HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:52 PM

Deleted

Last edited by azsunsurfer; Jul 13, 2023 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Nice redevelopment proposed for the southeast corner of Main and Country Club right by the light rail. Would be nice if the Bailey's Corner breaks ground at the same time.

file:///C:/Users/HP-MINI-PC-JOE/Downloads/Conceptual%20Drawings.pdf
Whatever you are doing here - it does not work.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 9:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Some renderings of the Anton development just east of Fiesta Mall (where the Best Buy and Borders originally was)

file:///C:/Users/HP-MINI-PC-JOE/Downloads/Conceptual%20Drawings.pdf
Don't think we can access your personal computer

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 12:24 AM

It's from the City of Mesa's site, so that's strange. Probably because the renderings are embedded files within the PDFs.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 3:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
It's from the City of Mesa's site, so that's strange. Probably because the renderings are embedded files within the PDFs.
Do you have the link to the site? I'm not familiar with Mesa's website.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Do you have the link to the site? I'm not familiar with Mesa's website.
Here is the render:

And here is the site (it's very similar to Tempe's development map):

https://gis.mesaaz.gov/storymaps/developmentsites/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:39 PM

Demo is complete at 29 W. Main in DT Mesa, slated for 'Zen City.' Here's a picture I took a couple weeks ago when demo was about half done:

Planned development is 'ZenCity,' which apparently is a first of its kind development using modular pre-fab ADU-type structures made by 'Zennihome,' which are made to be able to be stacked together like LEGO bricks:

Zennihome website:

https://zennihome.com/products/zencity-for-developers

Always room for error when you're the first at anything, but if it works it seems pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 9:54 PM

I cant believe there is even a market for this stuff in phoenix, The IDea that You'd need a micro apartment in Mesa of all places hurts my brain.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 10:35 PM
Skyriser

Derby got built, but it looks like they're having trouble renting the units out.. no other reason to offer a steep discount in a housing crisis.

I'd say these units are supposed to be cheaper by design, but cramming expensive luxury in a furnished studio seems a weird sell. Studios are supposed to be cheap, not something warranting a premium regardless of the location.

And yeah, doing this in Mesa is extra weird. I can see this in Tempe to carve out a niche for students but downtown Mesa makes no sense.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 11:05 PM

Zennihome is apparently the latest venture by Bob Worsley, former state senator from Mesa and probably best known for founding and selling SkyMall, which probably explains the 'why Mesa' question. Haven't been able to see who owns 29 W. Main, but I would guess there's some connection there.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I cant believe there is even a market for this stuff in phoenix, The IDea that You'd need a micro apartment in Mesa of all places hurts my brain.
This is due to the ASU 'campus' that's going up in downtown Mesa. Taking advantage of demand for student housing. Downtown Mesa could be nice - however, the sidewalks literally roll up at 5pm on the weekends. Going down to the Nile to see a show and almost nothing is open around there - especially on a Sunday night.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 11:25 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Zennihome is apparently the latest venture by Bob Worsley, former state senator from Mesa and probably best known for founding and selling SkyMall, which probably explains the 'why Mesa' question. Haven't been able to see who owns 29 W. Main, but I would guess there's some connection there.
The owner/developer of 29 W Main is https://www.caliberco.com/

Usually I just go to https://maps.mcassessor.maricopa.gov/ and either the property mailing address or the deed will give an address, then do a search of the address to figure out who really owns it because the LLC is almost always useless on its own.

Doesn't appear to be any overt connection between Zennihome and the developer though.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 11:04 PM

While Oovio is moving forward at Sycamore Station, the project northwest of it along Dobson seems to have stalled. They had fenced and graded it but there appears to have been a stop in work. Anyone know what's going on with that one? I forgot the name of it.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 10:41 PM

Demolition of Mesa's once-iconic Fiesta Mall site underway

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ll-begins.html

Quote:
The demolition of the now shuttered Fiesta Mall in Mesa started Monday, the site’s owner, Verde Investments Inc., announced.

Verde Investments, which is owned by Valley businessman Ernest Garcia II — the biggest shareholder of Tempe online vehicle retailer Carvana Co. — controls the 80-acre site at the southeast corner of Alma School Road and Southern Avenue in Mesa.

Verde submitted a pre-application to the city of Mesa earlier this year, requesting a zoning change, which the company said would offer if and the city of Mesa “the maximum possible flexibility as the redevelopment process evolves.” While specific plans have not been submitted to the city, Verde said the site could fit as many as 4,000 new apartments and homes, plus a variety of retail and commercial components.

Verde has secured Nelsen Partners, which has an office in Scottsdale, as the architect for the project. Nelsen has worked on several high-profile projects in the past few years, including the ongoing redevelopment of Paradise Valley Mall.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:47 AM

I'm 33 and Fiesta Mall was my absolute favorite mall to go with my family when I was a kid. The whole fiesta district was a great shopping experience back in the day and there were so many stores and businesses. Kind of a bittersweet moment for me to see it being demolished but it's for the best.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:05 PM
Skyriser

I just wish they did this a long, long time ago. It was showing its age when I was an MCC student 20 years ago and has been declining ever since, holding up the overall development of the area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
I'm 33 and Fiesta Mall was my absolute favorite mall to go with my family when I was a kid. The whole fiesta district was a great shopping experience back in the day and there were so many stores and businesses. Kind of a bittersweet moment for me to see it being demolished but it's for the best.
Shout out to Ski Pro.

But yeah I went into the mall maybe 5-10 years ago on a lark and it was eerie walking around with nearly everything vacant. Felt like Dawn of the Dead.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 8:47 PM

For all the "work" Mesa has put into the Fiesta area it is a bit annoying that they've only attracted drive-thrus to Southern (Currently the new Raising Canes, soon to be joined by Chik-fil-A and Wendy's). Seems kinda pointless now to have spent all that money on Southern Ave...but that is the realistic economic conditions for the area.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 4:45 PM

Looks like my question has been answered...looks like a change in the development team and/or strategy...

StarPoint Properties to build Dobson Station, a 245-unit multihousing development in Mesa to be completed in 2024.

JLL Capital Markets, a commercial real estate and investment management company, secured $52 million in construction financing for the project through a debt fund on behalf of StarPoint Properties, which is headquartered in Beverly Hills.

“StarPoint is pleased to commence construction on this transformative, transit-oriented project. The City of Mesa has been great to work with and supports an ideal mix of new jobs and housing. We are further blessed to have the support of our lender, and a strong JLL team who helped drive this home,” said Sandy Schmid, Director of Acquisitions and Development at StarPoint Properties, in a statement.

The property is slated to be completed in 2023. Upon completion, Dobson Station will be a four-story complex featuring studio, one- and two-bedroom units. Amenities will include a fitness center, clubhouse, coworking facility and group kitchen. Dobson Station is located at 139 North Dobson Road, directly adjacent to a Safeway grocery store and within immediate proximity to Tempe Marketplace.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 9:34 PM

Food hall planned for downtown Chandler

https://kjzz.org/content/1853643/foo...isolation=true

Quote:
A corner lot that’s sat empty for more than a decade is expected to be home to a new dining concept in downtown Chandler.

Kim Moyers, Chandler’s cultural development director, says the proposal fits the city’s vision for its growing downtown, "It’ll have a central bar location but six to twelve restaurants that’s surrounding it. And these are going to be very small restaurants, so when you think of start-ups or small concepts." She said it will have an open concept so people can choose their restaurant of choice and meet in the middle to eat together. The two-story project is planned on less than half an acre at the southwestern corner of Chicago and Oregon streets.

The City Council has approved the initial proposal from JEMBJACD, LLC, but it must go through a rezoning process before construction can start next year. In a prepared statement, Jeremy McClymonds with JEMBJACD said, “It will not be specifically a sports bar, but a welcoming gathering spot with wall-to-wall televisions broadcasting every sport, every day. Our venue will also be an entertainment hub, offering live music and engaging entertainment multiple times a week. It will be a captivating destination where remarkable culinary experiences, entertainment, and community engagement intersect in perfect harmony.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest