartmouth Common when granted was 60 ha (150 acres), now it is just a small fraction of that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 9:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
It would be great if Public Gardens,6 ha, was as large as Boston Common, 20 ha. Boston Garden is another 10 ha.
Dartmouth Common when granted was 60 ha (150 acres), now it is just a small fraction of that.
If they were that large though, would the land be used effectively, and would it be as well-maintained? Boston is a much larger city than Halifax is. I have never been to any of these Halifax parks on a day when they were so full of people that there wasn't enough room for people to enjoy themselves comfortably. On the contrary, there are a few parts of the Halifax Common and Citadel grounds that look like there is too much land that isn't well-maintained or put to good use.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Halifax's Common is a lot larger, overall, than Boston's though, for a much smaller city. The North Common alone is 17 HA. Start adding up all the other common space and you've got a lot more land than Boston has.

The Commons were originally 95 HA; I know the Friends would disagree, but to allot that much land to open space in the centre of the city would be nuts.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 5:50 PM
The New Republic

Quote:

Agree. That side of Spring Garden Road opposite the Public Gardens could do with a strong apron of buildings with retail at the bottom. It's always felt very underwhelming and a dead block. There's no reason why the retail on Spring Garden Road couldn't continue to Summer Street. With the Public Gardens across the street that stretch would be great for cafes, patios, etc.

Maybe it could eventually have a strong apron of buildings (with retail at the bottom) all the way to Robie.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:52 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. That side of Spring Garden Road opposite the Public Gardens could do with a strong apron of buildings with retail at the bottom. It's always felt very underwhelming and a dead block. There's no reason why the retail on Spring Garden Road couldn't continue to Summer Street. With the Public Gardens across the street that stretch would be great for cafes, patios, etc.

Maybe it could eventually have a strong apron of buildings (with retail at the bottom) all the way to Robie.
It is a good idea, but imagine the push back? I mean, look at the opposition to Quinpool and Robie.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:02 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
It is a good idea, but imagine the push back? I mean, look at the opposition to Quinpool and Robie.
Those people can't keep Halifax frozen in time forever. All they will achieve is a delay of the inevitable. Halifax is a growing city and the pressure to develop will eventually win the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth