HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
You guys have to realize, building a foundation for a 16 acre site is going to take a long time. Were not talking about your typical small glass residential highrise. This development is immensly vast. I rather them take their time to build a quality item. I garuntee once this reaches street level, the towers will skyrocket. Its always the case with every tower: long time to reach street level, but rises quickly. Not to mention how complex and delicate this site is with those slurry walls.
I understand everyone is growing tired of waiting (as am I), but lets be a little more constructive on this thread rather than polluting it with crap. The damn thing is getting built, lets be happy!

I imagine that because it took close to five years to start getting the Freedom Tower off paper and on the ground, people at times might "lose it" because of the fact that it's going to take at least until about 2011 to see the finished product.

Which is probably why the other towers will start being built almost simutaneously so that they will all be soaring close to the same time and so as not to drag out the construction process for what might have been yet another decade or so.

7 WTC seems to have sprouted up pretty quickly once it got started. But maybe because that building was the last one to fall, so I think Silverstein wanted it built first.

To coin the phrase; time waits for no one, in this case, we are all being forced to wait this thing out regardless, but at least Silverstein and the officials, along with the PA, has worked out a plan last spring to accelerate
the sprouting of the towers and to ease the time frame and not make it seem so painfully slow.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 6:34 PM

was it ever figured out if the beams were in the right place

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 6:44 PM
BANNED

They had better be! Otherwise I don't even want to think what might happen.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 7:34 PM
World Machine

I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Knowing Pataki, let's hope that they AREN'T in the wrong spots!

After all, he did all of this with the tower for cheap sensationalism and to make himself look good.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 10:03 PM

The land that 7 WTC sits on isnt owned by Port Authority. That is the only reason it got built so quickly again.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
The land that 7 WTC sits on isnt owned by Port Authority. That is the only reason it got built so quickly again.

And I think also, that no one was in it when it fell, therefore, no one died in it. The occupants, whatever number of them were in there, had screwed out of there long before it collapsed.

Last edited by Daquan13; Mar 17, 2007 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 5:13 AM
Master of My Domain

Mayor Nagen was right about this project!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 6:05 AM

They are in the right place. Trust me.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Also, there was the matter of the power station that was needed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Which is probably why the other towers will start being built almost simutaneously so that they will all be soaring close to the same time and so as not to drag out the construction process for what might have been yet another decade or so.

7 WTC seems to have sprouted up pretty quickly once it got started. But maybe because that building was the last one to fall, so I think Silverstein wanted it built first.
Those other WTC towers are right on time (although the PA could have speeded things up by building the new "tub" sooner). The reason they'll be rising the same time as the Freedom Tower is because Freedom had so many delays.

Don't forget that when the original WTC was constructed, the tub had to come first. That's what's taking place now on the eastern half of the site, due to be completed in about 9 months. As he has already proven with 7 WTC, once Silverstein is given the land to build on, the other towers will rise.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 3:41 PM
BANNED

But what puzzles me is why wasn't a tub built on the east side of Ground Zero before the Twins were built? I thought they had already done that before, seeing that the land must be kept dry.

Yeah, that was a smart thing they did last spring. Otherwise, like you said, the shorter towers might have gone through Freedom Tower-like delays.

Last edited by Daquan13; Apr 15, 2007 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 5:57 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Why didn't they build a tub on the Eastern half of the WTC site in the 60's?
Because the Eastern half of the WTC site had stumpy office towers less than 10 floors occupying it, not 110 storey monsters.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 6:06 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Because the Eastern half of the WTC site had stumpy office towers less than 10 floors occupying it, not 110 storey monsters.
Exactly, there was no need for that due to what was being built above it. Of course now thats a different story, therefore the TUB is required.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:57 AM
let's work together

Quote:

Considering that the tallest building in my town has a total of 11 storeys I'm again forced to think "what the fuck..."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
But what puzzles me is why wasn't a tub built on the east side of Ground Zero before the Twins were built? I thought they had already done that before, seeing that the land must be kept dry.
The original Path terminal was there. They've only just removed it. Also, there were still buildings on that site, even after the Twin Towers were nearly topped out.

BTW, another crane is about to go up at the site...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:23 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Holy sweet new rendering. I just wish they could make the heights a little more realistic.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:29 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Rough height correction:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:36 PM
World Machine

Now i'm liking that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:48 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Holy sweet new rendering. I just wish they could make the heights a little more realistic.
You're right, and how often is it the case that its the other way around? This is especially the case in NYC where its so hard to make an impact on the skyline, anyone remember the "three sisters" rendering of 425 Fifth Avenue? Again, I can't wait for this project to come to fuition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive