HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Anyone else notice the "views" section is not of Rainnie but rather where Seton Ridge will be located?
That piqued my interest too, I didn't think the Ghosn's were involved in that project, unless it was a mistake by the drone company.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 3:59 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 2:50 PM
opinionated so and so

FYI This should be changed from 5445 Rainnie Drive to 1903 Gottingen Street.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
LOL - I heard some vaguely racist/classist rumblings about this harming the "marketability" of the building.

Interesting that Gottingen was chosen as the name, not Duke. Is there an historic reason for one versus the other?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
LOL - I heard some vaguely racist/classist rumblings about this harming the "marketability" of the building.
Yeah, the Ghosns want the street to remain Rainnie Drive, so that the proximity to downtown is more obvious. Whereas if the street is named Gottingen, it's not as clear that the location is central. That's their official reason, and I'm sure it's true, but there are probably other, unspoken concerns about the class and race connotations of "Gottingen", which is more troubling.

Whatever the impulse is, the city shouldn't be naming streets to improve the marketability of condo projects, so I hope the renaming goes ahead as planned.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:28 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Interesting that Gottingen was chosen as the name, not Duke. Is there an historic reason for one versus the other?
It would have had to bring Duke up to Cogswell, or bring Gottingen down to Brunswick, to have it end at a 4 way intersection. That would actually rename two bits of street. Instead rename Rainnie to Brunswick, that is a much smaller segment of street, brings it to a clean 4 way. Leaving the transition at the t junction with no stop on the new realigned road would have been against policy.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:12 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
the cities street naming policy makes no sense here. The names should remain. You added a hook to Rainnie Drive with a curb, and a stop sign, but it still flows straight to Brunswick and Duke. the 90 degree turn (well 70 anyway) off Gottingen is a change in direction and is simply adding confusion.

it also messes up the street numbering grid, since in this case a east/west directional street will be numbered as if it ran north/south.

I dont buy the racist argument. It appears to be the case for the Novalea renaming, but in this case Rannie drive has a hundred + year association with being the foot of Citadel Hill, which Gottingen does not have.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:16 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Leaving the transition at the t junction with no stop on the new realigned road would have been against policy.
wont there be a requirement for a stop there in the future? the separated bike lane on Rannie is bi-directional, but there will be a need westbound bike traffic to cross at the "T" to reach the separated lane when the westbound lane is completed from Duke to Gottingen.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 9:08 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
wont there be a requirement for a stop there in the future? the separated bike lane on Rannie is bi-directional, but there will be a need westbound bike traffic to cross at the "T" to reach the separated lane when the westbound lane is completed from Duke to Gottingen.
Maybe, but the renaming was approved by Council last night, so it is done.

Rainne was not a street 100 years ago. It was built in the 1950s or 60s. It was named after a fellow who died in the war in 1945. There was no such street in 1941 - https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...ad3aef3746def1 There was a road or path in the military grounds but not a public street with that straight alignment etc etc.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but the renaming was approved by Council last night, so it is done.

Rainne was not a street 100 years ago. It was built in the 1950s or 60s. It was named after a fellow who died in the war in 1945. There was no such street in 1941 - https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...ad3aef3746def1 There was a road or path in the military grounds but not a public street with that straight alignment etc etc.
Okay, but, why rename it now? What was the point after 100 years?

Isn't there far more important priorities?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Okay, but, why rename it now? What was the point after 100 years?

Isn't there far more important priorities?
It makes sense since to rename it and should be renamed for continuity and public safety reasoning in respect to emergency response.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 3:40 AM

Quote:
It would have had to bring Duke up to Cogswell, or bring Gottingen down to Brunswick, to have it end at a 4 way intersection. That would actually rename two bits of street. Instead rename Rainnie to Brunswick, that is a much smaller segment of street, brings it to a clean 4 way. Leaving the transition at the t junction with no stop on the new realigned road would have been against policy.
You and your colleagues should be ashamed of what took place at Council, not once was the origin of the name Rainnie used during a discussion of what was scheduled to be discussed 'in camera'. I can assure you that if the documents had been made public on Friday you would have heard quite a public outcry.
The road was built in 1947 to alleviate east-west traffic and was named Gavin Rainnie Drive in memory of Major Gavin Rainnie who died on D-Day 1944. Council minutes in 1953 show a senior staff member telling council that the street sign needs to be painted 'Gavin Rainnie Drive' not 'Rainnie Drive.'
Surely you knew the origin of the name.
Surely you knew that for many years the Royal Canadian Legion, Nunavut Command had its HQ office at the beginning of Rainnie Drive at the roundabout.
I note the staff, not for the first time, have been making decision that belong to council and that last night council formally named 952 streets that staff had named without any authority.
Council hid the mistake in the two motions you moved.
I have notified Legion HQ of this disgraceful and unwarranted action.
Ironic that council has been keen to name ferries after soldiers who died in Afghanistan and marked their deaths with significant publicity and ceremony, only to then turn around and forget one whose family were and continue to be well known in Halifax. The first name 'Gavin' has been passed down through many generations.
It is not too late to reverse the mistake. An apology to relatives should also be offered.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:37 AM

There seem to be far too many inflammatory personal attacks being made in these forums lately. Off topic ones at that.

I suppose it doesn't involve me so it's none of my business, but I'll be at least the second person this week to suggest the mods do something about CM's behaviour.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
There seem to be far too many inflammatory personal attacks being made in these forums lately. Off topic ones at that.

I suppose it doesn't involve me so it's none of my business, but I'll be at least the second person this week to suggest the mods do something about CM's behaviour.
Tell me which parts you regard as 'inflammatory personal attacks' and I'll consider removing them.
Why is it off topic ?
I was at the meeting when the two items were whisked through. The documents were not available to the public.
Correspondence from the solicitor for the developer was not discussed.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
You and your colleagues should be ashamed of what took place at Council, not once was the origin of the name Rainnie used during a discussion of what was scheduled to be discussed 'in camera'. I can assure you that if the documents had been made public on Friday you would have heard quite a public outcry.
The road was built in 1947 to alleviate east-west traffic and was named Gavin Rainnie Drive in memory of Major Gavin Rainnie who died on D-Day 1944. Council minutes in 1953 show a senior staff member telling council that the street sign needs to be painted 'Gavin Rainnie Drive' not 'Rainnie Drive.'
Surely you knew the origin of the name.
Surely you knew that for many years the Royal Canadian Legion, Nunavut Command had its HQ office at the beginning of Rainnie Drive at the roundabout.
I note the staff, not for the first time, have been making decision that belong to council and that last night council formally named 952 streets that staff had named without any authority.
Council hid the mistake in the two motions you moved.
I have notified Legion HQ of this disgraceful and unwarranted action.
Ironic that council has been keen to name ferries after soldiers who died in Afghanistan and marked their deaths with significant publicity and ceremony, only to then turn around and forget one whose family were and continue to be well known in Halifax. The first name 'Gavin' has been passed down through many generations.
It is not too late to reverse the mistake. An apology to relatives should also be offered.
A Colin May polemic I can get behind.

I mean, the renaming just seems like a pointless exercise after so many years now.

But if this is the history, then its even more of a problem.

As Colin wrote, Major Rainnie died on June 6, 1944. That was the day, of course, of the Allied Invasion on D-Day. Records indicate he died in the Normandy Landings at Juno Beach. That means, he would have been a member of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division and would have served under Major General Rod Keller, and landed at Juno to link up with British forces that had landed at Sword beach, and push inland to secure air fields near Caen, France. (I've always found it incredible that none of the Allied Forces that landed at Normandy on D-Day achieved their first day objectives, though the Canadians, it is said, came the closest to doing so).

Maj. Rainnie died on Juno Beach, and his remains, like most, were never repatriated. He is buried in the Bény-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery, located not far from Reviers and Caen.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
A Colin May polemic I can get behind.

I mean, the renaming just seems like a pointless exercise after so many years now.

But if this is the history, then its even more of a problem.

As Colin wrote, Major Rainnie died on June 6, 1944. That was the day, of course, of the Allied Invasion on D-Day. Records indicate he died in the Normandy Landings at Juno Beach. That means, he would have been a member of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division and would have served under Major General Rod Keller, and landed at Juno to link up with British forces that had landed at Sword beach, and push inland to secure air fields near Caen, France. (I've always found it incredible that none of the Allied Forces that landed at Normandy on D-Day achieved their first day objectives, though the Canadians, it is said, came the closest to doing so).

Maj. Rainnie died on Juno Beach, and his remains, like most, were never repatriated. He is buried in the Bény-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery, located not far from Reviers and Caen.

X2. Thank you Mr. May and CF for the background and very useful information.

The son of Mr. Rainnie, also named Gavin Rainnie, was a prominent businessman in the insurance business in this city for decades. One wonders what the family thinks.

This is both shameful and nonsensical on the part of Council. One wonders what they could possibly have been thinking.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 12:50 PM

Just to make sure everyone is discussing the same facts:

- Rainnie Drive still exists
- The only portion that was renamed was the portion from Gottingen to Brunswick.
- It was done because the intersection of Rainnie and Gottingen has been redesigned and Rainnie now terminates at that intersection with a stop sign.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Just to make sure everyone is discussing the same facts:

- Rainnie Drive still exists
- The only portion that was renamed was the portion from Gottingen to Brunswick.
- It was done because the intersection of Rainnie and Gottingen has been redesigned and Rainnie now terminates at that intersection with a stop sign.
Exactly!

I can't understand why people are getting in such a huff over such a trivial thing. Move on...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Exactly!

I can't understand why people are getting in such a huff over such a trivial thing. Move on...
Probably because such a trivial matter is a waste of resources/time when we all know there are far more important items to be focusing on. Like donairs, for example.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Probably because such a trivial matter is a waste of resources/time when we all know there are far more important items to be focusing on. Like donairs, for example.
Yes well donairs are not to trivial matter ..it is a very important matter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth