HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:50 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Here in the Maritimes, the First Nation communities seem to embrace and take full advantage of a highway passing through or adjacent to their reserves.

The Millbrook First Nation at Truro straddles NS102 the main highway link between the Trans Canada and Halifax with a captive audience of about 22,000 vehicles per day. First an interchange was built and then the development of the “Truro Power Centre” began: Gas, Restaurants, Super 8 Hotel (and a new Hampton Inn under construction) Stores and a Mi’kmaq Cultural Centre.

http://www.truropowercentre.ca/

Just today in the Halifax Herald, there is an article on further development at the Membertou First Nation in Sydney where an interchange has been built at NS125. There will be an Arena and Sports Complex……they already have a Hampton Inn and Convention and Gaming Centre along with a “Big Box” shopping centre.

……and the Paqtnkek First Nation in Antigonish County is also planning a new interchange on TCH104 to begin a similar development of their lands.
It's the same around Thunder Bay. Our reserves, when located on Highways, are basically giant gas bars. It seems like every family on Fort William First Nation owns and operates a gas station/restaurant. Lake Helen First Nation is more pro-business than the PCs. Pic Mobert is also pretty pro-business. Some of the largest companies headquartered in Thunder Bay are actually owned and operated by groups of First Nations.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 7:12 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Just did the Calgary - Penticton & back drive. Only about 56kms left to twin between Golden & Alberta - will be nice to have this done. And then keep pecking away between Golden & Kamloops.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:17 PM
Urban Fanactic

Highway 69 twinning just south of Sudbury to become highway 400.
Highway 69/64 interchange.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Just did the Calgary - Penticton & back drive. Only about 56kms left to twin between Golden & Alberta - will be nice to have this done. And then keep pecking away between Golden & Kamloops.
Would love it if we can get the Yellowhead twinned as well from the Jasper National Park gates to Kamloops

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know the status for the Kicking Horse project between the Park Bridge and Golden? It seems that nothing has happend Phase 3B and 4 for a while and the project website hasn't been updated for over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Would love it if we can get the Yellowhead twinned as well from the Jasper National Park gates to Kamloops
Between the Carbou Connector (twinning Hwy 97 between Cache Creek and Prince George) and the Trans-Canada Highway; the Yellowhead being twinned probably won't happen until those projects are done.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 12:41 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Does anyone know the status for the Kicking Horse project between the Park Bridge and Golden? It seems that nothing has happend Phase 3B and 4 for a while and the project website hasn't been updated for over a year.
Drove back from Penticton to Calgary yesterday myself. There is no construction on the Kicking Horse Canyon. It's stalled for lack of funding. The somewhat good part is that the section left to be upgraded isn't that long anymore with the 4-laning East of Golden. The speed limit into Golden is too low. 60 is not reasonable for this 4-lane section.

I was surprised to encounter only two short delays for bridgework in the National Parks.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 5:31 AM

Does anybody have a map that shows what is and is not 4 lanes on the TCH between Kamloops and Banff? Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:22 PM
Dahvie Fan

Twinning of Highway 1 near Malakwa in B.C. announced.

current:

future:

New Malakwa Bridge Announced by TranBC, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:33 PM

There should be an announcement of a second bridge replacement in that area as well. I just forget the name. Good to see. I always seem to meet a semi right on that bridge.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Drove back from Penticton to Calgary yesterday myself. There is no construction on the Kicking Horse Canyon. It's stalled for lack of funding. The somewhat good part is that the section left to be upgraded isn't that long anymore with the 4-laning East of Golden. The speed limit into Golden is too low. 60 is not reasonable for this 4-lane section.

I was surprised to encounter only two short delays for bridgework in the National Parks.
The 95 Interchange (Phase 4 West) is not too expensive so it could go ahead easily if they wanted to. I think 80 km/h would be ideal in Golden given the design.

Phase 4 East - in the canyon itself - is among the toughest stretches of highway in all of Canada. It is estimated it will cost over $700 million just for those 4 km of highway, no matter how it is re-engineered. The only place that might come close is Rogers Pass.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:52 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Twinning of Highway 1 near Malakwa in B.C. announced.
Quote:
There should be an announcement of a second bridge replacement in that area as well. I just forget the name. Good to see. I always seem to meet a semi right on that bridge

Yayy!
Slowly . . . Little piece by little piece . . .

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:

Yayy!
Slowly . . . Little piece by little piece . . .
North Fork bridge is the second one. It is to the west of Malakwa Bridge.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:37 AM

Work ongoing to twin a new section of Highway 11/17 east of Thunder Bay, ON:

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:50 AM

That twinning is where, east of 587 towards Dorion?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
That twinning is where, east of 587 towards Dorion?
Naw, further west. This is maybe 5km east of the Hwy 527 intersection, but still west of when Hwy 11/17 crossest the CPR. This view is looking east.

I don't think any of the twinning is that far advanced near Nipigon. I think one of the contracts either just started this summer, or will start next spring.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:34 AM

Isn't the cable stayed bridge fairly far along? I thought it was under construction simply due to the longer lead time on it and the fact that the entire stretch is supposed to be done by 2017.

Also, anyone know when the next stretches of the 400 extension will start, specifically whether or not the native reserve issues they were having has been resolved? I think its fairly obvious at this point that a 2017 completion isn't going to happen unless they hand out contracts for around 100km of highways within the next 6 months.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:50 AM

So how much of the TCH east of Kamloops is now 4 lanes? Seems the TCH never differentiates between how many lanes it is.......any idea or links?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Isn't the cable stayed bridge fairly far along? I thought it was under construction simply due to the longer lead time on it and the fact that the entire stretch is supposed to be done by 2017.

Also, anyone know when the next stretches of the 400 extension will start, specifically whether or not the native reserve issues they were having has been resolved? I think its fairly obvious at this point that a 2017 completion isn't going to happen unless they hand out contracts for around 100km of highways within the next 6 months.
The Nipigon River bridge has been under construction for about a year now, but I think it's still got a few years of construction left. Looks like work is still ongoing to build the tower and the footings at this point.

At the Nipigon end, the Nipigon River bridge is under construction, and one of two new Trout Creek bridges west of Nipigon has been finished. Work on the first section of actual grading work for the first stretch of four lane highway has either just begun, or is just about to begin.

No idea when the next contract north of Nobel will commence. Looks like work is going to continue progressing from north to south for the mean time.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The Nipigon River bridge has been under construction for about a year now, but I think it's still got a few years of construction left. Looks like work is still ongoing to build the tower and the footings at this point.

At the Nipigon end, the Nipigon River bridge is under construction, and one of two new Trout Creek bridges west of Nipigon has been finished. Work on the first section of actual grading work for the first stretch of four lane highway has either just begun, or is just about to begin.

No idea when the next contract north of Nobel will commence. Looks like work is going to continue progressing from north to south for the mean time.
Are there going to be any interchanges on the new 11/17?

Also I think they should look into bypassing alignments for the 400 extension that stays out of the reserves? They should not have the right to blackmail the entire province for something that is not their jurisdiction.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:10 PM

There is one interchange I think, and its already been built on the edge of thunder bay. otherwise its just at grade intersections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada